• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Application for ozclan[NOT PASSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishtank

Hi there

Ive been playing on your ETPub server and really enjoy it. Ive played ET for ages and never been part of a clan. Im applying here because its anzac and that seems cool. Also the server is great! I asked while playing and the guys said to apply here. I play using the nickname [NZ]=Virilio=. Anyway let me know what you think. I could make a donation too.

Cheers
Morgan.

fishtank

Re: Application for ozclan

Ok a little more about me:

My name is Morgan Oliver, I live in Dunedin New Zealand. Im 32 years old and I have a Masters degree in Fine Art with a major in interactive media. I teach web design, animation and film making at The Otago School of Design. I guess my age makes me an old school gamer. I bought a commodore 64 with cassette drive when I was 11 and moved onto nintendo's and PC's soon after. For my masters degree I made a series of Unreal mods and a number of flash games.

I love ET, and have been playing it since it was released. I guess i want to be in a clan because i am interested in the community. I have only ever played as a guest and never experienced dedicated clan matches. Im not even sure what scrimmiging(?) is! I have a lot of interest in the nuts and bolts of modding and am sad that i have never had a chance to build content for ET. Im not sure what I can offer apart from good humour and years of experience playing games! I probably would have tried to join a clan earlier but ive lived in a tiny beach village for the last three years with no internet! Yes, no internet.

So there you have it. If there is no response or the answer is no i certainly wont be offended and you will still see Virilio (a french philosopher btw) tearing it up on the ozclan server! Thanks for your time!

Cheers
Morgan

Sunncaeks

Welcome to the OZ community! Good to see another NZ'er around here. ;]

I'm not sure if we're recruiting at the moment, but you never know what might happen. I know that some unexpected things have happened over the past week or so... Just as you say, keep ripping it up on the server and enjoy yourself. ;D

fishtank said:
... and you will still see Virilio (a french philosopher btw)
What sort of Philosophy was this Frenchman writing about?

fishtank

Paul Virilio said, among other things, that "train crashes didnt happen until we invented trains".

His overriding thesis is that technology is violent. He wrote an amazing book called 'War and Cinema', where he points out that the first motion film cameras were adapted from rotary machine guns. He talks about how technology mediates war more than ever, that war is conducted remotely through layers of screens, graphics and optics. That while things like embedded film crews and advanced telecommunications appear to bring us closer to war, we are in fact at the same time distanced from it, separated from it by the mediating intervention of technology. And I guess what makes him brilliant is that he wrote about this in the 60s. I wonder what he would think of online FPS. I wonder what he would think of America's Army (the game) for instance.

Sunncaeks

Well, that's pretty intriguing. I may have to read some of his works. So you could say he was a philosopher of Social philosophy? Postmodernism even? I'll stick to my Existential, Nihilism and Absurdism philosophy though, lol.

fishtank

I would say postmodern cultural theorist would describe him yeah. For me, even though he can be a bit gloomy, he reminds us to have a healthy cynicism about technology. That unrestrained progress is not necessarily the best course. Technology can hurt us. We should still use it it to our advantage, kind of like a surfer riding a big wave; it's fun but it might kill us at any moment, and if we ride it correctly we might come out the other side with a huge grin on our faces.

Hicksy

awesome. nice to meet you fishy.

how long ya been playing on our server for now?

what made you jump on the forums :D

Best thing to do is keep playing on the server a bit more as i have never seen you b4.

once you have become alittle bit more regular and we get to know you alittle more we can consider it :D

will keep an eye out for you. :D

keith

-OZ-Sunncaeks said:
Well, that's pretty intriguing. I may have to read some of his works. So you could say he was a philosopher of Social philosophy? Postmodernism even? I'll stick to my Existential, Nihilism and Absurdism philosophy though, lol.
Sartre, Nietzsche and Camus respectively? They would be the most common philosophers from those schools of thought, not to slight the contribution of myriad other thinkers. Given how Nietzsche abhorred Nihilism, I would have figured they were mutually exclusive philosophical positions. Existentialism and Absurdism are opposed to Nihilism by definition, although they share many similarities, and indeed the key differences lie in the conclusions they each draw.

fishtank

Hey thanks for the welcome guys. Might see you capturing those radar parts tonight. Dunno how many times ive captured those radar parts... they always come back.

G

Ok i'll be the nit picker.
fishtank said:
Ive been playing on your ETPub server and really enjoy it.
I have never seen you on the server at all, and acording to the tracker's you have had two games....
fishtank said:
I play using the nickname [NZ]=Virilio=.
http://www.gametracker.com
Doesn't reconside your gamer id at all.
I also have been playin since this game was released, never seen the name.

this is not personal, it just seems 2+2=5 in this case...

fishtank

@ OZ-KIT

you are right!

When i discovered this just last night i felt like a bit of a tool but here is what happened. i was playing on another australian server and i asked about their website and joining etc, and one of the players mysteriously directed me to the oz-clan site. for whatever reason (inattention) i didnt go 'hey this is a different clan", i just registered and prematurely started posting. then after meeting some of you guys i was all excited about going back online and having a game, but when i got there i realised it wasnt oz-clan at all! triple doh! you may wonder how this escaped my notice initially but it just did... anyway so i go back to your site and look up the IP address and finally login to the actual ozclan server (after a few downloads of course).

so yeah OZ-KIT you are bang on. im sorry if my mistake annoys anyone but at least i found oz-clan now and its an awesome server with lots of maps ive never even played! i hope to stick around for a while. im not now asking for clan membership or anything. The reason you might not have seen me is ive not played for a couple of years and i have changed my nick a few times.

aaaanyway. sorry for the confusion but now im going to stick with oz-clan server. even though you guys are better players and i got my ass handed to me.

cheers

G

You are always more than welcome to play on the OZ server , just follow the rules.
Didn't know there was another oz server/clan.
Like i said this wasn't a personal attack things just didn't add up and now they does.
Maybe see you in game.
KIT

Hicksy

dont care how u found us. could be in the back of a dirty mag while ur on the toilet for all i care :D

as long as your here now,u play nice, have fun and dont rage too much lol

most of all enjoy the GG -oz-server has to offer :D

anything ur not sure about put a post up in the appropriate section and im sure our trolls will get onto it straight away for ya :D

downloads for maps and updates etc can be found here

http://www.etozclan.com/files/

Enjoy

GG

Hicks

:flamer: :rnade:

Frogma

fishtank said:
Im 32 years old and I have a Masters degree in Fine Art with a major in interactive media. I teach web design, animation and film making at The Otago School of Design. For my masters degree I made a series of Unreal mods and a number of flash games.
This man made this mistake?
fishtank said:
i was playing on another australian server and i asked about their website and joining etc, and one of the players mysteriously directed me to the oz-clan site. for whatever reason (inattention) i didnt go 'hey this is a different clan", i just registered and prematurely started posting. then after meeting some of you guys i was all excited about going back online and having a game, but when i got there i realised it wasnt oz-clan at all!
whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.