• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

FREE FREE FREE Windows

Baker Street

ET Moderator
So MS has sent me a one time only never repeated once in a lifetime offer - a full upgrade online to W10, with nothing to pay and mine to keep forever. When has MS ever done anything for free?

So whats the catch? Is it a dog? Some reviewers say W10 is just a sexy W7. My W7 behaves beautifully and if something aint broke ...

The downsides I have been able to find -

* no windows media player (who used it anyway)
* no free card games (only used by bored out of their gourds IT employees with desks backing onto a wall - been there)

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Ulti

HA i had the exact same thing happen to me after an update, now i have a "get windows 10" icon at the bottom of my screen...
but yeah i share the same thoughts baker, love windows 7 and if it aint broke why fix it + ive also heard about the compatibility issues with 10
Think ill just stick with what i know

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Likewise with Ulti, not upgrading till there's a genuine reason to do so, don't particularly enjoy screwing up my OS.

Sh1rts

I don't get the hate towards Win 8/8.1, and 10 is just a better version of that. We have a developer preview of it here and it's good. Sure the Metro Apps/Store thing is pointless crap (for desktops anyway) but I actually liked using Windows 8 - the shortcuts, the start screen and other new features are actually good and useful once you've got your head round them - and 10 from what I've seen is better.

We play ET at werk on a Friday arvo if we're not busy, and I've played Age of Empires on it, they're both pretty old games so no compatibility issues for me so far with 8; I don't think they're re-doing the kernel or hardware abstraction layer for Win 10 so can't see it causing any problems either. In fact I'll try ET and some other old games and emulators on the Win 10 machine and report back.

Didn't bother upgrading 7 at home cos unlike work, I'd have to pay. 7 is good. Will be buying a new machine this year with 10 on it tho

PS I love Ubuntu. That's a real OS. Come at me :pigeon:

Zulu

So MS has sent me a one time only never repeated once in a lifetime offer - a full upgrade online to W10, with nothing to pay and mine to keep forever. When has MS ever done anything for free?

So whats the catch? Is it a dog? Some reviewers say W10 is just a sexy W7. My W7 behaves beautifully and if something aint broke ...

The downsides I have been able to find -

* no windows media player (who used it anyway)
* no free card games (only used by bored out of their gourds IT employees with desks backing onto a wall - been there)

Any thoughts ?
Like most windows upgrades....actually a re-install everything from scratch. Never ever have to do this on a Mac.
Also, that stupid icon inviting you to sign up for windows X has no close button and all the choices lead to same place..you're signing up for a version of windows that is not yet available. They're just following other OS brands, after many years of charging bucketloads of $$$ for a crappy OS that came with zero useful apps.
All hail microsoft.

thewholecake

teh cake just use linux. it free anyway. an it runs way better. much easier to use too. u can just get software from repository. slowly windows get features linux had for yonks.
windows always had a magic element to it that u never quite knew why it was going slow. it just a dishonest system. and a mess. dialog boxes & things are a jungle. it even wormst in teh new windows.

cake say one thing for that windows 8 thing. it work with touch screens. everboydy should have touch screens. ever since cake have touch screen he always finger teh monitor, wether it touch one or not :(

TopCAt!

Got my Windows 10 upgrade. So far so good... runs very well. Tiles integrate nicely, very fast, cant complain. App store a bit weak though.... devs want to sell so all gone to apple.
Considered reverting back to linux, but windows can do what linux cant eg
-use photoshop
-stream movies
-play games
-use google drive
-exist in the modern era

So ill stay in Gates' pocket for now

matilda

DerpLyfe
Hey Topcat, does your ET run ok under Windows 10?
The warmonger came on tonight just after he upgraded to 10 and said ET was very sluggish.
I really don't want to move to 10 if ET doesn't run properly.

TopCAt!

Hey Topcat, does your ET run ok under Windows 10?
The warmonger came on tonight just after he upgraded to 10 and said ET was very sluggish.
I really don't want to move to 10 if ET doesn't run properly.
Hey mat yes runs fine.... not better or worse as far as i can tell ingame however it is quicker to load by probably 0.5 sec lol
Warmongers eyes might not be as fast they used to be haha
But semi related... I couldnt run The new Order without doing a driver reload in preparation for it then reverting back for any other game (strange scenario, due to sound)
But after the windows 10 upgrade everything works straight up, not sure why.... its odd but ill take it
Older AMD QuadCore system with Radeon gfx