• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Gaming computer???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really depends on the budget, but for $ vs performance;

CPU: Intel i5 760 2.8GHz 1156skt - Specs
Price: $230

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Price: $85

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3 - Specs
Price: $150

Memory: 4GB G.Skill R55 "Ripjaws" DDR3-1600 CAS7 - Specs
Price: $115

PSU: Corsair 650w HX-650
Price: $145

Optical: Pioneer 22x SATA DVR-218BK
Price: $35

LCD: Samsung P2350 23"
Price: $235

TOTAL: ~$1500

+ hdd and/or SSD, case, audio. <--- i presume you already have these from your current computer

The Admiral

I know I'm a little crazy and all, but if I were to buy a gaming computer, I think I might want it to have a dedicated graphics card perhaps.

Also, what's with including ODD? If he's reusing his case, he'd reuse his ODD too. Maybe PSU and screen too, depending on what they were like.

The Admiral said:
I know I'm a little crazy and all, but if I were to buy a gaming computer, I think I might want it to have a dedicated graphics card perhaps.

Also, what's with including ODD? If he's reusing his case, he'd reuse his ODD too. Maybe PSU and screen too, depending on what they were like.
They are just basic components. For GPU probably go with the 6850

The Admiral

You'd go i5 760 over 750? 400GHz for a small L3 cache increase isn't it? I guess you can just overclock the 760 if you needed it faster though.

6850 is top price vs performance, yeah.

Why not a Blu-ray drive? I know it's a gaming PC, but Blu-ray is pretty much the standard now.

Death_Reincarnated

Iposted this before...

MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E-Pro ($195)
CPU: Core i5-650 (3.2GHz) (2x CPU) ($193)
RAM: 4G Kit ddr3 2000 Kingston T1 ($125)
GPU: 1GB GTX460 ASUS ($217)
PSU: Coolermaster GX Power (650W) ($109)
CASE: REALLY UP TO YOU

TOTAL: $839+CASE

Not top end but very high up there. Plus you never...NEVER buy top end parts.

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
Plus you never...NEVER buy top end parts.
Yeah buy old fart stuff, pimp it up like a ricer then wonder why everything is broken after 3months.
Buy top end stuff that you can afford because you get what you pay for.

The Admiral

pedobear said:
hellboy said:
5850>6850
unless your planning to crossfire then the 6800 series is better
My understanding was that the 6850 was about $100 cheaper, used less power, and was only the tiniest bit less powerful, making it the best price vs performance card on the market?

I could be wrong though.

Death_Reincarnated

nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Plus you never...NEVER buy top end parts.
Yeah buy old fart stuff, pimp it up like a ricer then wonder why everything is broken after 3months.
Buy top end stuff that you can afford because you get what you pay for.
Dude are you serious? Is this how you interpreted my post?

You don't buy top end parts because:

1) They are overpriced for the perforamnce they offer
2) New and better parts come out every 3 months
3) Unless you are going for computer modelling and such you dont need top end parts
4) To maximize the performance of ONE top end part requires everything to be top end thus escalating the overall cost
5) Moore's Law

So you see nelots this is WHY you dont buy to end computer or even electronics stuff...nothing to do with buying a s**t box like YOU suggested. Oh and when you do buy a sht box such as a 1957 falcon and do it up and refresh it...you will get more money for it than for many normal every day cars.

/FF

pedobear

The Admiral said:
[quote="pedobear,":2h4ehqvb]
hellboy said:
5850>6850
unless your planning to crossfire then the 6800 series is better
My understanding was that the 6850 was about $100 cheaper, used less power, and was only the tiniest bit less powerful, making it the best price vs performance card on the market?

I could be wrong though.[/quote:2h4ehqvb]

the 5850 is anywhere from $18 - $2 more expencive from http://www.msy.com.au and you get better performance from it.
but seeing as they are running out of the 5800 series (i wanted to get a 5870 but they ran out) the 6850 is probably your safest option

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
Dude are you serious? Is this how you interpreted my post?
Learn to troll and actually read the un-fine print
"Buy top end stuff that you can afford because you get what you pay for."
Death_Reincarnated said:
So you see nelots this is WHY you dont buy to end computer or even electronics stuff...nothing to do with buying a s**t box like YOU suggested. Oh and when you do buy a sht box such as a 1957 falcon and do it up and refresh it...you will get more money for it than for many normal every day cars./FF
So much fail where do I even start...............

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Death_Reincarnated said:
5) Moore's Law
At the risk of getting in the middle of a D_R vs butz epic, isn't moore's law universally understood to be dead now?

nelots

timewilltell said:
and everyone of the systems suggested have in-adequate power supplies!
Lol, you dont need 850w PSU's for those suggested specs, they can happily run off 650w or the 700w-750w range without a hitch.
The fine print is getting a good quality PSU instead of those no name ones you find during council pick-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.