• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Iphone Supporting Flash!

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
The developer of the widely used Flash programming language has devised a way to translate its code to run on Apple's iPhone -- a move that could dramatically boost the variety of applications for the iPhone.

Programs written with Adobe's Flash programming language currently cannot run on Apple's popular smart phone.

Adobe has spent several years trying without success to persuade Apple to make technical changes to the device's software that would make it possible for Flash programs to run on the iPhone.

In the absence of an agreement with Apple, Adobe announced on Monday that it will introduce a tool that lets computer programmers easily convert software applications that they write in the Flash programming language to code that will work on the iPhone.

Flash is designed so that programmers can write one set of code that run on multiple types of computers and mobile devices, including ones using software from Google Inc, Microsoft Corp, Nokia and Palm Inc.

The iPhone has been the only major handset provider that has declined to collaborate with Adobe.

The new option that Adobe announced on Monday will allow developers to create a second piece of software that they can distribute through Apple's App store.

"It's basically an export capability," said Adrian Ludwig, a manager with Adobe's Flash group.

He said in an interview that Apple has yet to agree to work with Adobe to clear two key technical hurdles that would enable Flash applications to run on the iPhone.

"The ball is in their court at this point. We've been very blunt about what we need and what we are requesting," Ludwig said in an interview.

A spokesman for Apple could not be reached for comment.

Adobe said in a press release that it will release a public trial version of the tool for converting Flash programs into ones that will run on the iPhone later this year.

(Reporting by Jim Finkle; Editing Bernard Orr)

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
My opinion, Its probably a good move, Iphone are by far surpassing all other mobile hand held devices like Blackberry's and all other PDA's. I don't see a reason not to besides money being involved. Although they plan to release a beta now for their conversion tool what was the hold up about?

Lestat

Apple .. how, why? they are the market leader now ? are they not? in Mobile phones and mp3? every cool kid want's and ipod or a iTouch? is that what it is .. Bill Gates destroyed apple way back when .. and now look.I guess if u get fcked in the ass on pc tech... you branch out to other tech ..which is what Apple has done.I myself will never ever buy an Apple product Ever.Mobile's ill stick to nokia.PC's well ill build my own.I can bet that any and all Apple products are run with samsung chip's.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Dell are growing quite quickly in my opinion, they are definitely one of the leaders in the IT industry for laptop production and retail. And I can't log in atm to msn, need to recover my password Ill do it soon... :).

superMINGE

this is a brilliant move. anyone that can code in AS 3.0 will be getting a lot more jobs and a lot more $$$$$

Plus Adobe had to think of something to keep them going, as HTML 5 which is about to be released no longer needs flash plugins or anything to do with flash/shockwave etc.

It's a smart move but also covering their asses from losses such as html 5 will give them.

Trigger Happy

The only problem with the flash converter is that the apps look like crap haha.
They look really dodgy.
You will never get true flash on the iphone since apple will never allow any runtime to run on their OS.
Screw the iphone though, nokia n900 is going to be the most ultimate phone ever. Can't wait till it comes out.

Cheers

nelots

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
Screw the iphone though, nokia n900 is going to be the most ultimate phone ever. Can't wait till it comes out.
Cheers
HTC HD2 > n900, then again theyre both shit so buy yourself an LG :D

Trigger Happy

@butz, HD2 is nice, but it ain't close to n900.
@BR, well basically hardware wise, iphone 3gs and n900 run mostly the same stuff. So you have a lot of raw power in your pocket right there. So what is the main difference between the two?
Linux.
Maemo 5 is based on Debian and even has xterminal built in. You may ask, "What does this mean to me?". Well, put simply, you can gain root access to the device in less than 5 minutes. You download a package off a repository and type gainroot, viola, root access.
Did I mention it's linux? A zillion applications are sitting around that need minor changes to be ported, mainly it is just changing the GUI and stuff. Think, "there's an app for that" but on a bigger scale with no one standing over to approve your application. But I like the app store, it makes me feel nice that they are all easy to find and stuff. Well we gotcha covered there too, Maemo have their own app store where apps are easily downloaded, you just have the choice to install anything you want from any repository if you want to.
Ok so enough of the nerd stuff, you just want something flashy right? That's why you bought the iphone in the first place. Well, Maemo is pretty slick if you ask me. Multitasking? Of course. A very intuitive system is used that shows all the apps in windows at a click of the screen.
What about the home screen? I need a lot of space to put stuff you know. Is 4 customisable screens enough space? You can put whatever widgets/contacts/bookmarks you want on any 4 of them (and can turn them off if you don't want so many).
Hope that helps ;)

Cheers

The Admiral

iPhone has the cult following. I highly doubt it'll get overtaken any time soon.

Expensive for a phone, but I got my 8GB 3G when Mum upgraded her contract to $50/month and got it for free with Optus. Because she likes her old school Nokia which has to be the first to have a colour screen or something.

They're too pretty to get overtaken. Tech guys always argue 'more powerful' or 'more blah', but the iPhone has a massive following already. Here in Australia, there is hardly anything that competes with it. Optus/Telstra etc push it tonnes. How many ads on TV are there for the latest Nokia? The following is what keeps the iPhone strong.

They're fun. Most people that aren't CEO's use their iPhone more for games than for phone stuff. No other phone can compete with the fun factor that they have. Playing Hockey against friends in Chemistry is so awesome. The iPhone wins the 'smart-phone' battle because it's a smart-phone, AND a games device.

On topic: Apple will never allow full Flash. Though it would be semi-nice if someone could hack the iPhone OS massively and allow Flash. Jailbroken iPhones are so superior to normal iPhones anyway.The iPhone doesn't support Flash, Apple merely allowed Flash developers to easily convert their code into iPhone-compliant code. With HTML 5, Flash on websites is going to begin dying down, rightfully so. The sooner it is gone, the better. HTML-based video and sound is just going to be a trillion times better.

Trigger Happy

I'm not saying that the iphone will be overtaken, I am saying that to anyone who wants to use their phone outside of the sandbox apple creates would go the nokia n900. I'm the kind of guy that likes to program for my phone and I'm not going to buy a mac and a license just do so. The nokia n900 isn't really a phone that an average user would get due to its weight and things like that, but for those that can handle the dimensions and have a spark to do more than download from an app store, a n900 is a great device.
I think the iphone is a great device for certain people, don't get me wrong. There are things personally that I couldn't handle on the iphone such as no multitasking that make it a deal breaker for me.
To answer some questions though, there are no ads because it isn't out yet :p
Games can be the same on both devices, sure there may not be the exact games since there isn't as much of an incentive to create for linux compared to iphone due to the open nature, however a lot of games do get ported and a lot of high-graphic type games can run flawlessly due to the hardware rendering.
Maemo also has full flash capabilities :p
Just go watch some youtube videos of the n900 though and see it for yourself. You may be an apple man and that is fine, but I think it would be foolish to say the n900 is a "blah" phone until you see what it can do ;)

Cheers

The Admiral

Not an Apple man. I got my iPhone for free. They're pretty and are liked by plenty of people. But I agree, far too restrictive. Though OS 3.0 releases a lot of those restrictions. And jailbroken iPhones release even more, and allow for multi-tasking, which makes things easier.

I think there are quite a few nicer phones out there. Several of the HTC touch-screen phones looked really really nice. But with price tags over $1k, quite out of my reach.

Does anyone on here have a hackintosh?

nelots

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
@butz, HD2 is nice, but it ain't close to n900.
Was only kidding about the HD2 hence the LG remark............ Everyone knows HTC is a piece of crap regardless of their so called 'improvements' with revised models.

nelots

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
HTC is better than LG IMO. Omnia line isn't that great.
Really depends on the intended use of the device, for me Omnia is the bomb everything else can suck Eric Cartman's balls!

In general:

Iphones = fanboys or suckers to marketing
n900 = nerds(William Hung style gleeks)
Omnia = cool kids :)