• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

lag - solved

Trigger Happy

I get it too with the normal task manager.
It is because you are logged in as admin and the process has a do-not-modify flag of sorts set so no one can change it's priority etc etc. You can get around this two different ways:
1. Use a limited access account - this will restrict the control the process has and you can log in as admin into the task manager and change it's priority that way as you will now have higher access.
2. Use Process Explorer (free download from MS I think it is) - As everyone says, it is Task Manager on steroids and gives you much higher control of the processes and you can set it that way.

Cheers

gemanix

-OZ-Hicksy said:
cant set pb to below norm access denied
click the "show processes from all users" button, and it'll challenge you to go superuser. then you can reassign priority.

Death_Reincarnated

ET is based on Q3 engine and back then PCs had one CPU for programming. For mutli CPU PCs its best to set ET to run on one CPU since the game it self is programmed to run on one CPU. I have dual core @3GHz and ET only consumes 25% of my resources.

It is possible that your hardware/netowrking cannot keep up if ET is consumming more than 80% of the resources. Remember to turn off other programs s that they do not eat up your resources IF you find that ET takes nearly all of them to run it.

One thing I have come across before regarding this lag issue is to do with setting your refresh rate (i.e FPS) with the rate of the information that you receive from the server. If for example they are offset then the result might be this lag spike at some point during gameplay. This might be imbeded in the lagometer as the yellow/blue triangles really become big i.e. interpolation/extrapolation is the process but if the FPS/rate ratio at some point becomes off set then it might cause to skip information and cause a lag spike. The way to see this is if your ping is stable yet a sudden (seen) lag spike occurs and your lagometer (might) show it as a huge yellow.blue triangle...or perhaps nothing since the information has been skipped...its really hard to see this but this kind of lag spiking is hardware driven rather than connection.

Antagonist

i suffer from disgusting lag all the time on this server... the best way ive found to try minimize it is to much around with my maxpackets, 30 is broken, i lag heaps and there doesnt seem to be much of a change in my ping, @ 50 my ping goes down, but i still suffer from spikes as the population increases on the server. 76 is fairly stable but once the population increases its crazy + it adds about 30 ping to my standard ping which is basically 98-100 ( so i go to about 120-130 base ).
60 seems to be the magic number for me, my ping only goes up by about 10 but it becomes quite stable, not until i get to about 28-30 ppl does the lag start again ( but et was never meant for 30 ppl hencing why everyone lags with that much ).