• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

lag - solved

gemanix

i get really bad performance in game, but pretty good pings. my pings sit about 45-50ms when idle, but up to 180ms when shooting and fragging.
i always figured it was just my connection to the internet, but today something made me recheck my assumptions.

i did a test: my computer pinged upward of 150ms in firefights, while my other computer (from just a cmd prompt) was pinging normally. had to be my computer!
i note that ET consumes 90-100% cpu at all times. i wondered if there was enough cpu left for windows networking (i only have 1 core / 1 cpu)

went into task manager, right-click et.exe, set priority to below normal... the results speak for themselves...
left = before. right = after
[attachment=0:2kfefc4i]lagometer.gif[/attachment:2kfefc4i]
the left picture is typically a lot worse with more yellow.

bit of a pain setting priority every time. i may yet work out a "start /belownormal" batch file...
hopefully this helps someone else with lag.

cheers -g

Attachments

Lucky

Hey i was going to try that. BUT i couldent find my ET.exc is there any other ways to find it and fix it

G-Train

Nice tip Gem, I already go in there to set affinity so the extra step will not be a major issue.

Ill let you know how i go.

gemanix

G-Train said:
Nice tip Gem, I already go in there to set affinity so the extra step will not be a major issue.

Ill let you know how i go.
if you have multiple cpus, then this 'fix' will have no effect. it's only when your cpu is completely consumed, it has no time to do normal networking.

Lucky

OK lol no one answerd my qestion. I tryed that but it didint come up with ET.exc is there anyother way please some one answer me

Joke :D

Thekid said:
OK lol no one answerd my qestion. I tryed that but it didint come up with ET.exc is there anyother way please some one answer me
a) do you have ET open? because if its not open its not running
b) did you do ctrl+alt+del -> processes ?

if not do both

:D

Messenjah

ET cant take advantage of multiple cpus can it? I was under the impression it just used one (even if you have dual or quad)

I used to have to do that fix with my old pc . I had to set pnkbsterB.exe to below normal too =[

gemanix

Messenjah said:
ET cant take advantage of multiple cpus can it? I was under the impression it just used one (even if you have dual or quad)
nah it cant. i think it's pretty picky about using just the one too, which is why you've got to set affinity to one cpu.
my point was, if you have two cores/cpus, then one will handle et, while the other does networking.