• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Lockheed Martin puts computer on flash drive

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Lockheed Martin puts computer on flash drive

Trade in your laptop.

U.S. government workers and others may soon be able to trade their laptops for a secure flash drive sized for a key ring, Lockheed Martin Corp, the world's biggest aerospace company, said Tuesday.

Lockheed said its new "IronClad" brand USB drive would pack an entire operating system, software, settings and files onto a flash drive that could be used with virtually any computer in the world.

The operating system runs directly off the flash drive. As a result, a user's files never touch the borrowed computer's hard drive and the device leaves no trace where it was plugged in, the company said.

Each device is fully encrypted and designed to act as a "node" in an organisation's computer network. Managers control their security policies, track their status and location and determine what may be installed on them.

The drives are built to be tamper proof in a solid metal casing that protects against heat, cold, sand and water. Lockheed says it could remotely send a self-destruct command if the gizmo were ever lost or stolen.

The drives will sell for US$350 with 8 gigabytes of storage and US$450 with 16 gigabytes via the U.S. government's General Services Administration schedule. The schedule is a kind of catalogue that lets any U.S. federal agency or department buy equipment or technology at a specified price.

In addition, Lockheed will charge a service fee of US$199 per device per year for its network management system, said Matthew Kramer, a spokesman for Lockheed's Information Systems & Global Services business unit.

"For now, we see federal agencies and large organisations as the ideal users because of the network that sits behind IronClad," he said. "Further down the road, we think it'd great for anyone who'd love to swap a laptop for a drive the size of a stick of gum."

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
A few things... I really don't see this working out well with current speeds of USB 2.0/hi speed even. Pherhpas when USB 3.0 arrives with its hoped 3.0gb/s then we can look at some hope, but until then loading up a Live OS from a removable storage device has been done how many times before, why the hell would you trade it in for your laptop..

Am I missing the logic in the report somewhere..

Cheers, BR

Hicksy

not to mention driver compatability.

how are they going to get a intel spec pc on the key to run on an amd setup for instance.

micky

-OZ-Black Racoon said:
U.S. government workers and others
In other words the people that get all the advanced technology that the public doesnt even know about.
like for example the people doing covert ops for the CIA and no doubt the NSA.

Inglourious Basterd

-OZ-Hicksy said:

how are they going to get a intel spec pc on the key to run on an amd setup for instance.

Virtual PC on the flashdrive? Using generic drivers for the hardware.. mouse, keyboard, monitor

The host PC supplying the power and network access.

Hicksy

was talking more for os cpu and mainboard etc

like if u do a system rebuild and its the same chipset etc then u can pretty much use the old hardrive and existing os and have all the data.

but if u were say to change from say VIA chipset to intel chipset you would have to do a fresh install. same if it was and intel system swapping to an amd

i0nwr1t3r

So if I understand the article correctly,"their just putting an O/S on a flash drive" with GPS? Some sort of universal networking & self-destruct capability.

James Bond is awaiting first shipment :D

-OZ-Black Racoon said:
A few things... I really don't see this working out well with current speeds of USB 2.0/hi speed even. Pherhpas when USB 3.0 arrives with its hoped 3.0gb/s then we can look at some hope, but until then loading up a Live OS from a removable storage device has been done how many times before, why the hell would you trade it in for your laptop..
Cheers, BR
USB 3.0 is already out,but I wouldn't go near it before there is some sort of ISO standard?

http://digihub.smh.com.au/node/1423

-OZ-Hicksy said:

ROFL,why Windoze Update of course!! Turn your 4GB O/S into 10GB after installing updates for the various machines you connected to in your travels with 90% consumed by the driver cache. :twisted:

But the true "Gem" in this article was the 50% cost of the item as a yearly subscription service, +1 for consumables.

A lot of serious network admins won't allow flash drives to be connected to their internal networks or having "Auto-Run Disabled" on Micro$oft based systems because of the number viruses transmitted through un-educated users thereby bypassing all the network parameters set to stop that kind of incursion into the network.

Finally,anyone ever hear about various Ministers & Public Servants losing Lap-tops every so often in public places with sensitive information on them,just imagine the rate of loss with something the size of 3-4 keys on the keyboard of what they're already "Temporarily Misplacing" now.

Cheers

i0n

Inglourious Basterd

-OZ-Hicksy said:
was talking more for os cpu and mainboard etc

like if u do a system rebuild and its the same chipset etc then u can pretty much use the old hardrive and existing os and have all the data.

but if u were say to change from say VIA chipset to intel chipset you would have to do a fresh install. same if it was and intel system swapping to an amd
Marinated in Wild Turkey for the compatibility of the new technology... :p

Hmmm...Perhaps Some sort of new compatibility software?

The Admiral

I'd imagine speeds close-ish to what the SSD's in external USB 3 enclosures get. OCZ Vertex 2 got something like 200MB/s read or write or something. Which is over double most internal laptop drives.

Lightpeak is coming out soon too. This year apparently. USB3 is already here though, with the new HP Envy 15's sporting it. They'll probably end up having a USB3/Lightpeak port like the USB2/eSATA ports currently around.

I'd imagine generic drivers would be fine. They're government workers. They don't need video drivers for their 3d games. It would greatly add to the portability factor if it was just a small USB, or even the size of a portable hard drive that you had to carry around. I think I'd rather have a nice and pretty laptop instead though.

the whole cake

I dont understand. These have been around for years already. You can just download any ISO for a linux distro and put it on a USB key. Its how you install Ubuntu on netbooks.

There's even the capability that if you plug it into a system already booted into Windows, a virtual machine will load and your desktop appears in the virtual machine. At least on some systems.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

I myself have a few distros lying around on SD cards. For example when I want to do scientific stuff on networks I can boot into backtrack http://www.backtrack-linux.org/tutorials/usb-live-install/.

Eheheheheh u windows noobs :p So behind.

To be honest guys its actually not slow at all. And when you boot off a flash drive there's no reason to have any less functionality. For example, when you boot into the Ubuntu installation CD/usb its actually the entire system. Your 'rescue environment' is literally a full installed system running off the CDROM/USB key. Installation is mearly copying the contents to a hard drive partition and a bootloader. Drivers taken care of too. 99% of drivers load when booted from the setup USB/CD.

Trigger Happy

They have been booting windows on usb for years too.
The point of LM making this is that it is secure and something people can "trust".

Cheers

the whole cake

Yeah even then, its still just a config away with a regular operating system. Its not like auditing isn't available just cos your using a desktop OS.
Really strange thing to make an expensive product out of. Kinda like bottled water. I wonder if it'll sell really well too.

This reminds me of something else that was cool. There's a linux distro somewhere (forget the name) which reads the entire contents on the boot media into memory (a few gigs, yeah) and then runs entirely in RAM. The aim was to prevent being able to find out history of the machine by reading the hard disk/boot media for swap file, disk activity, etc.. Bloody fast too I would figure after it finally booted up.

lithium

Haha I was sitting here readin this thread and thinking the whole entire time, doesn't anyone realise people have been doing this for years? xP Good work on that cake :D

There's a linux distro somewhere (forget the name) which reads the entire contents on the boot media into memory (a few gigs, yeah)
Haha you can do that with a few distro's I'd suggest going with Damn Small Linux its only 50mb much better for fitting into ram :p When you get to the boot menu just type dsl toram and it loads the whole 50mb into ram :p

Trigger Happy

LM are just being smart. Why would people buy linux on a stick? People know it is Open Source and will just go make it themselves. Making it slimlined XP gives familiarity to what is already the dominant OS at the moment, while saying that it is "secure" etc etc marketing hype here.
Take Apple for example, the products they make are quite simple and most people go "zomg anyone could make that" but the difference being that Apple have a kick ass marketing team and know how to make people buy their stuff no matter what it is. Hell, Apple could sell a turd on a stick and people would buy it because it is familiar to people.
LM are going on this basis, it is familiar to people along with some whizbang security things on top and with the networking node thing or whatever too makes people think "I want it".
When linux has even a quarter of the selling prowess that Apple's marketing team have, they will be able to penetrate the market in a larger sense. Till then, it is widely considered as a geeks OS.

Cheers

the whole cake

Trigger thats off topic. Take it somewhere else like a linux/windows flamewar thread. Im not interested in continuing this 'linux isnt a mainstream OS' thing with you. Go that way --->

Trigger Happy

Nah I'm good, it is a discussion on the OS on a stick. If you can't see how my post ties in with that then you perhaps need to see past your fanboism.
If you can't handle the conversation, you know where the door is.

Cheers