• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Looking for mapscripts

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking for a goldrush mapscript for yonks (has also been requested a bit), wondering if anyone else has it or something like it.

What it does:
Once allies have taken the truck with the gold, default axis spawn is moved to allies first spawn so that they have a chance to defend, allies have the second spawn, can't remember if they gained bank spawn.

The one on server at the moment doesn't work properly, and is supposed to move axis spawn. (81,373 bytes)

Zulu

Using etscript 4 beta 2 and pk3 creator or something else for editing?
or u only entertain idea of pre-packaged off-the-shelf map/models/scripts just how you want it?
Cant be hard to edit a mapscript.

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Either, either. I was not aware of the first program, but will have a look. I was hoping for a pre-done one since it is mentioned in a few places, and most servers are happy to share such things.

If I had more time I would have a go at it, models I have out the wazzoo, same for scripts; just all the 'wrong' ones.

I'll start with trying to add walls then work up to spawns, since they come across as being a bit more tricky.

Zulu

do i need anything to run own server for testing that is like oz server apart from what we all have? not talking about any admin things. just so it behaves in game authentically like oz etpub?

Zulu

Sorry for the delay. I did look at the mapscript, but there aren't more (useful) spawn points in this version of the map so as to play around with.
There are various other versions of this map where tank has to go all the way downstairs, more barriers during endgame and another spawn for axis near med rack.
So unfortunately the version on server has not much useful control via mapscript.

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Ah well, thank you for looking.

I've not really pursued much et stuff since getting the farm, less and less 'free' time.

Burgo855

It's not impossible to do, you dont need to use a particular mod to test it either, mapscripts are mostly just tested with /map oasis etc basically a etmain test run, the reason why we do this is so we can test the location your character is in in-game with x and y coords etc to map it out perfectly, the cvars you use to read this are often cheat protected ones on proper servers, hence why you just run a etmain game and test it all out using the built-in ET debug CVARS. Once created and you feel comfortable with it, then you can test it more on a password locked server or on a home server running the mod your server runs off, running it on a online server is better to see and test how your omni-bots adjust to these changes..

A few of us changed the ammo station and health racks around on maps a few years back on our old servers. Once you have a few cracks at it and get the gist of it its not impossible. There is a few rules of thumb you need to follow, such as how many custom objects you add to the file, if its too many or too large you will have issues.

You only need the original map script and work from that. You shouldn't need to modify mod files or pk3's.

A lot of mapscripts that are modified can be found here: http://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5932

And if your super serious about it, just read a few threads linked from this one or even a lot of the comments theres a lot of advice just in the above link on changing spawn locations on one of the default map scripts, bit of study and reading and you can make one for any map.

Hope it helps guys.

Last edited:

Zulu

What r u talking about Burgo?
The map file itself needs to have the co-ordinates for places on the map where spawn is possible for each team. Then with the mapscript you can enable or disable these spawns at whatever times suits. This particular map doesn’t have more spawn points so it would require editing map and mapscript, recompile and package into entirely new pk3. This we don’t want to do, although it can be done. Since there’s already versions of this map with additional spawn points and barriers etc, we don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

Aside from that, why do you bother to chirp in with obviously very little knowledge of how things work? I know how to run local server. Adding spawn points has nothing to do with cars. I’m not trying to inflate my I.T. skills, rather it seems you understand little about these tech topics and you’re trying to show that you know something. But most of what you’ve written is your poor understanding of things you’ve heard and you’re trying to relay your poor knowledge of the subject matter. It helps no-one really.

TopCAt!

That link says if spawn points are already defined you shouldn't change them via map script only or it may not work? Which would imply you'd need the source of the original .pk3, modify and recompile if it is to be reliable?

Zulu

I never found anything like that in the docos and tutorials. So whilst it's cool that you can, it's completely impractical without using gtkradiant map editor for co-ordinates. So I'm afraid I still can't give it to Burgo for coming up with the vague idea without detail that Fern provided. It's not like I have it in for Burgo or anything, in fact he's stalking me trying to prove me wrong or something. Grow a tree or something Burgo or just play and avoid talking about cvars.

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Coordinates shouldn't be very hard, walk there, do /pos(?) and adjust as necessary, not a whole lot different than other old game modding.

Impracticalities aside, only a very small number of maps actually have their source released so gtkradient is more useless than useful, generally.

Zulu

Coordinates shouldn't be very hard, walk there, do /pos(?) and adjust as necessary, not a whole lot different than other old game modding.

Impracticalities aside, only a very small number of maps actually have their source released so gtkradient is more useless than useful, generally.
Cool, so it continues? After gold is stolen axis should spawn near ammo rack right?