• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

new quake or wolfenstien

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.qj.net/author/65/karl-b/page-1.htmlPosted May 1, 2011 at 5:32PM EST by Karl B.

Id Software's action / RPG Rage is coming out before this year's QuakeCon, so it's not too farfetched to think that the studio may already have a new project ready to be announced at the annual event. Thanks to id's physical growth as a studio and a change in its philosophy, the studio's upcoming projects may include IPs that were previously doled out to other developers like Quake and Wolfenstein.

Speaking to ShackNews, senior producer Jason Kim elaborated on the changes that id has undergone, both in terms of the size of its staff and its approach on the creation of new games. He also confirmed that there's still a chance that id might try its hand on a new Quake or Wolfenstein game.

"Our studio has grown a lot, not just in size but also in design and art process, and even a technology standpoint," he said. "John [Carmack] has admitted he can't do everything on his own. There are a lot of smart guys that are required to be able to make a game these days. He can't just lock himself up in a room, come out with an engine, and say okay, make a game with this."

"We have Quake; we have Wolfenstein," said Kim. "If people want that, we have the IPs to deliver it. And we have a different approach now; we're forging a new path. I think we can freshen those things up...we don't have anything in the works right now but I think when we start talking about different things we can do with the other properties that we have I hope people are receptive to what we want to do and what we think would be fun for players to experience coming out of id Software."

Quake 4 was developed by the studio's frequent collaborator Raven Software, who incidentally also developed the most recent console WOlfenstein game. The aforementioned Rage is currently slated for release this September on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. An iOS version has also been confirmed. The studio is also working on the next entry in the Doom franchise

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Good Find Phill, I think that, if they release a new Wolfenstein, Ex Wolf players are going to be extremely skeptical about it. But when it comes to the older ET community accepting a new Wolf Game, most juts want exactly the same gameplay and maps with better graphics.. so it's hard to match that for a Developer.

I think A mix between Q4 and Wolfenstein 2009 would be interesting. The game wasn't all that bad, it just seemed unpolished in it's textures. Q4 was the opposite in my opinion, it lacked in gameplay but had stunning visuals.

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spot on BR. I think we are committed to the style of game as opposed to the BF3 scrim genre that is the norm these days. I have tried newer games and although the graphics are better, I keep coming back to ET/