• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Noob Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerobyte

Posting here as suggested.

Just a place for noobies to get some help from the pros.

I'll go first, how to i aim/shoot better? ive looked on the net at configs, scripts, and other tips, just asking you guys for some adivce. I think my shooting needs improvement the most atm, i almost always loose 1v1 smg fights. Any tips muchly appreciated!

blusky

I'll try to help, here are some tips.

- Have a sensitivity where you can do a 180 degree turn with little stress to your wrist. - Low sense is for newbs!
- Aim at head height ALL the time.
- Use a headset so you can hear footsteps better
- Always try to get the advantage no matter how cheap it is; lean and corner camp, place med packs under you where you are camping, backrage to get a sure kill, get a height advantage etc. Shoot from places where you have an advantage
- Learn to strafe
- Don't play rnade or panzer. Play SMG till you get good then play rnade.
- Crounching decreases bullet spray(which increases your accuracy). If you are standing still and shooting you should always be crouching.
- Get a decent config that cuts out all the crap
- Walking + crouching silence your footsteps so people can't hear that you're coming.
- If you know the map aim at the places where people are most likely going to come from.
- Spec GOOD players.
- Damage is far more important than kills.

Ask questions if you wish.

Zerobyte

Thanks for the speedy reply and great tips!

Interesting about the low sense, when i started i used high then went low....whats a good starting point?

Regarding a good config.. suggestions?

The speccing idea, bewdy! Thanks!

blusky

As I said use a sensitivity that you can do a 180 with ease. You know your wrist/mouse better than I do. People that use low sense suck because they cant move fast enough to hit things that aren't directly in front of them.(some people like it though). Be comfortable being able to hit things in front of you with precision but also being able to do a 180, look up down and around with ease.

Google ET configs or find a site that you can make one at. I think there is a config available for download on the forums somewhere.

By good players I mean players that consistently top frags and damage with SMG. They can get 45%+ accuracy while maintaining 70-80 kills in a 30 minute map.

If you want more competition style tips (6v6 match/scrim) let me know, aswell as other questions.

WickedFizz

Always try to get the advantage no matter how cheap it is; lean and corner camp, place med packs under you where you are camping, backrage to get a sure kill, get a height advantage etc. Shoot from places where you have an advantage
Most important lol. if your not lieing... you not trying.

And when people say crap about the kill like - i lagged or sumtin - there being pussys coz u whipped em

blusky

Incorrect. People do lag and it stuffs them up so bad - it's a vaild excuse. (some people BS though).

G-Train

Good tips.

Also take advantage of your surroundings, hide behind boxes/rocks when reloading/packing etc. Use corners to duck in and out.

And use burst firing not full auto, so tap the fire button to shoot in bursts of 3 bullets, your acc will improve.

nelots

G-Train said:
And use burst firing not full auto, so tap the fire button to shoot in bursts of 3 bullets, your acc will improve.
I've always used full auto fire, I'm just too lazy to keep pressing mouse1.

Best way to improve your aim is to work on player movement and keeping the crosshair still or level as you strafe left to right, etc.
I recommend practicing with single pistols then moving onto the smgs since that'll surely make you get use to the recoil.
Also get use to switching your aim from head to feet as that'll clean up those dirty proners.

Trigger Happy

+1 to the short bursts of fire.
You will die very quickly against good players if you don't.
The smgs are made to spray more the longer the fire is held down, so shorter bursts = higher accuracy.
Strafing is the biggest help in a 1v1 fight, I personally suck a lot at 1v1 at good players and that's why I do more strategic killing to get kills. You need to get familiar with maps and where the best places are to pick of players.
As blusky said, take any advantage you can to kill others. ;)

Cheers

Death_Reincarnated

There is one advantage that I have learned over long time that not many people can do it well...and it annoys the crap out of everyone when I use panzer :p

BE UNPREDICTABLE!

Examples:

1) Never stand in one spot too long.

2) Dont follow your team mates around too close. Cover them but move around the map so that you get the best suprise advantage over the enemies.

2) If you are sniping then change positions often because if a sniper doesnt get ya then an airstrike or something else will.

3) Try not to rush out of the spawn nor move along the same path.

4) If youre a panzer...dont rush it...wait for an opportunity and never attack head on unless its a chocke point which you wnt to push the enemy back.

5) In general when using pistols/guns make your strafing unpredictable. If you get into the routine of strafing the same then you will be picked off easily.

6) Sometimes its better to retreat than wait around. Move out of position, regroup and attack from another angle. The enemy wont know what hit them

7) Being medic is fun but being a great medic is even more rewarding. I'm talking about reviving your team mates when in a fire fight. Some players take chances and wait others know that their medic will be there to revive them but what you need to know how to get to your team mates without dying. You rez your amte and you die...chances are you will get rezzed up but what is a cunning technique is reviving them and going behind them, the invulnerability (for 3 seconds or so) act as a shield so while the enemy is frantically spraying bullets you can hide and then attack with your mate...so sometimes it is better to rush and revive your mate head on.

8) Using grenades is also effective and can deter the enemy. Chuck a nade in one direction and run around the enemy from a different angle. In most cases they will take the liniar path while you wait for them from the side.

9) When in a dog fight...use cover to yur advantage. Move around it and make your enemy think where you will be. Alwasy try and have your back to the wall.

10) Practice practise and more practise. Get to know the map, the surrounding, learn to time your attack, learn where enemies are/could be and your team mates. Timing is crucial but being unpredictable is one of the most important things in online multiplayer gaming.

Good Luck

The problem why people are predictable and so many times I have know where to shoot my panzer (and afcourse get the timing right) is becuase I can predict their movement to some extend. The problem is you have to know your map well, the surrounding and timing is crucial. You can learn all these things and become good at smg (gun) then you can become a great player.

HaPpY

death is spot on
i might add a couple more points after lunch
but wat he said was really good

The Admiral

If you want kills just go panzer. I guarantee you that you'll have more than with panzer than you will with SMG. Flamer is a nice choice too, but it entirely depends on the map. Panzer is pretty balanced out between open and closed maps. MG42 is good if you can get a good camping spot. Mortar isn't much fun at all, as with out the Mortar Cam of NQ, you don't actually get to see them die, you just see names on the side and then some guy with a SMG backrages you while you're in your spawn.

HaPpY

The Admiral said:
Mortar isn't much fun at all, as with out the Mortar Cam of NQ, you don't actually get to see them die, you just see names on the side and then some guy with a SMG backrages you while you're in your spawn.
can download a mortar cam, but its a hack, and pb should pick it up unless its a recent release

blusky

If you actually want to get better play an SMG class, preferably medic. If you want to get kills and stay bad play panzer.

@biblieieiecal - sensitivity is dependent on windows sens as well, not just in game sensitivity.
@g-train - about the burst firing. To not confuse the newbs burst firing is only good in some circumstances. You should judge how much to shoot on the hitsounds, it's silly to burst fire in a close 1 on 1 unless the situation calls for it, it's usually a good idea to burst fire from long range. With a pistol you should aim and time your shots but with an SMG just line it up with the head and spray.

Try to get a good strafe going you'll see most players do a mix of things like this:

- Hold down sprint
- Tap crouch or even hold it if the situation calls for it
- Hit the strafe keys "A+D"
- Prone

From playing ET so long I instinctively hold down sprint when i'm firing at someone. (I usually don't have much because I sprint out of spawn...which everyone should do.)

There are more tips I could give you if you are wanting to play ET competitively.

HaPpY

-OZ-keith said:
blusky said:
- BE A FAG LIKE ME AND PRONE
If, following this post, there is an exponential rise of noobs proning, I will cry and rage Blusky through the internet.
LOL
proning doesnt help much, u hav the height advantage and easy hs
unless u know how 2 use correctly ur dead meat

Joke :D

when your using the sten brust fire so it doesnt over heat
blusky said:
To not confuse the newbs burst firing is only good in some circumstances. You should judge how much to shoot on the hitsounds, it's silly to burst fire in a close 1 on 1 unless the situation calls for it, it's usually a good idea to burst fire from long range. With a pistol you should aim and time your shots but with an SMG just line it up with the head and spray.
when your using the sten brust fire so it doesnt over heat as quickly

Death_Reincarnated

Things that affect accuracy (bullet spread):

1) Distance
2) Strafing with/without sprint (walk/run aswell)
3) Stand/Crouch/Prone
4) Mouse movement (left/right and up/down)
5) How long you hold down your fire button on continuously
6) Weapon choice

All of these change how accurate your bullets will be on the target. Things you should consider:

1) The further away the target the harder it is to hit it (moving targets make it even more difficult). Consider crouching/proning to increase accuracy, likewise dont move mouse too harshly. Use really short bursts for greater accuracy (no more than 3-4 bullets per burst, I would prefer single shot fire at long targets).

2) When you strafe its hard to hit the target without moving the mouse. If you have quick reflexes (and can learn) to shoot during strafing without resulting in use of moving mouse then thats great, otherwise try and keep the mose movement (left/right) to a minimum.

3) Accuracy increases with Stand<Crouch<Prone. This difference can be clearly seen when you first use the scope on the sniper rifles (you cant run with the scope). Use this in open battles at fair to long distance, this way your harder to hit and your more likely to inflict the first damage.

4) The more you move your mouse left/right (even up/down) the less accurate your bullets will be. Once again using scope in the sniper rifle and moving mouse drastically shows that you cant keep scope with harsh movements. Generally if you strafe left you move mouse right and vice-versa. This way youre actually not moving the mouse twice the distance since the target tends to move in the opposite direction to yours.

5) The longer you hold down the fire button the more your bullets will spread. Simply use burst to keep the spread to a minium. Longer targets shorter bursts, closer targets longer bursts. If you panic at close combat; NEVER spray and pray because it makes it worse.

6) Different weapons have different base accuracy and all of these factors affect how well you can hit the target. Get a feel for each weapons pros/cons and when to use what. Close comabt FG42 owns, long distance combat Sten owns (im talking about multi bullet combat).

All of these factors needs to be taken into account with each situation that you are in but generally short bursts, crouching and least ammount of mouse movement should be considered. What you need to learn is when to fire the weapon and afcourse LAG EFFECTS.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.