• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

overclocking

woodhzbg

When i reach anything over 216 mhz fsb mult 11x, the mobo gives a safety message and asks that i alter cpu freq.
Does this mean that i have reached its limits.
Crappy sempron 2.2 that i am running at 2.38 so far.
Gigabyte GA-m61pme-s2p with sempron 2.2, kingston ram and 9800 gt card.
Also, can i get any gains from fiddling with ram timings?
Voltages are not adjustable.
What about k8-nb speed? 1x,2x etc etc?
And k8-nb width, 8-8 or 16-16? Changing these away from auto seems to lower some benchmarks.
GPU is a 9800gt that i have o/c to 710mhz and 1020mhz mem and core speeds. (from 660 and 900)
Over this has increase benchmarks etc about 8%.
What else can be done?
Heat is fine, 35 is about the max ive seen so far.
Just trying to eek a few more fps from it until i get a new mobo and cpu next year.
Any help appreciated!

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Hey, few questions I'm unsure of what properties and what not you are referring to your CPU/GPU or ram such as temperature.

In the case of your CPU, perhaps you are not applying enough voltage to it. As you increase the Mhz of it, you will require slightly more power. In this case it's best to do it step-wise. Up mhz, test, if it's not functioning or won't boot then apply more voltage. And continue to step up that way. Make sure you only ever increment your voltage by TINY amounts, never ramp your voltage up on your CPU as much as you can and expect results.

Rainbow

Felonious Green said:
Voltages are not adjustable.
Lower ur multi to about 8.
Loosen up your ram timings.
Find the highest FSB speed until you can no longer boot.
Run CPU stress tests ie Prime95 for 1 hour. If it fails, then lower the FSB in increments until you find a stable FSB at which it can pass the tests.
Now you have the highest FSB you can run at without upping voltage. Now run higher multis, using CPU stress tests to find the highest one your CPU/Mobo can support.
Once you have found this, lower your ram timings (if you want). Keep in mind since you cant change your voltages that you may have to back off on your FSB speed to allow for faster ram speeds, it's up to you.

Most of the time, if you fail CPU tests, you can draw more power by upping voltages. Sadly you aren't able to do this.