• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Oz mod development

Ulti

Fair point ulti. Perhaps just reducing the recharge time is the way to go. I forget if we can do this individually or not or if it is across the board. Realistically though, if we just make the recharge time quite slow, it would probably even all classes out (albeit really annoyingly! haha). You could have 6 rnaders but they could only fire off one shot every what, 20 seconds? Same for panzer, medic could only rambo pack once before they are screwed and have to hide for ages. Arty would only be able to be called once every few minutes through binocs and so on.

Adren could be a bit overkill, unless again we make some changes to the code to make it less OP perhaps. I think it's all trial and error, maybe having a forum vote or at least a forum post per change so we can track general feelings on stuff. Not everyone is going to agree on any change we do (there will always be someone who hates the change) but hopefully we can get some of the regs who are on to give an impartial view of how they saw the games to be in terms of positively or negatively influenced.

The other factor to consider is that games in smaller numbers, say 3v3, will have different affects to games were it is 5v5 or upwards. Game balance is something all game designers have battled with since forever, so I doubt we can crack the perfect balance without a fair amount of effort and QQ from a lot of people! :)

Cheers
its a shame i can only like this once, well said sir!
LANDMINES tho!! very curious to see more ppls opinions on it, even with reduced skill recharge it still wouldn't alter this much at all.
Would love to see attacking team be limited to 8 mines

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
There's (almost) a team setting for everything, except landmines.

And yes charge times can be changed for overall or per class

Trigger Happy

Yeah reduced charge wouldn't help too much if someone really took the time to plant them, but at least it would reduce the overall impact. Unless their sole goal in life is to mine it up, they would find it hard to put enough mines down in time (especially if they are rnading too). We would need to look at some code changes to add more flexibility here.

I think most things even out though in the game. If you hate mines, you need to go covert and spot them. There are limited maps where you can't get a good view of mines without being easily camped and therefore making them kind of OP (oasis they can be very very effective for axis and easy to keep coverts from spotting if you only have a couple of players, but aside from that I can't think of many others). Ideally, I would just want a code change to disable or severely reduce mines for 3 or less players, then increase them up based on number of players till we hit 10 or 12 or whatever we think is the best total amount of mines. If you have 5 or more players on your team and one can't go covy to prevent the annoying mines then that is just laziness! :p

Cheers

TopCAt!

As said mines are easily rendered useless by any covert ops
Modifying recharge time can affect the flow of the game negatively as well for those who play obj and aren't concerned with the settings as they are
EG if you slow engineers down too much you've weakened either the attacking or defending obj players ability to build, repair, etc
Im not sure thats a worthwhile tradeoff to prevent a few rgren kills
If we analyse the majority of the times teams get pinched in spawn and kept in there its the result of rambo meds on a stacked team 99% of the time
So the team balancing issue to me is the first thing to sort out because if teams classes and abilities are roughly square then the counter/balances the individual classes come with stock are more useful and deployable
What about limiting the number of meds per team to 1/3pax 2/5 pax 3/8 pax

Teddles

Ideally, I would just want a code change to disable or severely reduce mines for 3 or less players, then increase them up based on number of players till we hit 10 or 12 or whatever we think is the best total amount of mines. If you have 5 or more players on your team and one can't go covy to prevent the annoying mines then that is just laziness! [BCOLOR=rgb(252, 252, 255)]:p[/BCOLOR]
When its 3v3, and Allies has Zulu, Casius, Swizz and Asch desperately rushing every single map for hours at a time, a reduced number of mines will only help them rush it faster. If we are aiming to curtail behaviour leading to an awful server experience, lets have a look at that.

Also, when a weak team is endlessly being spawn killed by good players, laying mines is the only way to buy breathing space. Reducing the number of mines will curtail this & make laying for objective defence very difficult.

Sorry, but I don't think all angles are being thought through. The only angle under consideration is "I got annoyed because I stepped on mines". If it's spawn mining that's annoying, lets just ban that specifically and have admins harshly enforce it with warns. Just like they do with spawn arty. Problem solved. I've been spawnkilled by arty more times, yet no one is advocating tweaks to airstrikes. Reducing the number of mines is a too blunt an instrument IMO.

Besides, it's a weapon which probably ranks around 10th in total kills across all weapons. So much fuss.

TBH I dont hate medics. For sheer playability, the best server balance is when Axis is moderately stacked with good medics on SMG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ulti

tbh this whole thing could be solved with the removal of XPSAVE or a weekly reset, now THAT! would be interesting
seems everyone has forgot what 0 xp is like :trump:

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
tbh this whole thing could be solved with the removal of XPSAVE or a weekly reset, now THAT! would be interesting
seems everyone has forgot what 0 xp is like :trump:
A discussion is ongoing about this; would certainly solve a fair few issues.

Ulti

perhaps really extend the amount of xp needed to lvl each class. or even make it harder after lvl 1 / 2 or something :trump:

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
That's certainly doable, though only lengthens the time till it re-becomes an 'issue' though combined with a reset it may do something

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly doable we could have a max xp then reset so after they have lvl4 for evey thing (so if you got lvl 4 at 500 xp would reset at 1000 or a higher number) instead of a monthly reset

TopCAt!

Sounds good any chance you can reset the killing sprees as well perhaps monthly? They've been there for years and some of the numbers are, shall we say, unrepeatable

Womb@t

The problem with the xp reset is for the guys who pop on for 1/2 hour to an hour very couple of days and have no xp or very little xp when they join it will be very hard not including any new players that may join the server.
all these changes you are talking about will only help the better players on the server.
If think you guys a reading into this to much the server has been around for a long time and is doing fine just leave it.

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
They will still have their xp wombat we wont be doing a monthly reset i think that is a bit harsh but when they reach a cirtain xp level it resets it could be a month or 2 before they get reset

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Soldier wouldn't suffer to much from reduced charge time, provided you have dual pistols/smg you're fairy set. What about reducing it by the percentage that the cp gives? So that if cp is built you have normal soldier, if not slightly less than.

Source: Panzernoob since 2003

Covert

Why not reset say when you get to 100k xp or something? For people like Zulu that would just about be nightly but for any human with a life outside of his computer desk thatd take atleast a month surely
I remember one of the first servers I ever played on it was like 1200xp or something to get lvl4 skills

Ulti

man i remember hitting 2k xp on a 6 map standard campaign.. my god i thought i was good lol