• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Quake 2 in html 5

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those that hadn't heard, some google developers have ported quake 2 into native html 5.

[youtube:2zbh6xwb]XhMN0wlITLk[/youtube:2zbh6xwb]

They use GWT / WebGL / WebSockets to do this & the end result is a plugin free 3d game port.

Why is this so impressive? Basically it means that html 5 is going to break all existing browsing paradigms.

Up to this point, delivering rich functionality to a browser has always been quite complicated and has spawned a bunch of technologies that bend javascript and css to do in a lot of cases things they weren't necessarily designed to do.

This Quake port is a demonstration that the html 5 spec will deliver rich user experiences far beyond anything we have seen to date.

Needless to say as an IT professional that builds enterprise web applications, this demo gives me more wood than the entire south western national park in Tasmania.

html 5 - coming to a browser near you soon!

Joke :D

Code:
Needless to say as an IT professional that builds enterprise web applications, this demo gives me more wood than the entire south western national park in Tasmania.
Love it. I also read the hyperlink, thats ALOT of wood.

Will this be multiplayer? or just bot fragging?

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope its multiplayer. Obviously they would require a central server to host the game, but the real time low latency back and forths are done over websockets.

I believe websockets are a newly emerging standard which is part of the html 5 spec.

What this will mean in the end is over the next few years you are going to start seeing websites that absolutely blow your socks off.

The Admiral

I totally saw that on Google Code the other day when I was trying to figure out how to start a new project on it - it's super super obscure.

Looks pretty fun. I don't remember, but does it use your graphics card?

Trigger Happy

The Admiral said:
I totally saw that on Google Code the other day when I was trying to figure out how to start a new project on it - it's super super obscure.

Looks pretty fun. I don't remember, but does it use your graphics card?
If you are making a repository for uni for a project or something like that, be aware that your project is open source and anyone can download the source. Also, if you are stupid enough to put in the unit code and details like that, you may find your classmates using your code. Use project locker for any project hosting needs that you need kept private. If it is an open source project or something you are making then google code is good, otherwise use project locker.
I had some good lols last year when 5 groups in my course used google code and I was able to see how everyone was doing their assignments. Should have seen their faces when I showed them their projects running on my laptop! As a disclaimer though, I didn't use any of their code, most of it was crap anyway, I used it as a demonstration to them to not use it in the future ;)

Cheers

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha nice one trigs.

I used to pull similar covert ops when i was at uni. This was back before sourceforge / google existed (showing my age). All the dumbarses in my course used to save their projects to the local HDDs in the computer labs at uni. I lived on campus so shortly before the labs were shut for the evening I would take a stroll up to the labs and go around and collect everyone's work to see how other groups rolled.

nelots

Man you two must have suffered blue balls and stayed virgins till your 30's.
Bad luck triggerhawk, theres still quite a few more years to grind through........ maybe consult noob for some tips to cope with it all.

amacide

ET Moderator
-OZ-noobItUp said:
the html 5 spec will deliver rich user experiences far beyond anything we have seen to date.
TRANSLATION: serve more ads to visitors in even more annoying ways! ;-)

Cheers.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
^Perhaps, but as someone that is professionally invested in user experience this spec excites me.

Get off my lawn!