• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Server lag - opinions please

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok

I amongst many others are copping server lag whilst playing.

Can people please leave details as to:
- their location - state/country
- time the lag happens - if its the same time during the day or not
- how bad it becomes
- ISP if possible

Im trying to identify if there is a pattern to this.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure its that kid with braces DDoS'ing us back to the stone age because of all the bieber hate on our forums.

HE HAS CONTACTS ALL ACROSS EUROPE PPL!

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
-OZ-Akh-Horus said:
Ok

I amongst many others are copping server lag whilst playing.

Can people please leave details as to:
- their location - state/country
- time the lag happens - if its the same time during the day or not
- how bad it becomes
- ISP if possible

Im trying to identify if there is a pattern to this.
When was this occuring for you Horus. Please try the following and inform me if it improves.

/com_maxfps 90 OR /com_maxfps 120
/cl_maxpackets 30
/rate 42000
/cl_packetdup 1

Please try that and inform me if your lag issue continues. Also are you on a dedicated ethernet line to your router/internet connection.

Kind Regards, BR

Hicksy

i get the lag.

I play with the settings br mentioned. it does help sometimes but like last nite pings were all av 300+ aint nothing commands can do there when its the whole server

Joke :D

i get the big yellow bumps and the darker green on the bottom of the lag-o when playing on the etpor server especially.

[spoiler:sqfv5oqe]i'm with telstra[/spoiler:sqfv5oqe]

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
-OZ-Hicksy said:
i get the lag.

I play with the settings br mentioned. it does help sometimes but like last nite pings were all av 300+ aint nothing commands can do there when its the whole server
When this occuring it is one of two reasons.

1. We are gettting DDOS'd which has occured a few times over this last month (which is hopefully now rectified by the data center and shouldn't occur again)
2. Someone is in Remote desktop to the server on a faulty connection.
3. Server resources are glued up

This shouldn't be occuring anymore currently. IF it does then please record the time of the event. Or Pm me directly when this occurs.

Kind Regards, BR

Inglourious Basterd

Whatever it is, its killing the server. Am I right? what do the stats say?

Dunno about anyone else but 4 out of the last 5 time's I've played on the server has
been bad to unplayable that I have to go and play on another server that is not -OZ- :(

Joke :D

Antagonist said:
can someone explain to me what ddos'd is?
distributed denial of service or some shit

basically, a 13 year old who gets angry from dying to often on counter-strike get a program that can tell a whole bunch of computer to connect to a server at exactly the same time, causing server overload.

Lestat

Joke =D said:
Antagonist said:
distributed denial of service or some bobbla

basically, a 13 year old who gets angry from dying to often on counter-strike get a program that can tell a whole bunch of computer to connect to a server at exactly the same time, causing server overload.
Yep and its packeted data just random data at that....Dial up users are fun when u send the +++ATH0 cmd ah dem was da days now its all script kiddys.

P.S. i don't get no lag wanna know the secret???

Antagonist

Joke =D said:
Antagonist said:
distributed denial of service or some bobbla

can someone whos not a complete loser explain it

The Admiral

Antagonist said:
Basically, a dude gets several computers to continuously spam the server so much that the server can't take the load and crashes.

Imagine a water purifier attached to two lakes. The water comes in from the impure lake #1, into the purifier thing. Now, the purifier purifies the incoming water, and it goes into clean lake #2.

A DDOS would be when so much impure water was going through the purifier that it broke it somehow. Kinda.

It's ridiculously hard to think up an analogy to a DDOS.

Lestat

The Admiral said:
Antagonist said:
Basically, a dude gets several computers to continuously spam the server so much that the server can't take the load and crashes.

Imagine a water purifier attached to two lakes. The water comes in from the impure lake #1, into the purifier thing. Now, the purifier purifies the incoming water, and it goes into clean lake #2.

A DDOS would be when so much impure water was going through the purifier that it broke it somehow. Kinda.

It's ridiculously hard to think up an analogy to a DDOS.
kinda good analogy ... as it is a Flood of data useless packets that are > than what the server bandwidth has so it shuts down any normal traffic and puts the server/host offline and in most cases its 100's+ infected "zombie" pc's with good connections or many with decent connections hence "Distrubuted Denial of service".

Trigger Happy

So many fail analogies of a DDoS...
Quite simply a DDoS is a Distributed Descendants of Sparta attack, which I think we can all agree is pretty self explanatory.
For those who simply can't grasp that though, here is a history lesson on Sparta and her people.
These guys were nutcases, like real badass military dudes that ripped up Greece and called her Sparta's biatch. These guys beat off the Persians in an epic battle of which we all drank long into the night celebrating to end up with a massive hang over in the morning. Pretty sure I got with Noobeh's sister and Frog somehow scored twins...needless to say it was a good night for all involved.
So now long after this epic night of death and drink, everyone went back to their homes and had to readjust to normal life with their families and such. Most of us readjusted fine and grew out of the killing and drinking with the occasional beer or murder. However, many of these soldiers were disturbed from the lack of drink and killings they were given in the epic battle and decided to really cause some havoc out of the military, a big no-no. These rag-tag bunch of guys also brought their delinquent kids into the mix and taught them all they knew about being mischievous which has now filtered down to present day DoS getting up to no good. These DoS get together on the interwebs (thus causing a Distributed DoS) and like to throw digitised weapons (packets) at buildings (servers) to try and take them down to show their military prowess. Once a building falls to their mighty onslaught, they like to go and get drunk and try and hook in with noobeh's sister but that was so 300 BC and well they would be getting Trigger's sloppy seconds. While everyone else grew up, these DoS still think it's cool to repeat the same lifestyle that we all gave up years ago but unfortunately that is the way life with these DDoS.

Cheers

nelots

So much fail explanations of DDoS...

Quite simply a DDoS is a D!ck Destroying Orgy Session, which is pretty much as is.
For those who scored more than 3 Derps in a 1 Derp IQ test, here's a lesson on how to unDerp your Derp from the Derp Derp Derpz!
EDITED - By Horrie

Whilst amusing probably a little more than what we would like posted here. Maybe an R rated section lol.......

Frogma

nelots said:

Quite simply a DDoS is a D!ck Destroying Orgy Session, which is pretty much as is.
Who else thought he was gonna talk about that time he broke his wang when that girl totally outplayed him in s3x?

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
The recent lag was due to myself accessing the server with RDP, and because I'm speed limited. It will Continually await for my delayed response to the session causing massive lag on some occasions. Sorry for the inconvenience. Am Uncapped on Monday. Should be a resolution to the lag :p

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frogma said:
nelots said:

Who else thought he was gonna talk about that time he broke his wang when that girl totally outplayed him in s3x?
Yeah, and judging by his post I still don't think he has worked out how to use it properly. :lol:

Synonym

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
[spoiler:3w3ccf70]So many fail analogies of a DDoS...
Quite simply a DDoS is a Distributed Descendants of Sparta attack, which I think we can all agree is pretty self explanatory.
For those who simply can't grasp that though, here is a history lesson on Sparta and her people.
These guys were nutcases, like real badass military dudes that ripped up Greece and called her Sparta's biatch. These guys beat off the Persians in an epic battle of which we all drank long into the night celebrating to end up with a massive hang over in the morning. Pretty sure I got with Noobeh's sister and Frog somehow scored twins...needless to say it was a good night for all involved.
So now long after this epic night of death and drink, everyone went back to their homes and had to readjust to normal life with their families and such. Most of us readjusted fine and grew out of the killing and drinking with the occasional beer or murder. However, many of these soldiers were disturbed from the lack of drink and killings they were given in the epic battle and decided to really cause some havoc out of the military, a big no-no. These rag-tag bunch of guys also brought their delinquent kids into the mix and taught them all they knew about being mischievous which has now filtered down to present day DoS getting up to no good. These DoS get together on the interwebs (thus causing a Distributed DoS) and like to throw digitised weapons (packets) at buildings (servers) to try and take them down to show their military prowess. Once a building falls to their mighty onslaught, they like to go and get drunk and try and hook in with noobeh's sister but that was so 300 BC and well they would be getting Trigger's sloppy seconds. While everyone else grew up, these DoS still think it's cool to repeat the same lifestyle that we all gave up years ago but unfortunately that is the way life with these DDoS.[/spoiler:3w3ccf70]

Cheers
Ignoring the fact that the Polis of Athens wasn't under Sparta's control during the Battle of Thermopylae, you also seem to have forgotten that there were more than just 300 Spartans at the 'Hot Gates'. Joining them in the rear-guard were 700 Thespians and 400 Thebans. But otherwise a scarily accurate analogy: Watch out for retaliation by the FCC. They have contacts in the CIA, FBI and the NSA.