• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

sp2

G-Train

ROFL Lestat, Not everything in "The Pirates of Sillicon Valley" was truth. It was just a movie.

And also, Bill donated half of his net wealth to the foundation, then got all his billionaire mates to make large donations as well.

The whole "I hate Microsoft" thing is so 90's.

Overmars

ET Moderator
Do you know what open source means? AFAIK any open source code is free for all with no copyright restrictions. Maybe my previous analogy of plagiarism was a bit over the top so its like saying people who take free samples at supermarkets are stealing. Is that better now?
No, it's wrong, for most licenses.

The whole point of open source is that it's open, and improvements that you make to the base code, or features or enhancements you make to things based on that code is also contributed back as open source, so that other people can then use that as a starting point, and improve it further, ad infinitum ... not all of the OSS licenses are like that, but many are. The issue arises when people take, and don't give back.

Inglourious Basterd

-OZ-Overmars said:
The whole point of open source is that it's open, and improvements that you make to the base code, or features or enhancements you make to things based on that code is also contributed back as open source, so that other people can then use that as a starting point, and improve it further, ad infinitum ... not all of the OSS licenses are like that, but many are. The issue arises when people take, and don't give back.
dis guy nose wats he talkn bout in shiz :p

nelots

-OZ-Overmars said:
No, it's wrong, for most licenses.
The licensing aspects of open source gets too complicated.
My interpretations were more of the general sense based on Bruce Peren's definition where sharing is the key goal with no copyright limitations or restrictions.

gutz

and on the subject of donations, how much of the money donated to various causes actually ends up going to those in need?

The Admiral

Baker Street said:
nelots wrote:
Also Bill Gates isn't a total douche like other multi-billionaires as he and his wife founded their own foundation to help the needy.
hear hear.

And he isnt afraid to wear jumpers instead of suits :cool:
G-Train said:
ROFL Lestat, Not everything in "The Pirates of Sillicon Valley" was truth. It was just a movie.

And also, Bill donated half of his net wealth to the foundation, then got all his billionaire mates to make large donations as well.

Bill is a champion. Though the new guy - Balmer? I so don't remember - looks a little more friendly.

Apple is the real corporate monster. So restrictive about everything, what apps you can run on your iPhone, what machines you can install OS X on, and all while charging us a gatrillion dollars. Steve Jobs is the real evil in the world.

nelots

gutz said:
and on the subject of donations, how much of the money donated to various causes actually ends up going to those in need?
Depends on the charity but I'd say around 30%-45% will filter through. Rest will be chewed up by taxes and admin/etc expenses for everyday operations.

Lestat

G-Train said:

u laugh? yes its a movie but the closest movie to the actual truth.And what do you know is truth? what you see? what you smell what you can touch? or do you believe what someone else may tell you? there are MANY things that go on that just because you CANNOT see it does not mean it is not "real" such as Area 51, You cant see it or prove it,But just because you can't does not mean it DOES not exist.Narrow mindedness is so 18th century.Where u can cure madness by pulling out a piece of a human brain.Things do exist far beyond what ANY person can fathom,we just give what we each see and as such we believe that to be our own perception of truth.But what Governments or Billionaires do and how they came to be,One cannot say no or yes.old saying goes "You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet".In that it says "step over your fellow man and do whatever it takes to get rich"

nelots

Lestat said:
u laugh? yes its a movie but the closest movie to the actual truth.And what do you know is truth? what you see? what you smell what you can touch? or do you believe what someone else may tell you? there are MANY things that go on that just because you CANNOT see it does not mean it is not "real" such as Area 51, You cant see it or prove it,But just because you can't does not mean it DOES not exist.Narrow mindedness is so 18th century.Where u can cure madness by pulling out a piece of a human brain.Things do exist far beyond what ANY person can fathom,we just give what we each see and as such we believe that to be our own perception of truth.But what Governments or Billionaires do and how they came to be,One cannot say no or yes.old saying goes "You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet".In that it says "step over your fellow man and do whatever it takes to get rich"
Nice to know you base your truths along a TV 'docu' drama. Which part makes it factual??? the TV?? Docu?? or Drama??
Your cynical stereotypical view on 'rich' people is nothing more than the view of an envious poor soul who just has no idea about the trials and tribulations involved with trying to establish and operate a successful international enterprise.

nelots

phatbass said:
docu is supposed to be doco cheekz or is that some new ghey way of sayin doco?
No idea about the trends but I've always used 'doco' on actual docos not TV based productions with added dramatized bullshit.

Frogma

Oooh I love the one about the donkey kong world record. That greasy haired bastard is a real piece of work, I tell you what.

the whole cake

The problems with Microsoft arent about fanboyism or patriotism.
Apple and Microsoft are identical in this argument:

Microsoft is a commercial enterprise. Their business model however is structured around creating 'platforms' for other software and services.

This is a huge issue for information freedom, and because its 2009, a huge issue for freedom of speech, democracy and in some cases human rights. Why? Well let cake explain it.

In almost all areas of engineering theres whats called standards. For example, the size of phillips screws is an agreed standard, and everyone makes their products to fit those screws. The same with the size, shape and format of CDROMs and stuff. Who maintains these standards? Who is in control? Well, these bodies:

W3C: World Wide Web Consortium. This is a huge committee which governs web standards like HTML, CSS and so on.

IETF: Internet Engineering Task Force. Ever wondered who maintains HTTP, FTP, SMTP, and all those specifications? Its them.

ITU: International Tellecommunications Union. For squillions of years this group has governed the standards which relate to communications. For example, ISDN, PSTN, fax machines, data modulation, GSM, etc etc.

ISO: International Standards Organization. Everything else in the world. Seriously, everything from filesystem formats to business practices can have an ISO number.

Now the issue here is that all those bodies exist to allow ALL people and groups free, unrestricted access to information which helps people & machines communicate. Without these bodies, we have nothing.

Microsoft directly competes with every single one of those standard bodies. For almost every Microsoft technology that exists, there are industry-specified and vendor-neutral equivalents. Microsoft does NOT compete by improving their products. Microsoft competes by marketing and pushing in their platforms/standards. And Microsoft absolutely fights tooth and nail to keep the inner workings of their stuff a secret.

That is a HUGE HUGE HUGE problem because one company cannot:
* Maintain all types of filetypes, APIs, applications and ways to access information, forever. Try opening a Word 1.0 file.
* Innovate anywhere near as fast as an entire planet of engineers.
* Be trusted to act in everyones best interests.

Some examples of Microsoft pushing their way into industry and overpowering existing standards:
OpenGL: Hey I know, lets invent Direct3D for no reason.
HTML: Hey I know, lets make Windows-only syntax & extensions to HTML. Then we can get everyone hooked on how our IE6 works and not fix any bugs or tell people how the browser works for the rest of time.
Javascript: You guys ever heard of Jscript? Welp, its the same story. Proprietary extensions.
ODF: Open Document Format. Anyone can use this format to make extremly feature rich documents. HEY I KNOW LETS MAKE OOXML and bully the ISO into accepting this proprietary format.

Now guys Apple are EXACTLY the same here. There is no difference in their business models. Apple are even more strict. Have you ever wondered why theres no Flash on the iphone? Apple governs everything that device will run. And they specifically disallow any way to circumvent that. That means no virtual machines: No Java, no Flash, no nothing.

And also, there is encrypted, secret functionality in all versions of Windows.
When the same person holds the keys to information access, and markets themselves so much people think they are a 'standard' that worries me. It worries me because they have proven time again that they dont EVER act in the interest of end users.

In summary, this is called anti-competitive behavior. It is why Microsoft has been fined well in excess of a billion dollars.
Guys remember: Computers today are extremely fast and extremely smart. You must look at things with the right perspective. Incompatibilities between Apple OSX and Windows are by design. They fight with their platforms & image, not by competing on product value.

Here is a video of cake explaining (for noobs) how Microsoft and Apple and Linux and GNU and everyone else all works:

[youtube:4a2jeaki]3YfSQ3XP9OA[/youtube:4a2jeaki]
And here is the same content in an easy to read web page:
http://silenceisdefeat.com/~weblordpepe/macpclinux/macpclinux.html