• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Speed Test Results for NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death_Reincarnated

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
Holy crap death.
Host a server on your work computer NOW! :p

Cheers
How does 64v64 server sound like? Do we even have that many pubbers in Aus?

That would one sweet as LAN style party :D

For ET with 12v12 anything above 30KB/s download and 8KB/s upload should handle a rate of 25000 min.
You might want also take note of the time/day as traffic congests the network at peak times it might give you a slightly incorrect result to what you want to do with it.

Death_Reincarnated

-OZ-kabal said:
phatbass said:
heres mine
yah had to come along with ya gay Optus cable didn't ya i was waiting for it.and LOL my upload beats your mighty cable haha phatty :p :p
LOL if you think about it download is more important than upload. With upload you only send your co-ordinates/bullets/etc to the server where as with download you are taking in the details of every other player. Client side it is not neccessary to have huge upload but server side it is.

I say Phat wins with download and you with uploads Lestat. :)

I should put an asterix next to my result. Since its valid because it shows speed from a location but it is not the location from where i play; in that case I own you all combined lol :p :)

phatbass

hehe matt i just had to show ya and others that if i whinge bout ze lagg there is a server problem as we both know my pc and net can handle et while doing torrents and scanning :D so can yours so if we lagg the server is rs oh and i dont really upload much just torrents but thats over night so not fazed bout up its still bout 50k up oh and thats on wireless :D

kabal

Death_Reincarnated said:
[quote="-OZ-kabal":1ojdp2li]
phatbass said:
heres mine
yah had to come along with ya gay Optus cable didn't ya i was waiting for it.and LOL my upload beats your mighty cable haha phatty :p :p
LOL if you think about it download is more important than upload. With upload you only send your co-ordinates/bullets/etc to the server where as with download you are taking in the details of every other player. Client side it is not neccessary to have huge upload but server side it is.

I say Phat wins with download and you with uploads Lestat. :)

I should put an asterix next to my result. Since its valid because it shows speed from a location but it is not the location from where i play; in that case I own you all combined lol :p :)[/quote:1ojdp2li]
No,Have a look at his Latency,42ms mine 7ms why is this and Latency is what we talk about in game's.The reason is i can send fast if phat had my same upload is latency would be the same.And also your wrong with this "Client side it is not necessary to have huge upload but server side it is."

In bold i agree :)

And your work line .. is just that.This was home line stats :)

p.s. Smuggle ET into your work and play :p i wanna see with that speed what ya ping would be lolz ..

i Miss node :( i had 7ms ping max 15ms.

Death_Reincarnated

Regarding OP: All i see BR saying is this (see below his quote)
-OZ-Black Racoon said:
Ok, go to http://www.speedtest.net so the test is fair for everyone. And print up yoru results as an image on here so everyone can see who wins :). Ill give it a shot first.
This being the reason for this thread...I WIN :D
Only to do with who gets the best results BUT in BRs next post he says this:

-OZ-Black Racoon said:
...this will also give me a good indication of the location and connections to the server people have
So yes i do not qualify since i dont play from that location but the location itself (i.e Melbourne) is an indicator of somewhat.

-OZ-kabal said:
And also your wrong with this "Client side it is not necessary to have huge upload but server side it is.
0_o really why not? The server needs to send out way more information than you have to. Hence why uploads on the client side dont need to be at the speeds of downloads. At least that makes sense to me.

-OZ-kabal said:
p.s. Smuggle ET into your work and play :p i wanna see with that speed what ya ping would be lolz .
I do have ET on my work lappy :D I logged on the server for a bit and got less than 20ms (either it was 12 or 18).

-OZ-kabal said:
No,Have a look at his Latency,42ms mine 7ms why is this and Latency is what we talk about in game's...
Are you looking at the ping from the results in this thread or actually taking them from when you and Phat log on the OZ server? The higher the internet speed the higher the 'push' that data gets. Distance is very important and traffic flow takes different paths for different people with differnt ISPs.
There are many factors to consider on how latency works but generally higher speed and shorter path of data travelling (and i mean the path it takes not necesseraly physical distance between you and server) are the two common factors in obtaining ping values.

To get the best information out of this thread I would suggest to 'ping' and 'tracert' (via command promt) to the OZ ip. This will indicate the ping and which path data takes between you and the OZ server...not an indication of speed to the closest city server. (remeber to remove details of your IP adress whne doing 'tracert'.

kabal

Death_Reincarnated said:
[quote="-OZ-kabal":8ope2x12]No,Have a look at his Latency,42ms mine 7ms why is this and Latency is what we talk about in game's...
Are you looking at the ping from the results in this thread or actually taking them from when you and Phat log on the OZ server? The higher the internet speed the higher the 'push' that data gets. Distance is very important and traffic flow takes different paths for different people with differnt ISPs.
There are many factors to consider on how latency works but generally higher speed and shorter path of data travelling (and i mean the path it takes not necesseraly physical distance between you and server) are the two common factors in obtaining ping values.

To get the best information out of this thread I would suggest to 'ping' and 'tracert' (via command promt) to the OZ ip. This will indicate the ping and which path data takes between you and the OZ server...not an indication of speed to the closest city server. (remeber to remove details of your IP adress whne doing 'tracert'.[/quote:8ope2x12]
Are you Kidding me? trying to tell someone who knows what they are doing "how to?" i don't know how many games you have played in your life but i started with dial up and playing Q2 and unreal on US servers.and what your talking about is "hop's" and if in anyone of those hop's there is some kind of fault/slowdown it will give you lag or lag spike.none of us directly connect to the server.Would be good if we did tho :)

Death_Reincarnated

@Kabal
I asked you wether you took those figures from these results or actual ping values from server...youre yet to reply on that one. As for hops, when you do a tracert via promt you will see which path your data travels via (i.e. how many hops).

Latency and Bandwidth determine connection speed so naturally the higher the connection speed the lower the latency hence lower ping but the factor within latency itself is distance between you and the server but also computational time to form the packet of information. The way I understand it is latency takes into account the computational time for data to be put together and send to the other side. I always call them the same but there is the difference between then in that latency is one way trip "time", where as ping is the round trip time. Its kinda difficult to make sense of this without going into too much detail lol.

Therefore to obtain a good ping you not only need to be as close as possible to the server but also have the fastest possible connection since the ammount of data that is transmitted is large and and fast intervals. When we do a traceroute or ping tests we only send a small ammount of data to look for the ping but in a real situation the data ammount is much higher therefore bandwidth is also crucial. Latency and Ping are interchangeable but a more physical look at the delay in information would be to look at the ping.

Go to command promt and type 'tracert 118.127.0.18' and 'ping 118.127.0.18'. These are my results

Tracing route to 118.127.0.18 over a maximum of 30 hops
1 207 ms 171 ms 171 ms ol2tp1.mel.dft.com.au
2 187 ms 140 ms 171 ms core0.mel.dft.com.au
3 187 ms 156 ms 156 ms as4826.melbourne.pipenetworks.com
4 171 ms 156 ms 171 ms ge-0-0-1-51.bdr02.syd01.nsw.VOCUS.net.au
5 203 ms 171 ms 187 ms as45425.syd01.nsw.VOCUS.net.au
6 203 ms 171 ms 156 ms 118.127.0.18
Trace complete.

Pinging 118.127.0.18 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 118.127.0.18: bytes=32 time=218ms TTL=123
Reply from 118.127.0.18: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=123
Reply from 118.127.0.18: bytes=32 time=203ms TTL=123
Reply from 118.127.0.18: bytes=32 time=203ms TTL=123

Ping statistics for 118.127.0.18:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 187ms, Maximum = 218ms, Average = 202ms

I went on the server at the same time and got the same ping but it was only Me and a BOT. Before when there were many players my ping went way higher (+300 with 7vs7). The more traffic i want to move between me and server the more bandwidth i need to allocate. I dont want to derail this thread any further but it would be nice to see people post up their ---> 'tracert 118.127.0.18' and 'ping 118.127.0.18' results.

I searched around and there seems to be some mixed views on what is latency and ping and are they the same or not...its kind of hard but i think they are interchangeable terms which preety much describe one word which every gamer hates to hear/read---> LAG!

kabal

Oh please..death bud your a good fella and all... but your epica threads and know not anything got you laffed away so please do not make me one of the many ? do not try an tell me what i already know thanks.do not preach to the preacher.I know far more than you could ever imagine.Net wise.and pc wise.So why are you now trying to tell me shit i already know..and btw i could show u a few tricks that would lower your latency :) and also OZ does not have a 100Mbit connect.I love teh high ping euros on savage...why coz i can easy kill...when it comes to the quake engine i cant do the same,High pingers? under the quake engine and mod's Pull down...if you can even comprehend that one..it was in the Quake 2 engine and i think is in ET..What is pulldown? aight and i pretty damn sure it is in ET.Pulldown is this: the engine that run's ET will put most an all down to the lowest connect: why does this engine do this? well back in the day some had dial up some had high speed net.Now the game engine that Et runs on .. does just that ... it pulls everyone down to the highest ping.Why? to make it fair of course! as ET is now old the makers did not implement broadband code.So anytime you have 300+ pingers ET will pull you all down to a rate that is fair :) as ET has and always will compensate for high pings .. it is in its code to do so.when et was made it was made with dial up in mind.

ACEHOLD

-OZ-kabal said:
Oh please..death bud your a good fella and all... but your epica threads and know not anything got you laffed away so please do not make me one of the many ?
Many it would seem you laugh alone there Kabal those other murphles are at your expense not his.

-OZ-kabal said:
do not try an tell me what i already know thanks.do not preach to the preacher.
Preacher huh !! so does that mean you are really into little boys then and y you hang around after saying you wont?

-OZ-kabal said:
I know far more than you could ever imagine.Net wise.and pc wise.So why are you now trying to tell me bobbla i already know..
Are you sure you know more than most of these so called kids? really? I'm sure they didn't get where they are by having the same intellect as you.

-OZ-kabal said:
and btw i could show u a few tricks that would lower your latency :)
Well put up or shut up. I believe you have a fanciful imagination dude.

-OZ-kabal said:
and also OZ does not have a 100Mbit connect.I love teh high ping euros on savage...why coz i can easy kill...when it comes to the quake engine i cant do the same,High pingers? under the quake engine and mod's Pull down...if you can even comprehend that one..it was in the Quake 2 engine and i think is in ET..What is pulldown? aight and i pretty damn sure it is in ET.Pulldown is this: the engine that run's ET will put most an all down to the lowest connect: why does this engine do this? well back in the day some had dial up some had high speed net.Now the game engine that Et runs on .. does just that ... it pulls everyone down to the highest ping.Why? to make it fair of course! as ET is now old the makers did not implement broadband code.So anytime you have 300+ pingers ET will pull you all down to a rate that is fair :) as ET has and always will compensate for high pings .. it is in its code to do so.when et was made it was made with dial up in mind.
the rest well most it just converts to blah blah im so special (no seriously dude you are) blah blah blah. Don't try and impress us with your cyber bullying because it is the ultimate fail.

You may Notice that I am not as scared of you as the others maybe because I'm turning 37 this year and your age isn't the huge gap in time that it is to these guys. Respect isn't given away to 1d10t's like you these days just because of your age. It is earned and from the abuse and disdain that you show players on this server you will be searching for it for years to come.

In the words you chose to me the other night playing ET (probably the night you abused your powers ) "If you don't like the way I roll feck off and leave the server" (OK you didn't say feck but you get the point of that word)

Rage away and prove just how pubescent you can really be KABAL I dare ya! :rnade:

Death_Reincarnated

kabal said:
Oh please..death bud your a good fella and all... but your epica threads and know not anything got you laffed away so please do not make me one of the many ? do not try an tell me what i already know thanks.do not preach to the preacher.I know far more than you could ever imagine.Net wise.and pc wise.So why are you now trying to tell me bobbla i already know..and btw i could show u a few tricks that would lower your latency :) and also OZ does not have a 100Mbit connect.I love teh high ping euros on savage...why coz i can easy kill...when it comes to the quake engine i cant do the same,High pingers? under the quake engine and mod's Pull down...if you can even comprehend that one..it was in the Quake 2 engine and i think is in ET..What is pulldown? aight and i pretty damn sure it is in ET.Pulldown is this: the engine that run's ET will put most an all down to the lowest connect: why does this engine do this? well back in the day some had dial up some had high speed net.Now the game engine that Et runs on .. does just that ... it pulls everyone down to the highest ping.Why? to make it fair of course! as ET is now old the makers did not implement broadband code.So anytime you have 300+ pingers ET will pull you all down to a rate that is fair :) as ET has and always will compensate for high pings .. it is in its code to do so.when et was made it was made with dial up in mind.
From discussing pings and latency to this. BRs reason for this post is to give an idea of what pings people get from which location. If you do not think any of the stuff I wrote in my previous post is true then give a reason instead of going on how much you know about ET/gaming/networking etc etc which is just not needed in this discussion. Were not here to discuss ET code, engine its based on etc. Simply discussing what ping is, what affects it and my reasing stands towards that it depends on the distance from the server as well as bandwidth that you are provided with. Latency came into this discussion because its burried beneath the ping. I'm not a tech junkie but I had my fare share of IT knowledge and if i dont know something i look it up on forums/web/friends. Hey I could be wrong here so if I am youre better of sayign why instead of boasting that you know so much mate. At least then I, and others, would know your knowledge is credible. As for peopel thinking I know s**t all about ET..If i ever made it sound like that then i'm sorry, but my intention is never to give forcefully wrong or misguided information. Forums are a discussion place and people bring their knoweldge to help others NOT think they are knowit all. I would prefer to be wrong then be a smartass and say i know everything about ET so STFU and listen to me.

I really think it would help trying these out:

tracert 118.127.0.18
ping 118.127.0.18

This might help out BR more than just doing a non OZ server speed test around the corner from each ones house.

Im open to discussion here and willing to learn things but not going to bother if people are gonna act egoistic about their knowledge and just write egovomit towards me or others (i.e abuse). No point in that sort of behaviour and wont get thing anywhere.

nelots

^BAhahahhah your on Dodo and your speeds better than mess on primus even though your 550miles further away :D

ACEHOLD

nelots said:
^BAhahahhah your on Dodo and your speeds better than mess on primus even though your 550miles further away :D
Dodo has been good to me .....well ever since i threatened them that is bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Death_Reincarnated

ACEHOLD said:
nelots said:
Dodo has been good to me .....well ever since i threatened them that is bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
How can you threaten an already extinct bird (dodo)??? rofl

dodo is still crap though lol

ACEHOLD

Death_Reincarnated said:
ACEHOLD said:
nelots said:
How can you threaten an already extinct bird (dodo)??? rofl

dodo is still crap though lol
They were pushing everyone off there old unlimited plans and i got caught in the war, end result though was 200gb a month plan, 100 on peak 100 off, 1.5mbps / 512kbps speed for $80 per month. Seeing as there are 4 machines here at home networked (wife, eldest 2 kids, + me) i needed the bandwidth and d/load limit. and at the end of my discussions Dodo had credited my account $600 and sent me a new DLINK DSL-G604T. so is working out for me and I dont get mucked about anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.