• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Stopwatch mode on ET server

Pug

Waddup my dudes, so a few of us on the server tonight were talking about mixing things up on the ET server by adding a stopwatch mode that we could /callvote on and off occasionally. Seems like we've got a bit of support from the regulars and it would be a nice break from 30min deathmatches every night. Let me know what you think...

gbt:)

I mean it's a good idea, with the level of whinging that you get from some of the people on that server tho I feel like it would be more trouble than what it's worth.
Also, it is apparently against the rules to rush the objective.. I was kicked for doing that the other day so it kind of defeats the purpose
That being said, if you can somehow enable etpro when stopwatch is loaded I would be on board. SW with etpub would be stupid.

Trigger Happy

Hmm I thought it might be something like that. If it isn't a complicated process, I'm happy to learn the process and throw it on if there is enough support. It may be better to be handled by admins anyway just to help keep the peace on the server.

Let me know what you think / if it's possible otherwise maybe a future something we can look at one day if we have access to a free server we can play with

Cheers

.pengu

I just wanted to say that I think this is what the server needs to make it interesting. Nobody plays objective because allies get 20+ minutes to complete a map that should be finished in <10. So there's this unspoken rule not to play too hard until the last 5 minutes. This ruins much of what made this game so great - teamplay and strategy. As its currently set up everyone plays deathmatch, so the only fun that can be had is to play to increase your own stats or do novelty with the crazy group ( triggs lemr etc :D ).

I have no clue about the technical side of making a vote to change the server to stopwatch. But if we changed it so that stopwatch is on by default, then people can just vote nextmap whenever they don't feel like playing stopwatch. It would work in the same way how bots are on by default, but everyone can vote if they want them disabled. Same for stopwatch.

Does pub support stopwatch though? I don't mind if its pub + stopwatch. It would still be loads more fun than pub + deathmatch. Stopwatch doesn't mean the game has to be taken seriously, it just gives players something to play for instead of stats.

Also while I'm here, wanted to say thanks to all of you who keep the server running.

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
We can make a vote for stopwatch; the only problem is that it will only do a standard config, while we run a custom config on the server which stopwatch won't execute when the map is finished.

But I should be able to test to make sure that I might be wrong :D. With etpub and pro, they are 2 different mods which we would have to change at the host config and do a reboot

Last edited by a moderator:

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so changing the game type to stopwatch disables the vote map, so if we do a stopwatch it will be a defined map rotation. If we did do a stopwatch eg aldernest - fueldump - battery - etc so it is doable.

Last edited by a moderator:

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
ok my plan worked for stopwatch but would have to do a 6 map campaign, so to activate it you need to click on vote for competition settings to go back just have to vote for public settings cant vote for maps :( after the 6 maps are done it will go back to normal on its own
the campaign is
sw_oasis_b3

sw_goldrush_te

adlernest

bremen_b2

supplydepot2

Railgun
these can be changed

Legends for making this happen. I think all would agree on replacing railgun with something like deli/braun? Some maps that are awful to play 'deathmatch' style are quite enjoyable with stopwatch like ice, missile, etbeach etc.

Also, Trigger is a legend

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
nope did not work so what ill do is make it a 4 round match map campaign and just open up the vote for map then when get sick of playing just vote for pub

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
ok update on the stopwatch what i was going to do also did not work so i just made it start with oasis then go and vote for a map in the menu but please put it back when you have finished eg vote for public settings

.pengu

Thanks Phil. Almost everything seems to be working right except that the clock isn't being set in round 2. Also it seems like round 2 gets skipped sometimes.
EDIT: engineer rifle is deadly in stopwatch mode - kills with 2 body shots - should be 3 iirc.

Last edited:

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
yer i think it is a bug with the stopwatch timer for round 2, mmm not sure i know all the maps the i tried had a round 2

Been on the server 2 minutes tonight and as I thought the regulars are whinging about stopwatch. Matilda, Zulu and Invader all slamming it because they don't have xp save etc or that people /kill too much.
I'm afraid it's a lost cause with the bulk of the playing group being people who have no idea how to play a stopwatch game. Imagine if you were 3v3 and you had casius and matilda on your team? Pointless
I love it as an idea, but as I said the other day, server is full of sooks who only know one thing and thats hiding in their own spawn with 30 rnades and mines

Only thing they said that was valid is the rnade is overpowered. 2 shot kills. Shouldn't be like that.

The exact same thing happened when you loaded the dueling maps onto the server. Instead of actually playing the duels all the pub players would either just run around shooting everyone in the limbo areas or cry about it and go spec.

Pug

Unfortunately, gbt may have a point :( We had a 3v3 Goldrush the other night and defended as axis for 30mins just to have everyone leave when it switched sides. Thanks for the work though, I'm sure we'll be able to get some actual competitive stopwatch games going some nights if we get the right people online.