• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Trails & tribulations of GTX580 grahic's card by Asch

asch1

A few people have asked me of late what system I am running.
So I have posted the detail below, this is a home build PC that I built myself a few months ago sourcing parts from various area's which included computer fairs shop fronts & the internet where all the research was conducted.
The only real issue I have had to date was that the graphic's card after the first driver update from nvidia started to glitch during game play or video setting changes during movie play, to work around this issue the original driver that came with the card was reinstalled using the clean install method which you can do via nvidia's driver install program by choosing advanced install which gives you the option of a clean install, since purchasing this card which was pretty advance at the time, to cut a long story short every new driver nvidia put out since has been tested by me with the same sort of results getting glitches & occasionally freezing of game play.
Driver versions attempted 296.10, 301.42, 306.23 & finally the current update which looks promising is 306.97 all driver are for windows 7 64bit.
Currently the last driver update has had the best results to date with no major issues so far.

Hope this helps others with the same type of issue.
Cheers Asch. :p

Graphic card web site.
<14:41:13> "asch": http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX580_DCII2DIS1536MD5/#overview

PC Spec's
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X58A-UD5
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz, 3193 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. Fc6, 26/11/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 29.0 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB

asch1

Hi Ion
I have Version 2.0, I think it also depends when the board was manufactured & what version of bios is available at the time of manufacture, I have heard of the same boards getting different versions of bios, I have never really attempted to flash by bios on any of my PC's either as I don't really see much benefit in doing so, I might build a test rig one day when I get some time & see if i can really screw it up.

Cheers asch