• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

What O/S Do You Use & Why ???

i0nwr1t3r

Ok, I'll get the ball rollin ,Windoze by Micro$oft

Currently using XP 64 bit ,previously Xp pro 32bit,win 2000,win 98SE because I am running home built PC (x86 architecture) with 4GB of ram (32bit only uses 3.25GB max) & I am one of those point & click users (Dumbass) :rnade: who can't do more than ipconfig from a command line,so without a GUI I am up the proverbial creek without a paddle. :oops: :oops:

Main use is music,old games,web,watching vid's (I know what your thinking,learn to use it properly :D ) & light amount of d/l'ing.

So I have been procrastinating about an O/S upgrade & I saw an interesting post with a reply by cake on how nix is different on page 4 . :?

http://www.etozclan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=3486&start=30

So,I get one of those terrible ideas & think, "get a second HDD & run a dual boot"(I know,you don't need a physical second drive but when it's screws your MFT,you think,second drive,too easy),but nix users are the kind of users who can write their own drivers & often find they need to(or at least that used to be the case) & as I mentioned previously, GUI FTW !!! :D :D :D

My family run up to 5 different machines on an internal network that use windoze so I must have a win O/S for compatibility but a second O/S for tinkerin & the opportunity to learn something new does have it's appeal. :D

But,I am interested in any O/S mac/win/nix whatever,BUT be sure to explain what version & WHY !!!!!!!!!!!

micky

Linux is great for screwing round with especially in a command prompt basis.
but ah its easy to trash the operating system so be carefull but have fun.

Fraggle

If i had my way Id still be using windows 98SE ( there was nothing wrong with it if you used it right like all things!!!)

Alsa xp

Vista... only if your completely non computer savy

Window7 ill wait till the glitches are removed first!

i0nwr1t3r

@ joy, your using Vista for gaming? You must have lot's of ram or an extremely well configured system. :eek:

@ pancake ,Isee you have a wide variety of O/S's,can you use mac in a hackintosh or you must have genuine apple machine to run that O/S?

@ micky & pancake , what version of nix distro do you think will work for a GUI noob?

@ Fraggle , 98SE had excellent driver support from memory , but the 128MB only that was usable by the O/S even if you had 512MB was devastating.Wouldn't be able to load an Oz map in ET without a righteous crash :D

Win7, a techy advised me go 64bit pro not 64bit ultimate,you don't need multi-lingual support in most cases & bitlocker is a pain in the Bobbla. :(

The Admiral

Currently have Windows 7 RC on this machine and my media center. Mum and Sister's comps have XP Pro SP3 and XP MCE SP3 respectively.

@Fraggle: I'd seriously say that 7 has less flaws than XP. The only time my programs have crashed on me is when I've run out of RAM - having RCT3 in the background, iTunes, and 50+tabs in FireFox. It's a seriously improved OS, and while it is a little different at first, it is really easy to get used to, and the speed increase seems noticeable. Nothing like the Vista debacle when it came out of being slow, too hardware demanding or anything. 7 should run fine on whatever machine you have XP on.

That said, I really want to try OS X Snow Leopard. And eventually a Linux distro or twenty, though Snow Leopard currently seems more interesting. MacBook/Pro's have sweet as battery life.

micky

Mate the newer the linux the better these days (well for ubuntu anyway).
But there are so many linux options out there all free if you know where to go.
So id say get a seperate machine and do several boots on that if you really wanta muck around.

Oh and NEVA download linux of the net. try and use live cds.
They way more stable and reliable.

if you need any help with linux ask me cause i used to use ubuntu and dad has two ubuntu and we have an ubuntu server going so we know a bit (ALOT).

nelots

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
How does ET run on Win7? Might install W7 on my new comp if it runs ok.
Cheers
It runs fine but requires a bit of initial tweaking just like Vista.

G

wha does

@ joy, your using Vista for gaming? You must have lot's of ram or an extremely well configured system.
mean? everyone is like so shocked by the fact that my laptop = my deskptop, its my everything but idk maybe its me, but why dont i feel anything different? :(

JustMe

Given I have a sucky video card and a few other little issues with my set up I have just been out and purchased a little upgrade:

Am using, and will continue to use, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit - why - because I can. No other reason really. I've been using Windows longer than most of you young'uns have been alive!
So today paid for the following:

1 NZXT ZERO 2 Crafted Series (Black) Full-Tower Case *Front Audio, USB & eSATA NO PSU
4 Zalman ZM-F3BL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan, Sleeve bearing, 120x120x25mm, Speed: 1000~1800RPM, Noise: 20~32dbA
1 OCZ EliteXStream 800W ATX Power Supply Unit
1 Asus P6X58D Premium Socket B (LGA 1366) Motherboard
1 Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache *Quad Core* 2000Mhz Socket B (LGA1366) CPU + Fan Retail Boxed (BX80601920)
1 Corsair XMS Triple Channel Kit 6x 2GB PC12800 DDR3 (1600Mhz) Memory CL9-9-9-24 (HX3X12G1600C9)
1 Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870 1G DDR5 PCI-E Video Card 32Mx32 GDDR5 256-bit 875MHz/1250MHz, DIRT 2 Coupon, Battlestations Pacific Game

Mobo not available till the new year so Joker, you can rest easy for a while. :)

G

i dont even know a just me :)
but sounds like santa really likes you
or you just love yourself

The Admiral

nelots said:
-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
How does ET run on Win7? Might install W7 on my new comp if it runs ok.
Cheers
It runs fine but requires a bit of initial tweaking just like Vista.
Really? Mine worked perfectly after I installed it (and patched it) and then ran the PB Update thingy. Then just loaded et, executed my old config file, restarted ET and connected straight to the OZ server. I never had any 'Run as Administrator' or 'Run in compatibility mode' issues.

I noticed the tiniest bit of rise in FPS with 7, however that was possibly just thinking that everything in 7 ran faster. I skipped Vista too, it was XP MCE SP2 --> 7 when the Beta came out back in January. Haven't used RTM or retail yet, but I hear they're practically the same.

Trigger Happy

Well just whacked on Win7 finally, had that legit RTM copy lying around for months and months now and never bothered putting it on anything. Seems ok I guess, doesn't have my old res settings as it bombs out opengl, but it will suffice I suppose.

Cheers

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Using Vista Business N at the moment - and it loads faster than XP as far as I can tell. Have tried the RC Win 7 and it honestly doesnt look that hugely different to Vista - just tweaked is all I can see.

Running the RC 7100 build of Win 7 in VM but will finally pull the finger out and d/l the student deal of $49.95

nelots

The Admiral said:
Really? Mine worked perfectly after I installed it (and patched it) and then ran the PB Update thingy. Then just loaded et, executed my old config file, restarted ET and connected straight to the OZ server. I never had any 'Run as Administrator' or 'Run in compatibility mode' issues.
I noticed the tiniest bit of rise in FPS with 7, however that was possibly just thinking that everything in 7 ran faster. I skipped Vista too, it was XP MCE SP2 --> 7 when the Beta came out back in January. Haven't used RTM or retail yet, but I hear they're practically the same.
I didn't have much trouble to be honest, just the usual nagging firewall cockblocking pb. Apart from that it was smooth sailing but I still prefer running Win XP.

morbit

i am using the most god awful os i have ever used, unstable, slow, flogs crap out of pc if leave indexing on but does it anyway with its auto defrag crap so i guess may as well leave em both on as i cant work out how to stop the auto defrag soooo meh
the piece of crap that most would have guessed is vista 64bit premium

oh and no i have never had any issues with et or pb just software incompatibility or instability (HEAPS) lots of programs just don't seem to like vista 64bit

will be changing to wind 7 once i see more feedback on it (and bother looking into it)

have ubuntu feisty as duel boot but that was with old pc didn't bother with new one
now thats a fast os but i got sheets all the time using terminal hence not on new one

the whole cake

I use a custom built OS I hacked from Ubuntu. It runs almost anything I throw at it.
Windows is on a bit of a steady decline in their operating system fronts. Basically due to them being a commercial enterprise attempting to control infrastructure. If you've been keeping an eye on Windows you'll probably notice its been going down hill quite badly since XP, and the paradigm hasn't really changed.

Most of the development is in the non-proprietary space. Its actually going pretty bad for MS. They have a finger in most markets that include software, and in all of them they can't keep up with the adoption of non-proprietary solutions. Basically the world is turning vendor-neutral, and things like 'I need XYZ system to play XYZ program' is becoming obsolete.

In short, the cake's awesome reputation of being good at computers cos he has a linux system is starting to fade. Everything from airline entertainment systems to elderly people to the stock exchange and mobile phones are using linux or some kinda system thats based on a non-proprietary framework.

Microsoft's main offering is actually Win32. Its the name given to the environment Windows provides to applications & software. That is mostly reverse-engineered now, so their main offering is starting to be pretty mute.

Cakes advice: Learn whats out there. Computers are a fkload smarter than is generally believed. Go have a nose about systems that are out there. Microsoft is only one playah and their offering is pretty basic in comparison to the others. Seriously dont be so noob :p

Observe:
http://silenceisdefeat.com/~weblordpepe/macpclinux/macpclinux.html