• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Can we alter the map votes?

Antagonist

Hey guys im all for the map voting system and i personally think its awesome, just 1 little problem which im not sure u can even fix :S but ill chuck it out there anyhow. With our extensive map selection on the server and with a majority of the popular maps getting played in quick succession we sometimes get bombarded with 3 or 4 rounds of just plain disgusting choices, i remember being on yesterday and no one voted a map in because they were all rubbish..

so i ask this... is it possible to make the maps come back faster into the rotation or something or give popular maps a better chance of appearing?
seems like its always the same 5 maps which get un played then a good map comes on and its 12 votes for it :p

SkankyMoe

Antagonist said:
With our extensive map selection on the server
Selected by popular demand from multiple threads on forum regarding map requests.
The usual rotation was 12 maps. There was so many opinions and requests we moved
to the voting system so we could incorporate 32 maps for selection by voting.
This system has let cover most of the popular maps being requested.

Antagonist said:
majority of the popular maps getting played in quick succession
The voting system has 4 primary variables that effect how the maps are grouped together at voting time.
Currently we have selected 6 maps at voting time, it seems to offer the best ballance for mixing up the maps.

The higher the total times a map is voted for makes a map higher in eligible voting apperance.
The total times a map is played versus the last time that map was played makes it less eligible for voting apperance.

So what happens with the above is that you will end up with 1 or 2 x maps most played in the same voting table as
4 x maps that are more eligible for the mix. The system will try and pit most played against higher eligible maps.

Antagonist said:
is it possible to make the maps come back faster into the rotation or something or give popular maps a better chance of appearing
Heres a tip, if you dont want to see most popular maps put against each other in the same voting round, vote for your second
prefered map. Watch the count down timer for voting you can also re-vote . Say for example if the following maps and votes are cast.

oasis 13
town 01
battery 03
notw 00
venice 04
radar 04

With the above oasis is the clear winner, change your vote to your 2nd prefered map choice.
This would effect the stats system so it didnt put for example oasis + frostbite + sp_delivery
together in the same voting round which all typicaly win their position in most voting rounds.

Hope the above sheds some light on the voting system for you, its not perfect but to date its by far the best solution to keep everyone happy
in terms of everyones preferences of maps for rotation. Also rather than swapping out maps every month we are now judging map life span by map
stats, the bottom 5 maps that are less played get swapped out for new maps and the map stats are reset every time new maps are added/changed.

The below maps stats are only 2 days old, so you cant really judge everything to well as the stats seem to ballance out more after about 5 days.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Antagonist said:
so i ask this... is it possible to make the maps come back faster into the rotation or something or give popular maps a better chance of appearing?
seems like its always the same 5 maps which get un played then a good map comes on and its 12 votes for it :p
Actually.. yes It is.. I think I had altered the cvar for testing a while back, just so you know what I'm on about.

Code:
g_minMapAge [integer]

How long a map is ineligible for voting, after it is played
Its currently set at 12 So its quite decent currently. So that means for e.g. if oasis is played you have to wait 12 more maps before it can be played again, which on a standard rotation is good so it doesn't get over played and hated.

Ill try adding one more vote to the number of maps to choose from and see if that helps. There are now 7 votes to choose from lets see how that goes.

Kind Regards, BR

Death_Reincarnated

The only way the system can be skewed is if people don't vote. Usually few people vote at all and will skew the voting results. The more people vote the more accurate the results will be. I've noticed that the popular custom maps usually get voted over and over again without giving thought to trying something different, also with this what I find is that the server will be packed yet like a 1/3 of people will vote.

Please vote.

Messenjah

Quite often I cant vote, I see the title of the vote section but nothing is below it. But generally it works.

And please don't have 30 minute sniper maps - 10 minutes maybe.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Messenjah said:
Quite often I cant vote, I see the title of the vote section but nothing is below it. But generally it works.

And please don't have 30 minute sniper maps - 10 minutes maybe.
I will see to it that its a much faster spawn count for each team. Maybe 2 second spawn + 15 minute map, lower spawn shield as well. That should make the map A LOT more enjoyable for those who do and don't want to play it :p.

Map Specs for UJE Sniper, I had to do a few edits one in the default.cfg to ensure they go back to the original settings after the map and one for UJE. Is the UJE custom cvars.

set g_spawnInvul "3"
set g_userAlliedRespawnTime "2"
set g_userAxisRespawnTime "2"
set timelimit "15"
set g_userTimeLimit "15"
set team_maxCovertOps "24"
Cheers, BR

Flekzor

wat the fuck the server map choices were already puss enuf i go away for one week and come back and there are these puss as sniper maps with xmas music ????? seriously epic fail maps killing the server fucking server was empty by 10 last night becos ofthese puss maps seriously get these phaggotry maps outa the rotation massive server killers

Joke :D

Flekzor said:
wat the bobbla the server map choices were already puss enuf i go away for one week and come back and there are these puss as sniper maps with xmas music ????? seriously epic fail maps killing the server bobbla server was empty by 10 last night becos ofthese puss maps seriously get these phaggotry maps outa the rotation massive server killers
honestly i think its rather ironic, people come onto the server to have fun, but when fun maps are put on the server, people are like "nah fk dat"

Antagonist

fun maps are ment for screwing around.. people come on OZ for a good game of ET because its 1 of the few servers left.. they dont come on to play hide and seek in the snow for 30 minutes.... i have to agree, the fun maps aint too fun, except xmas fueldump, i actually thought that map rocked until it bugged out

SkankyMoe

Uh apart from the xmas maps, which are only on for a couple of weeks, hence its xmas time.
The only fun map is "Golden Dunk" and cmon, thats fun, I havent seen anyone complain about that map yet ?

If there are maps you would like to see on the server that arnt there now, let me know, I'll make it happen for ya.

Death_Reincarnated

G-Train said:
Yeah the cannon was awesome fun, looked like a fun map. Shame that.
Try blocking your team mate and make him shoot out of the cannon sideways....into the wall and on the ground splat....forgot who I did that to lol sorry :D

I dont see anything wrong with maps. You have the choice so make it rather than complain they are useless. I get tired of fragging without any team work map after map...it gets boring camping Allies on few maps in a row...or your team get owned. Change is good if you dont like it then go to GA for fraggin time.

Trigger Happy

If you are playing the Christmas maps, it means there are enough people voting to play it. So if it isn't fun for you, that is a shame as a majority seem to like it if it passes votes. If no one liked it it would never get played, simple.
We cater to all types at OZ with all kinds of maps. The time limit has been decreased on the sniper maps to at least make it more bearable for those that do not like the map. We all have maps we don't like that get played on the OZ server, we just have to grin and bear it for that time.

Cheers

nelots

Are you sure people are voting for the maps because they like it or just simply have no idea what it is and want to try it out of curiosity?
Also other if I was ever going to disconnect I would so vote for the worst map to come up next and have you bastards still online suffer for the next 20 or so minutes :)

Pic of the Day: