• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Change the server to ETPRO

Zonji

Was just wondering what everyones thought's were about changing the server to ETPro, It has a lot better hitboxes the ETpub and is just better in general.
Just curious as to what people think.

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Discussed this on the server this morning......I am actually going to say this has to be considered and am backing the idea.

It may take a bit of getting used to but may attract some more players to the OZ server as well. That can only be a positive.

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
It has been voted on once before the problem is that there is a pub and pro community if you want the fun cmds you go with pub if you want less fun cmds you go with pro although that was a few years ago that I have has a look at this we do have a pro server which is stopped at the moment needs to be tweaked a little before it is up and running

Regards
Phill

Joke :D

The problem is that the pub-loving regulars on the server are the ones that aren't regularly on the forum, and changing to Pro will cause them to leave (most probably).

Also, the amount of hours BR/Phil/Fern/Ama/Mars/etc have put into practically remaking the ETpub mod compatable and nearly lag-free for most people is priceless, and you can't get the same results by simply clicking your fingers and switching the mods over.

I'm all for ETPro, but if the overlords don't think its worth all the work in a nearly dead game, then people will just have to cop it sweet

McBain!!

The problem is that the pub-loving regulars on the server are the ones that aren't regularly on the forum, and changing to Pro will cause them to leave (most probably).

I'm all for ETPro, but if the overlords don't think its worth all the work in a nearly dead game, then people will just have to cop it sweet
Have to agree with Joke, every time we've had the Pro server up only about 6 people ever played on it at the one time.
The EtPro players have nearly all gone, they had a revival on cg servers but eventually even that died out.
I think put a pro server up for scrims and such but don't swap the pub server for pro.

bishy

Worst part is that people need 2.6b to run it. Not many people would even know how to patch this.

I'd love if it was etpro and as popular, but it would probably die for this reason.

blusky

Worst part is that people need 2.6b to run it. Not many people would even know how to patch this.

I'd love if it was etpro and as popular, but it would probably die for this reason.
Pretty much this.
Dont get me wrong, I KNOW that ETPro is far superior in pretty much every aspect.
BUT it would most definitely kill the server if it was changed to PRO.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member

Also, the amount of hours BR/Phil/Fern/Ama/Mars/etc have put into practically remaking the ETpub mod compatable and nearly lag-free for most people is priceless, and you can't get the same results by simply clicking your fingers and switching the mods over.

Agree with joek here.

My take is changing to pro will alienate the semi regs / non pro regs, while catering for the pros. My name isn't Tom Waterhouse and I don't know how those pro's make all those headshots, but I do know what punters want and I reckon they would bet it would kill the server.

F2, leave as is.

Trigger Happy

I think this community prefer pub because it is more laid back than that of pro. There are other considerations to keep in mind, such as there not being any good way to ban people on pro as what we have on pub. No game will ever have a perfect system of banning, but ours has been pretty good for the last few years thanks to Ama and we would find ourselves fighting that losing battle again if we switched to pro.

We have in the past run a pro server alongside the pub server, a few times in fact, however it tends to gain momentum for a couple of weeks and then it tends to go empty or only a couple of people end up playing there. We also then had that issue of no OZ members really playing there and thus having no real control over kicking / banning when needed. We could probably look at doing a pro server again alongside the pub, but I doubt there will ever be enough support to completely change over to a pro server....and if we did I am 99% sure someone would either just go host another pub server or there would be a mass exodus to whatever else is currently standing.

Just my thoughts, I am open to hearing other thoughts on the matter though.

Cheers

i0nwr1t3r

ET Pro has better hitboxes & netcode , but it has other limitations that stopped OZ making the move to it in the past.

I think Phil , Bishy , Blusky & Triggs have nailed this one on the head & I have to agree with Joke here too.

Pro doesn't really / if at all , support third party mods , & our mod was coded for pub as joke said.
Without admins / members no one to keep server running smoothly.
ET 2.60b patching issues as Bishy stated earlier.

Omnibot , yes everyone hates bots , but no-one will join an empty server & sit there waiting for a second player , so they'll leave.
Nearly all servers that died had limited (terrible or nerfed) or no bots to populate server , even noobs want something to shoot at.

I know all the pro's wanted the pro hitboxes , but there were too many unsolved issues to migrate to pro.

Lucky

I don't play ET much any more but is it possible to change the hitboxes and all that stuff on the ETpub?

i0nwr1t3r

I don't play ET much any more but is it possible to change the hitboxes and all that stuff on the ETpub?
I can be done to a limited extent , but it's a P.I.A to code & isn't always as successful as players would hope for.
I'll let the Ama , BR or Triggs field this one , coding is beyond my expertise.

Lucky

Ah ok. Well I don't know if this just repeating what I posted before but what about taking the two Codes from Pub and Pro and like combine them? I dunno if that will do anything or not. Im just a wild cat throwing out ideas and laying around the place.

Or have like a Once a month Saturday night ETpro mod time..thingy. Don't know if that's asking a lot but just set the pub server to Pro once a month for a few hours? Like Saturday pro day?
Just throwing in my 2 Cents in :)

On a side note. I should get back into ET. :p

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
We have a public pro server the ip is in our ts et description it was just turned off due to I had set the max players to to much and it had disabled it self :( so as of last night it is up

Trigger Happy

If I recall correctly, the etpro code is closed source, which basically means we can't get access to it in order to shove it into etpub. I think BR has in the past actually got a hold of the NoQuarter mod which may have had better netcode than etpub, but integration wise I have no idea how hard that would be.

Ama or BR may be able to add more comments on that though.

Cheers

Ulti

ive played a couple of a times on servers in the states that run the SILENT MOD.. honestly dont know much about it but it seems very smooth and playable, feels like ETPRO with all the extras of PUB
if anything perhaps that's worth a shot, but once again im not to sure how user friendly it is.. but it seems the most common mod in the states.