• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

cl_maxpackets Question for Server

Overmars

ET Moderator
How important is flexibility in the maxpackets setting? People who have it set to 100 use a lot more bandwidth from the server (as far as I understand it anyway) than those with it set to 30 (default), and that may be contributing to the lag issues on the server.

How important is it for quality of gameplay to be able to adjust this setting client-side?

(The reason for asking is I'm wondering if this var could be forced at 30 for example, so no matter what people had it set to locally, it would be 30 - but I'm not sure if that would negatively effect people's gameplay, so asking)

JoKeR

yes it does affect gameplay if its lower. It shouldnt be an issue thought because 90% of players use 30 which is default anyway.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
-OZ-Overmars said:
How important is flexibility in the maxpackets setting? People who have it set to 100 use a lot more bandwidth from the server (as far as I understand it anyway) than those with it set to 30 (default), and that may be contributing to the lag issues on the server.

How important is it for quality of gameplay to be able to adjust this setting client-side?

(The reason for asking is I'm wondering if this var could be forced at 30 for example, so no matter what people had it set to locally, it would be 30 - but I'm not sure if that would negatively effect people's gameplay, so asking)
Ok, well its your MAX packets, therefore if only about 10 people are playing its not going to require 100 packets per whatever, however if a lot more people are connecting its better to get information sent over in many packets instead of one larger packet, as information can be lost..

Hope that makes some sense..

Overmars

ET Moderator
Sure, but when there are more people on the more data going through will mean lag for everyone, so it won't really help anyway will it?

Lestat

smaller packets means your client is able to get updates faster,I used to use on node 15.ogn even tryed useing forcecvar to force everyone to the same rate/packets.

nelots

shived said:
smaller packets means your client is able to get updates faster
Yeah but the updates are in smaller data packets which means the environment isnt updated in detail thus people with higher maxpackets are able to attain better accuracy.

If you cap maxpackets to 30 itll definitely disadvantage those players who've set theirs on 100 as the new restriction will make their movements move jerky and less precise.

IMO the problem is when the server is filled with players with different maxpacket values. Players with maxpackets 30 and below will seem jerky/warpy, players with 30-60 will spike from time to time and players on 100 will play fine but will see other players warp.

Death_Reincarnated

As long as the server can cope with the upload bandwidth with regards to everyones cl_maxpackets then it should be fine no matter what people choose. Afcoruse your internet has to cope with the settings as well.

The higher the cl_maxpackets the more often you will transmit information to the server. When you send information you require the server to send it back; hence why both upload AND download bandwidth is neccessary for the server.

One thing I have noticed is that cl_maxpackets does coincide with what your com_maxfps. People who complain about lag/spikes might have these issues due to the inconsistencies between these two settings...have a read of this, something i found recently---> http://forum.drc.su/quake-iii-cl-maxpac ... t1103.html

Death_Reincarnated

Messenjah said:
Ah death you really didnt read the thread did you

That link is in my post :p =
bahahaha lol i went through the posts and saw you rlink but didnt click on it...didnt realise untill it was too late....WHY CAND YOU EDIT YOUR POSTS FFS LOl...hence why i left it there. at least were on the same page heheheh :)