• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Google hits back at Facebook with Buzz

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Gmail gets social networking upgrade.

Google today launched Buzz, a social networking module that sits on top of Gmail and allows users of the webmail program to share photographs, links and videos with other Gmail users.

The news comes just days after US-based online analysis firm Hitwise revealed that during 2009, Facebook had become the biggest referrer of news content - beating even Google News.

In the readwriteweb blog, Marshall Kirkpatrick called Facebook the "promised land" for publishers.

"Facebook is about 10 times as big as Digg or Twitter but so far has been less focused on sharing and clicking links. If Facebook can become the go-to place for hundreds of millions of users to find news (and that seems quite likely, doesn't it) then the company is going to be in a very good position," wrote Kirkpatrick.

Google has been developing the social networking element for some time and is made possible because, according to a Google Australia blog entry, there has "always been a giant social graph underneath Gmail", which means that Buzz-enabled Gmail users will find they are already "following" the people they regularly contact.

Buzz will communicate with Flickr and Twitter, as well as Google properties such as YouTube and Picasa, but it is incompatible - for now - with Facebook.

Google has "relied on other services' openness in order to build Buzz and claims to be working on making Buzz "a fully open and distributed platform for conversations".

"We're busy working on a full read/write API for developers," the blog entry said.

The mobile version of Buzz, which tags posts with location-based data to "answer to the question 'where were you when you shared this', could also spell doom for foursquare, which provides a similar service and has steadily been growing in popularity.

Google expects Buzz invites will be sent to all Gmail users by the end of this week.

Facebook did not return requests for comment.

//Sourced from ITnews.com.au

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
I am not a massive face book user my self, however, I get the feeling it will be as successful as Bing and really only getting the recognition it needed as much as its previous products like Google Wave.. However, its interconnection with other social networking sites such as twitter and their current Google network does mean they aren't starting from scratch with their network population and have a heads up.

Cheers, BR

Bucket

Something doesn't ring quite 100% here....................2 posts from BR and no glaring spelling issues, I think we have an imposter in our midst :eek: :eek:

nelots

-OZ-bucket said:
Something doesn't ring quite 100% here....................2 posts from BR and no glaring spelling issues, I think we have an imposter in our midst :eek: :eek:
Nah, BR's been improving exponentially on his writing skills ever since I slapped him with my reality stick way back.
Too bad others can't follow suit :S

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
nelots said:
-OZ-bucket said:
Nah, BR's been improving exponentially on his writing skills ever since I slapped him with my reality stick way back.
Haha, I must admit, quite a while back remember talking to me about it and truly ever since I had tried to ensure my spelling is more correct.. However, that now entails going back and seeing if there are any red lines underlining. Its fast typing vs accuracy, I guess If I slow it down a bit things are much more accurate.

P.S Thanks bucket.. & nelots for smacking me with your very large stick.. :)

nelots

-OZ-Black Racoon said:
P.S Thanks bucket.. & nelots for smacking me with your very large stick.. :)
Don't thank me, you're the one who put the long hard yards to improvement. You should thank yourself for creating a brighter future :)

phatbass

nelots said:
-OZ-bucket said:
people just cbf making sure spelling is correct on forums most ppl get the idea and look past the spelling anyway

Death_Reincarnated

phatbass said:
nelots said:
-OZ-bucket said:
people just cbf making sure spelling is correct on forums most ppl get the idea and look past the spelling anyway
Amen bruddaaaah.

As for google having its own version of FB...another friggin website that youll need to check for email/blog/responses.....baaaah its just BS AND I CBF TBH.

Antagonist

nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Amen bruddaaaah.
Yaeh, aman bruddah aspecially whan i dalabaratly mak mitaks 2 b preety kewl!
fuck i love you cheekz, death your 25 years old.... leet speak is pre teen talk.. grow a set and talk like a person who actually has something relevent to say.. not hey phat remember when i panzered that 1 guy was awesome loLZLOLZZZ

nelots

Antagonist said:
bobbla i love you cheekz
Your real name is Ralph right??? :)
[youtube:j49dlfh8]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EqIIeGmhL2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EqIIeGmhL2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:j49dlfh8]

Antagonist

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLL thats awesome... he looks so dodgy as well.. i love it.. sending it to alot of ppl right now :>

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
ROFL - that is an epic video.

Also, did you get the kid's name? JIMMY BARNES!

ROFLCOPTER taking off!

Death_Reincarnated

nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Amen bruddaaaah.
STFU and...

Antagonist said:
nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Amen bruddaaaah.
bobbla i love you cheekz, death your 25 years old.... leet speak is pre teen talk.. grow a set and talk like a person who actually has something relevent to say.. not hey phat remember when i panzered that 1 guy was awesome loLZLOLZZZ
STFU x2

Oh wait its silent anyways...GTFO then.

I'll write however i feel like it and if you dont like it then tough luck.

P.S. @antagonist How the F**k was your response to me any more relevant to the thread itself...explain that to me pls...

Joke :D

Death_Reincarnated said:
nelots said:
[quote="Death_Reincarnated":2b4di3ws]Amen bruddaaaah.
STFU and...

Antagonist said:
nelots said:
Death_Reincarnated said:
Amen bruddaaaah.
bobbla i love you cheekz, death your 25 years old.... leet speak is pre teen talk.. grow a set and talk like a person who actually has something relevent to say.. not hey phat remember when i panzered that 1 guy was awesome loLZLOLZZZ
STFU x2

I'll write however i feel like it and if you dont like it then tough luck.[/quote:2b4di3ws]

Amen bruddaaaaah.

<3

nelots

Death_Reincarnated said:
STFU and...
STFU x2
I'll write however i feel like it and if you dont like it then tough luck.
P.S. @antagonist How the F**k was your response to me any more relevant to the thread itself...explain that to me pls...
Bahahhahahah, good come back death......... I sure wish I had your witty sense of vengeance.
Please school me with your far superior intellect.