• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Hammer & Trigga

Trigger Happy

@Hammer, well the only times I have seen lots of disconnects on maps is usually due to people downloading the map itself and after a few times of it most people are still there. There are times when people ragequit on a map they don't like, but that will always happen. Again, we cater to everyone, not just the "shooters" or the "snipers" or the "panzer noobs". We like maps that are a bit different and we like to see what happens with them and generally speaking this method has gone well for our server seeing as it is still number one in Aus.

If I didn't have to reformat my computer and still had my FTP login details I would have happily downloaded the mapvote file and shown you the raw numbers of what people like and don't like. This file shows the number of plays, the number of times a map shows up for votes and the number of times it was actually voted for.

I personally would trust the numbers in that file over one person in the forums who seems to have little taste for other maps outside the "standard" range that we have played over and over for years.

@G, hahaha every time with missle! :p

Cheers

hammerkrook

@Hammer, well the only times I have seen lots of disconnects on maps is usually due to people downloading the map itself and after a few times of it most people are still there. There are times when people ragequit on a map they don't like, but that will always happen. Again, we cater to everyone, not just the "shooters" or the "snipers" or the "panzer noobs". We like maps that are a bit different and we like to see what happens with them and generally speaking this method has gone well for our server seeing as it is still number one in Aus.

If I didn't have to reformat my computer and still had my FTP login details I would have happily downloaded the mapvote file and shown you the raw numbers of what people like and don't like. This file shows the number of plays, the number of times a map shows up for votes and the number of times it was actually voted for.

I personally would trust the numbers in that file over one person in the forums who seems to have little taste for other maps outside the "standard" range that we have played over and over for years.

@G, hahaha every time with missle! :p

Cheers
All that file is good for is wiping you're arse with because all it would show would be the three lousy votes to awful maps like lighthouse and eagles way 2 because usually most people would have forgotten to vote or voting against bots. So no that doesn't prove a thing I've seen the server die many a times because two players want to play snipers wars and I'm usually on every night. Just because you have a different playing style or play a different class doesn't make a bad map good.

Also for little taste for other maps that's just retarded mate I've played long enough to know a good map from a bad map. I'm all for trying new maps but there is a reason why those "standard" ones are played over and over again, and there's other maps that should never see the light of day.

I'm also quite sure the "shooters" out way the randoms wanting to play covert atm.

EDIT: I'm interested in why you think maps like lighthouse and eagle ways are good maps ?

Last edited by a moderator:

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Posts removed from 'maps' thread due to being off topic but containing enough to not be deleted outright

Joke :D

Hammer, babe, the reason people like trigger and myself like eagles is for the small fun parts of it. We're over being serious, and are all for the lolz of the trampoline on eagles, and the countless goombah opporunities on lighthouse.

Some of my favourite memories of OZET is being on vent with g-train, skanky and co, and launching each other off the top of the lighthouse onto unsuspecting axis below. While yes, our fun was at other people expense, the laughs are what keep alot of the old farts around these days.

The classics and the good maps like adler, frost, bremen, supply are still great maps to play, but you can only play a map a certain amount of times before you get sick of it.

G-Train

yeah, lighthouse is good just to take a break from shooting and go all goombah on the natives. I got a double goombah the other night, eh Bunni :)

And yeah, the gold old days on vent where we would be pissing ourselves for 15 minutes straight, at the end i'd be crying like a little girl at a Beiber concert and my guts would feel like i'd just done a million ab crunches :D

God I miss Skank!

E: Oh Yeah, MISSILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trigger Happy

Hammer you make me laugh. Believe what you want mate, not all of us are fully srs about et anymore so we like different maps for fun. You do realise right now you are fighting opinion with opinion? Just because you believe a map is bad doesn't make it bad. Also, if your argument is that people don't vote then try and get them to vote. If only 3 people are voting as you say, you are still outnumbered so suck it up and deal with it.

The shooters don't outweigh the rest, if they did we would be playing pro and not pub.

Please QQ moar

Cheers

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
So basically, to sum it up: people want maps for fun, not just for serious play, and thats why we are a PUB Server, we run maps that add some form of diversity over the general smg med-hore gameplay that seems to drive most maps. People enjoy eagles and lighthouse, so we leave them up.

The other point is that we aren't running a full compliment of maps at the moment, so we actually have room for about four more. So instead of whining about the maps you seem to have issues with, allow others to enjoy them. Leave the map bashing for when we decide to remove maps. Suggest 4 that you think would bolster the gameplay of the server, not continue the monotony of some maps.

EDIT: Triggs beat me to it

hammerkrook

Right so I finished work early today because it hit 35 degrees in Melbourne, YES! Finally home, beer cracked, a joint to relax and this playing.

[video=youtube;zaP7STV1aFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaP7STV1aFs[/video]
(Leave playing while reading for added effect).

Why? Because this is such a fitting song to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory's untimely demise if you continue to play maps such as Eagles Ways 2 and Lighthouse.

Thought about this all day, (Yeah I'm a nerd umad?) I figured maybe I should just leave it here because I can already see where this is going, a endless argument and a few thread pages later and I'll get frustrated and end up writing some derogatory shit and more than likely receive a few day ban. But then I can't let you win that hurts my ego way too much, maybe it because I'm a serious gamer only.

Believe what you want mate, not all of us are fully srs about et anymore so we like different maps for fun.
I don't play this game for fun I play it because I have to get paid. Right? Quite the contrary using the words serious and ETPub in the same sentence just doesn't make sense ! We all play this game for fun so get that fucking shit outta here worst excuse ever.

are all for the lolz of the trampoline on eagles, and the countless goombah opporunities on lighthouse.
I know I asked what do you like about the maps but I was meaning the layout of the map and the objectives because if I'm not mistaken OZ is an objective server but I'm yet to see the objective set on Eagles Ways 2 only once when I did it to end the map. Why does the map objectives never get set? Because the map lacks simplicity, direction, size and severe balance issues giving one team the advantage throughout the map. Even yourselves still haven't even mention anything about why the maps are "GOOD".

Also, if your argument is that people don't vote then try and get them to vote. If only 3 people are voting as you say, you are still outnumbered so suck it up and deal with it.
My argument got a little lost here but say I join the server only a couple people on and they vote for Eagles Way 2. Right I got out voted deal with it. But that's not my argument, Eagles Way 2 begins say five people are on, be lucky if one person joins while its being played. The map ends and changes to a "BORING OLD STANDARD" map nearly 10o10. These maps kill the server, FACT !

So basically, to sum it up: people want maps for fun, not just for serious play, and thats why we are a PUB Server, we run maps that add some form of
diversity over the general smg med-hore gameplay that seems to drive most maps. People enjoy eagles and lighthouse, so we leave them up.
Those same people that like these maps, (excluding clan OZ) continually bleed, warned for heavy weapons in spawn, usually never play medic but never get the objective either (because they are to busy chasing frags, what? Us "shooters" are the only ones that play for k/d, duh!) and last but not least, (My personal favorite) the old three teammates in a room shooting one enemy at half hp still fires panzer in and team kills for a frag followed by a sorry !

With the exception of Midas and the occasional verbal abuse how often are us "shooters" griefing the server, team killing players and using heavy weapons in spawn? Yet we are stereotyped and treated like social outcasts.

This probably isn't the best indication but I don't see either Lighthouse or Eagles way 2 there:

OZ members repeatably write in the server to come to the forums if we have something to say so I finally do it and are told to:

Please QQ moar
Settle down wannabe Midas this is a "SERIOUS" discussion about maps please keep on topic.

i0nwr1t3r

Hi Hammer ,
This is a very old argument , run the Pro rotation , they're good maps etc , that's why we do have a Pro server & can turn that on by request if Pub server isn't lagging.

That's a good list btw but there are some maps OZ has run before & they were unpopular for various reasons.

eg
Maps
5 Baserace Final
8 Railgun
15 Warbell
17 Beach Invasion Official

19 UJE Ocean Sniper

21 Hydro Dam 2
26 Sniper Lake
27 Paris Bastille Beta 3

Some maps should only be run for special events (Baserace comes to mind) & some are QQ'd about by the defending team (Warbell).
We try to offer fun maps for the general public as well as including some of the Pro rotation for those who are more concerned about general play rather than mucking around.

We avoid adding sniper maps to the map rotation that's what Eagles & others can be used for , so snipers may up vote those maps to accommodate their gameplay.

Noobs discharging a panzer in the middle of a close range firefight , well what can you do? This is a Pub server after all & Noobs will be Noobs.

This is a place to primarily have fun & maybe even learn their craft , with a few self rebounding rnades thrown in until they get their technique down , so don't be hating on Pub'ers , even Pro's had to start somewhere.

hammerkrook

I wouldn't say they were all unpopular because Railgun and Warbell were ran for a little while back in the day in the competitive scene. As for the rest I can't judge them I haven't played them.

This is a place to primarily have fun & maybe even learn their craft , with a few self rebounding rnades thrown in until they get their technique down , so don't be hating on Pub'ers , even Pro's had to start somewhere.
That's right were "ALL" here to have fun not be team killed over and over for a frag. I still team kill a lot, (Poor Dongo will agree with that during clan RoK) but at lest when I started playing I wouldn't go panzer and run around bleeding or team killing for frags, I was too busy trying to get the objectives.

Noobs discharging a panzer in the middle of a close range firefight , well what can you do? This is a Pub server after all & Noobs will be Noobs.
There is a difference between the guy discharging his panzerfaust in the middle of the fight he was in and walking in last with all you're team mates there and still firing one in. Its not just panzerfausts its the same people that prime a grenades watch a bunch of teammates walk into a room and still throws it in. You're saying that they lack common sense?

We try to offer fun maps for the general public as well as including some of the Pro rotation for those who are more concerned about general play rather than mucking around.
I think its just a pretty lame excuse to justify running these bad maps because "WE ARE ONLY MUCKING AROUND".
All you proved last night is that seven OZ members can vote stack because that's how many votes Eagles way 2 received, and were meant to be the immature ones. (Also the only players doing the objective was Midas and I to finish it).

This was meant to be about why the maps are good and bad but all you have proved is there's nothing good about them.

hammerkrook

just the usual pub vs pro argument, centred around two maps for arguments sake.
These maps kill server numbers, you guys are the only ones that keep centering the argument around this "pub v pro" because you lack anything worth while mentioning about the good sides of these maps other than being able to jump on a trampoline.

Trigger Happy

Your arguments are circular hammer, you continue to say that we have no argument but we obviously do. Let me try and simplify it for you.

We. Like. Different. Maps.
We. Don't. Like. To. Play. The. Same. Maps. Over. And. Over. And. Over. Again.

Now to attend to your posts in order. ET has been slowly dying for the last few years, we have played maps such as lighthouse, eagles, christmas sniper etc and we haven't seen any less numbers than what you would expect if these maps killed our server.
You asked about what we like in those maps objective wise...we don't always care about the objective. Shock horror. To be honest I gave up on doing some of the objectives on maps purely because the "shooters" didn't care about doing them. All they cared about was pew pewing people back into spawn and camping. SOOO MUCH FUNNNN. Being on both sides of that arrangement I can say that for me it is boring, going off and trampolining while people are stroking their epeen on camping is my trade off. Other maps I personally like are saberpeak for the views, I think it has really nice imagery and when there are enough people it is actually quite fun to play on.

So somewhere your argument then turned to noob players panzering or what have you...Sure that is annoying, but again you do realise this is a pub server right? People are bad because we don't just boot them out of the game if they did something retarded by accident. The key word here being accident. If they continue to accidentally shoot teammates they are generally warned for excessive TK and honestly are probably kicked before that stage due to the player based TK complaint system. 3 TKs = a kick if you choose to press F1. If you have it turned off then suck it up and deal with it or turn it back on and complain. The reason that the "shooters" are getting into trouble is due to the fact that they generally do things on purpose, such as bleeding, tking and raging people on our server.

That list of maps you gave us, is that a list of our top 30 played maps or the top 30 maps played worldwide? Either way you will notice we play a high majority of those maps, I mean almost all of those maps have had a long stint on our server. This brings us back to the point about how we like to mix it up a bit. We have so many of those maps that you guys should like to play since they are in the top 30 there, why can't we have 5 maps out of I think 32? Is it really that unbearable that you can't play those 5 maps in a rotation pool of 32, of which are rotated out monthly or less? If not, well suck it up, it isn't going to change.

Your second post rounds back to the noob situation. The game is just about 9 years old now and there isn't the same community here that would have brought up most of the good players in the past. In the start of ET you learned a lot quicker what you needed to do, how to play and how not to kicked from a server. Again though, you generally learned this on a Pro server and not on a pub server.

As for your remark about being able to post on the forums, you are entitled to your opinion on the forums and you are invited to continue to do so. However, others are also entitled to do so, so please don't let it hurt your ego when people have a change in opinion to you :)

Cheers

hammerkrook

[video=youtube;9vAlhsyrvzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAlhsyrvzM&list=WL7D8881D505278187&index=1&feature=plpp_video[/video]
(Had to watch this before posting to pump myself up)

To be honest I gave up on doing some of the objectives on maps purely because the "shooters" didn't care about doing them. All they cared about was pew pewing people back into spawn and camping. SOOO MUCH FUNNNN. Being on both sides of that arrangement I can say that for me it is boring, going off and trampolining while people are stroking their epeen on camping is my trade off.
Unlike you we have learnt from our mistakes knowing full well that camping the other team in spawn results in a dead server, (RIP GA7 sleep well young prince) so you will often see us doing the objectives and swapping teams. But it still doesn't take away from the fact that when these maps (Eagles way 2 & Lighthouse) come on a significant amount of players go spectator or leave compared to the "OLD BORING MAPS". I think its pretty inconsiderate to vote stack these maps on a Friday night for five - ten people that enjoy it, maybe leave these maps for a non - peak time weeknight.

I'm also not sure why there is this popular misconception that us "shooters" only come on to try really hard and take screenshots so mum can put them on the fridge. We muck around and probably take it less serious than most of you and I'm sure anyone that been in vent with us will agree. So please stop using this argument.

So somewhere your argument then turned to noob players panzering or what have you...Sure that is annoying, but again you do realise this is a pub server right? People are bad because we don't just boot them out of the game if they did something retarded by accident. The key word here being accident. If they continue to accidentally shoot teammates they are generally warned for excessive TK and honestly are probably kicked before that stage due to the player based TK complaint system. 3 TKs = a kick if you choose to press F1. If you have it turned off then suck it up and deal with it or turn it back on and complain. The reason that the "shooters" are getting into trouble is due to the fact that they generally do things on purpose, such as bleeding, tking and raging people on our server.
This was only my point because for some reason you guys keeping coming back to you're same argument of medic - smg whores when really we follow the general in-game rules more so than these "PUB" players. I don't file because I understand they are newer players and I'll give them a go but it doesn't mean I won't point it out if you are going to use them as an argument to run theses maps.

That list of maps you gave us, is that a list of our top 30 played maps or the top 30 maps played worldwide? Either way you will notice we play a high majority of those maps, I mean almost all of those maps have had a long stint on our server.
I don't care if some of those maps in that list you have played on you're server before because we are talking about two map in specific Eagles way 2 and Lighthouse which aren't there
(shock horror)
and that image was just an indication so keep dodging the real point here.

Your second post rounds back to the noob situation. The game is just about 9 years old now and there isn't the same community here that would have brought up most of the good players in the past. In the start of ET you learned a lot quicker what you needed to do, how to play and how not to kicked from a server.
What a silly point to make, there are plenty of new players now that have become good regardless of what state ET is in for example Midas and Volta. I also believe the skill level of a lot of regular OZ players has increased quite dramatically than when I first played on you're server.

Again though, you generally learned this on a Pro server and not on a pub server.
This is very far from the truth as most people did start out on servers such as Internode and Optusnet etc. Out of all servers ETPub ones generally have the most rules compared to their counter parts as the only rule in most ETPro servers is really no hacking. Even then most players there will play against cheaters.

I personally started playing on a server very similar to you're s, 2.55 American ETPub server then on to Optusnet servers for many years because GA wasn't XP save (lewl !). It doesn't matter what mod or server you start on its just common sense.

(A very young hammerkrook. I got mum to put this one on the fridge)

As for your remark about being able to post on the forums, you are entitled to your opinion on the forums and you are invited to continue to do so. However, others are also entitled to do so, so please don't let it hurt your ego when people have a change in opinion to you :)
Really? Then why are we debating...

amacide

ET Moderator
I like this hammerkrook .... calm-headed reasonable suggestions.

The other point is that we aren't running a full compliment of maps at the moment, so we actually have room for about four more.
Exactly! This is the beauty of map-voting server like OZ... Make a few unpopular maps available for voting - so at least option is there.

Say OZ map rotation is 30 maps; make 24 - 26 of them the consistently popular maps; the other 4 - 6 "new" "fun" maps or whatever.

big bad blusky bak in town
blusky posted best map rotation years back <3
Just can't find anything on this forum anymore :(

Trigger Happy

Seems we just have to agree to disagree Hammer. With all your complaining you don't really have any constructive answers to the problem. You don't want the maps others want to play, even though as has been stated numerous times, there are vastly few of them compared to the number we do play that you should like.

Again with the voting situation, how are people vote stacking a map? If 5 people want to play the map then it seems enough people want to play it. For the times that I have been on recently (well in the last month, still dealing with the reformat of my computer), those in TS will generally ask who wants to play what and when no one really cares, we wait and see what is popular and choose what we want from those. If this is map stacking, perhaps you should join us on TS and share in the fun there as well as casting your vote in the ballot.

I will concede that we used to get situations where you would have 5 maps no one on the server wants to play and are stuck for a map, however we have limited the number of new (or bad, as you would describe them) these days so there should generally be at least one map that is popular. It is worth a note that the map vote code itself is interesting and I personally think the guy who did it did quite a good job. The only thing I would maybe change is to eventually stop showing maps that aren't getting votes. IIRC the code will continue to throw in mix maps that aren't well liked, whereas if it did something like after X times of being shown and not being voted X times or played X times then stop showing it and produce a flag in the log to change it, it would make our lives easier!

Finally, the point about on a Friday night having the crap maps being played is unfair, well there isn't much to do to change that. You can join in TS and try and persuade people to vote, or even in global itself, which is my favourite way to garner support. We could possibly load in different map configs for Friday nights, however that is a lot of work for Ferny since he has to add/remove maps for each rotation as the vote map code has some bugs where only the maps in the config can be on the server or it will just randomly load maps on the server into the vote anyway...

So you can see we actually do put in a bit of effort to sort out the map issues, or rather we did originally. However, being that Ama is mega busy with work, I'm busy with work and have to redo my computer to try have a load of code to redownload and BR is (or should be) busy with Uni not much will be done on a code level to try and sort things out. Personally, after putting in a lot of effort trying to figure out ways to keep people happy on the server and constantly seeing people QQ over something that doesn't suit them has made me jaded and thus have spiraled down to the same level of which the complaints come in at in the first place.

Cheers

hammerkrook

With all your complaining you don't really have any constructive answers to the problem.
I gave my suggestions in the other map thread. There are better maps that could be put in their place which you guys have previously ran before but everyone got so defensive that I knocked Eagles way 2 and Lighthouse here we are with this thread that I ended up just taking for a ride.

Map pool:
TC Base
GA El Kef
Reactor (Final)
base_12
Beerrun
Password 2
SW Battery
Library_b3
Again with the voting situation, how are people vote stacking a map?
The fact that after I wrote these post all the OZ members stack voted for Eagles way 2 numerous times on Friday night knowing I was on more than likely to wind me up. Seven OZ members seven votes... They can vote for whatever they like just a little sus aye.

So you can see we actually do put in a bit of effort to sort out the map issues, or rather we did originally.
I know that you guys do put in a lot of effort and I enjoy playing on you're servers, I was just putting forward what I thought about the map pool.