• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Headset vs headphones & stand alone mic?

i0nwr1t3r

Hi all,
Looked at a previous thread by Rainbow http://www.etozclan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3803&p=40214&hilit=gaming+headset#p40214 & I'm wondering,which is better?

Headset?
or
Headphones & stand alone mic?

My sound card is here http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=872&product=15854&nav=1

Current headphones here http://www.djtechpro.com/product_detail.asp?category_id=71&sub_id=119&product_id=405 Really comfortable for hours on end for only $20

Budget $200-$250 (max)

Headset I was considering http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=16

Headphones recommended over headset http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=178

But I would need a stand alone mic,which I know nothing about & how good a mic do I need if I'm not recording or making video's?

Also Rainbow suggested G35 (logitec?) headset ,so I need some feedback from ppl who use VOIP during online gaming.

Lastly,is there a difference between gaming audio equipment & the stuff I've linked to above(DJ equipment?) ie.explosions sound better,perception of audio placement vs enemy location / or is one strictly for music?

My cpu does not have HyperThreading so I didn't want USB drawing on cpu resources (the reason I use a sound-card) but maybe it's not that much? I don't know.

TIA

i0n

blusky

Re: Heaset vs headphones & stand alone mic?

Get a headset, it's just easier if you want to use ventrilo/teamspeak and play at the same time.

I bought a few $10-15 ones that broke in a few months then I err...borrowed a friends logitech brand headset and it's lasted with me for years and I treat it like crap.

I don't think you'd have to spend that much to get a decent head set.

Playing with a headset and being able to hear footsteps + getting a a gaming mouse increased my playing ability dramatically.

Ion if you don't have a gaming mouse I strongly suggest you purchase one with the rest of your 'headset' budget.

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-blusky said:
Get a headset, it's just easier if you want to use ventrilo/teamspeak and play at the same time.

I bought a few $10-15 ones that broke in a few months then I err...borrowed a friends logitech brand headset and it's lasted with me for years and I treat it like crap.

I don't think you'd have to spend that much to get a decent head set.

Playing with a headset and being able to hear footsteps + getting a a gaming mouse increased my playing ability dramatically.

Ion if you don't have a gaming mouse I strongly suggest you purchase one with the rest of your 'headset' budget.
Ok, what do you recommend? The primary purpose is communication in real time vs stopping to type & getting smashed.

The gaming mouse I'll start a different thread.

Cheers :)

blusky

Well ventrilo + teamspeak are usually used only for scrims and ladder matches against other teams. If you have no interest in doing this I still can't see anything wrong with getting a headset. There's no in game voice chat in ET that you can just speak to other players/ the rest of your team - it doesn't work like that.

I don't have a recommendation for a headset though :S

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-blusky said:
Well ventrilo + teamspeak are usually used only for scrims and ladder matches against other teams. If you have no interest in doing this I still can't see anything wrong with getting a headset. There's no in game voice chat in ET that you can just speak to other players/ the rest of your team - it doesn't work like that.

I don't have a recommendation for a headset though :S
It is for the purpose of scrimming (or learning anyways).

G-Train said:
Hey man,

Im doing the same mission as we speak.

From my research, the best 2 headsets atm are....

http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4

and

The one im getting which is best bang for buck is...

If you are going to get 1 of the top 2, u need a good sound card to take advantage of it, something with 7.1.

Cheers

G
G,I can't get to your links,were you logged in at the time?

Or could you point to an alternative site?

I will upgrade my sound card in a couple of months but the audio equipment is a genuine issue, oh & never buy a micro$oft headset (I'm told audio playback is abysmal).

Antagonist

tbh there will be literally 0 difference in a $1000 headset or a $20 one in terms of et.. your goal is to be able to hear footsteps as far/close as possible giving you a slight advantage with your surroundings.. and taking into account your complete hearing ability is based on your sound settings in your config... the cost of the headset shouldnt matter...

but yeah usually anything logitech is ganna be a winner.. reasonably priced and the products tend to take a beating without falling apart..
(i must rip my headset off the desk onto the floor so much, lads hard :< but never breaks!!)

i0nwr1t3r

@Thompson Pretty much trying to avoid USB as it decreases cpu performance while gaming.

@Antag Yeah I have a $20 set of headphones but the issue is vent/VOIP what ever to learn to scrim,real time communication.

I could could go & buy a stand alone mic for this but I have no knowledge about real time chat over teh netz so I need to get an education.

It's gonna be a one off purchase (headset or headphones)I won't make again for ages so I'd rather get great build quality with a long shelf life.

i0n

Death_Reincarnated

Antagonist said:
tbh there will be literally 0 difference in a $1000 headset or a $20 one in terms of et.. your goal is to be able to hear footsteps as far/close as possible giving you a slight advantage with your surroundings.. and taking into account your complete hearing ability is based on your sound settings in your config... the cost of the headset shouldnt matter...

but yeah usually anything logitech is ganna be a winner.. reasonably priced and the products tend to take a beating without falling apart..
(i must rip my headset off the desk onto the floor so much, lads hard :< but never breaks!!)
I agree with you there. There have been many counts of situations where I heard footsteps and knew where the enemy was, likewise when I have used panzer people could hear it charging and tried to outmanouver it. So as long as you can hear clearly then any audio recieving device attached to your head will do fine.

Also logitech seems to be leading quite well in the computer devices section and the general quality I have seen to be quite good, from mikes, to cams, to mouse.

As for choosing between headphones or headset. With headphones it might get uncomfortable after a while and the sound is not always as crystal (depending on the company who have produced them since they are cheap to make) clear and loud like in the headsets. There are headsets with inbuild mikes which makes things easier as well but if you find sticking things in your ear weird and uncomfortable then go for a headset, other than that the general sound quality is pretty much the same and IMO i dont need a highteck device attached to my head so I can hear footsteps and talk lol.

Antagonist

might as well buy a headset with a mic.. especially if u want it for scrims and stuff, but as long as they can hear u clearly and u hear them it wont matter what you buy...

i0nwr1t3r

Death_Reincarnated said:
Antagonist said:

I agree with you there.

IMO i dont need a highteck device attached to my head so I can hear footsteps and talk lol.
Now ThaT is a Quote!!! :D

It's also for music playback,vids & all that,which is what I want it for 90-95% of the time when I'm not gaming.

Antagonist

In that case 200-250 or whatever your going to spend is wicked overkill.. $60 more or less will get you a killer headset..
as ppl have said already... WORRY ABOUT A GOOD MOUSE FIRST!!! i cant begin to stress how much difference this makes.

SkankyMoe

-OZ-SkankyMoe said:
I got these and love them :cool:

Plantronics GameCom 777 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
http://www.plantronics.com/australia/aus/products/computer/pc-gaming-headsets/gamecom-777

Experience the thrill and excitement of 5.1 Dolby surround sound with the GameCom 777 Stereo PC Headset. Designed specifically for gamers who demand top-level sound performance, the GameCom 777 enhances any gaming experience with its surround sound, powerful 40 mm speakers, and hidden mic boom with built-in noise-canceling microphone.

Dolby 5.1 surround sound via included USB adapter
Dual 40 mm speakers for superior, full range digital audio
Exceptionally comfortable design
Hidden mic boom with noise-canceling microphone for enhanced communications
Open-ear design allows you to hear your teammates without having to take off the headset
One-year limited warranty

Highlights
Dolby® Headphone Technology delivers a 5.1-channel audio experience.
Dolby® USB sound card is the only way to get the 5.1 experience. If needed, an analog connection is also provided.
Open-ear design keeps you connected to the game and your surroundings.
Concealed mic boom stays hidden until you’re ready to use it.
Specially designed earpods redistribute pressure for maximum comfort.
In-line volume and mic-mute controls allow for easy audio adjustment.
Noise-canceling microphone lets you communicate clearly.
Rugged, military-grade design and extra-strength cables make your hardware hardcore.

SkankyMoe

Antagonist said:
whats the cost of that?
I paid $86 bucks for mine but that was back before xmas last year, Ive seen them cheaper since.
I've also got Logitech, TDK, Sony and Zalman headphones in my bucket of bits and peices, The
Plantronics GameCom 777 are by far the best set of headphones with mic Ive had to date.
I dont use the USB sound card device that comes with them, I just use the onboard soundcard.
They are also perfect for using with Skype and any other VOIP application, I use Skype heaps.

matilda

DerpLyfe

-OZ-i0nwr1t3r said:
lol, i0n.

I had that very same beyer headset and the movement of the mic unfortunately lead to the wires breaking inside one of the earpieces.
Tried to fix it but ended up making it worse. It was just out of warranty too :(
Too expensive to repair.
When they were working the sound (for music) was very good. The mic itself was average.

So, guess what? Ended up getting those Audio Technica headphones you mentioned above! (We must read the same forums :lol: )
They have very good clear sound but are very big and ugly. Quite comfortable though.

I too like to listen to music so the headphones must have a crisp tight sound.

Fortunately, headphones.com.au are here in Perth and they don't mind people trying the various headphones. Nice blokes.

Oh and btw, once you've tried a really good pair of headphones you'll never be able to go back to the crappy ones like the logitechs etc :p

i0nwr1t3r

-OZ-matilda said:
[quote="-OZ-i0nwr1t3r":3p14hkqo]

Headset I was considering http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=16

Headphones recommended over headset http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=178
lol, i0n.

I had that very same beyer headset and the movement of the mic unfortunately lead to the wires breaking inside one of the earpieces.
Tried to fix it but ended up making it worse. It was just out of warranty too :(
Too expensive to repair.
When they were working the sound (for music) was very good. The mic itself was average.

So, guess what? Ended up getting those Audio Technica headphones you mentioned above! (We must read the same forums :lol: )
They have very good clear sound but are very big and ugly. Quite comfortable though.

I too like to listen to music so the headphones must have a crisp tight sound.

Fortunately, headphones.com.au are here in Perth and they don't mind people trying the various headphones. Nice blokes.

Oh and btw, once you've tried a really good pair of headphones you'll never be able to go back to the crappy ones like the logitechs etc :p[/quote:3p14hkqo]

@Matilda interesting about the beyer headsets durability (had actually been giving it consideration) but would have expected better things considering the store recommending them.

I actually did purchase the AD700's so they'll ship them after payment clears next week,just wondering ,do they crush your head after hours of wearing?

What kind of soundcard are you running that on Matilda?

I bought this mic http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=210 for $9 but I discovered it has a static clip that is garbage ( will look for a better clip tomorrow).
And the audio test under win7 barely registered when I spoke into the mic (too distant from mouth?) so I had to turn on boost settings under device properties,but only a live test will confirm if this was a good purchase!

So I will have to ask someone to help me pls test it! :)

Worst case scenario,I'll buy a spare headset for realtime VOIP/vent but that will be doubling up,but in terms of testing purposes I'm sure it will be educational.

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member

+1 plantronics - I have a pair I bought at centrecom for $46 and they rock

matilda

DerpLyfe

-OZ-i0nwr1t3r said:
... just wondering ,do they crush your head after hours of wearing?

What kind of soundcard are you running that on Matilda?
No no, they are very comfy!

Soundcard is creative x-fi. Nothing special tbh.
There are other better cards out there for music I've heard.

Use the AD700s for music and pick up an $8 verbatim headset for those times when you need to use venty etc.
They are surprisingly good for the money! (http://i-source.shopbot.com.au/i/2006/1 ... _small.jpg).

Oh and you can buy a cheap y-splitter so you don't have to keep connecting and disconnecting the two sets.
(http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PA3582)