• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Horrible tearing in ET..only it's not real tearing afaik.

Zulu

Finally made a youtube video of it
Look at the door edges and the flag pole later on. This should not be happening at all with 144hz monitor refresh and 1000hz mouse polling. ET and RTCW are the only two games that show this ugliness. It is very distracting when you've moving around looking for enemies. It's even worse when you're getting shot, can hardly see anything with these graphical artefacts going on. It looks a lot better, but not completely fixed, at 333 fps..but that's not practical as often get comms issues and also recoil is ridiculous. I've always had this problem with ET on my current and previous machine, which are completely different brands of cpu and gpu. I've tried various mice, BIOS settings, OS optimizations etc etc. This is not a generic problem but instead an ET/RTCW problem. Vsync either in drivers or r_swapinteval 1 doesn't fix it, only adds mouse lag. The fps meter and lagometer are pretty steady. Anybody know a fix?
btw the NVidia profile is with threaded optimization off and in performance mode.

Last edited:

Zulu

Have you tried running your monitor at a lower refresh rate and seeing if that makes a difference?

Another idea - no real clue if this is even working anymore but give http://www.etlegacy.com/ a go.
I have since fixed it for the most part. It still happens a little bit but nowhere near as much. It shows up because of the interplay between fps and monitor refresh rate. Strangely enough a lot of combinations make it worse. I've settled on 144hz refresh and 142 fps.
What made it really pronounced like this is some driver lag, which also caused dropped frames (enemies popping up out of nowhere) eventhough fps was stable and high (125 or even 250).
Anyway, of all things, when i disabled CUDA in the nvidia 3d settings, it now plays like the quake engine it is, without weird delays.
I'm going to try forcing MSAA (antialiasing) and some other things now, to reduce that other visual distraction, the sudden jump from sharp to blurry textures at medium distance.
I'm pretty happy i've cracked this nut about that weird lag, as it also made keyboard and mouse not responsive as they should be and I couldn't improve my gameplay/skill any further. It used to be impossible to shoot someone head on when they came out of a room, even when expecting them. i'd get shot and then they'd be already in front of me.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I had same problem in et:legacy.

Zulu

Found some more fps by turning off hud. Now it's not that I need extra fps over and above 125 (or 250 for less tearing) but clearly a large fps gain says something about the performance of old style opengl on new hardware, e.g. it hiccups on it. On a timedemo I get about 200 fps extra with hud turned off. I've been playing with the hud turned off with a toggle /bind mouse4 "toggle cg_draw2d". I think it helps, although a bit odd playing without any visuals and chat. Played a few rounds with bots only to compare for accuracy and it's improved. Don't know if this is all due to reduced renderer latency or reduced visual clutter. Anyway, for those interested, give it a try.

Zulu

yes...but renderer 2 is not compiled in yet by default for windows, only for linux. atm couldn't be stuffed compiling it with renderer 2.