• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Jaymod

Ulti

its absolute rubbish... if you are moving forward with something like this Silent mod is the no brainer.

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Jaymod has recently gone open source is the reason, though yes silent does have that nice anti-cheat reputation going for it.

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
Silent hasn't had an update since 2015 but they might have some peeps working on it but from their forum posts very unsure on it even though as ferny said has a good anti cheat

Ulti

fair enough, all the jaymod servers i have tried seem really laggy and for some reason cant maintain a solid fps (with my 1080ti)
silent has always felt better (imo anyhow), but if you can get it accurate and stable it might be worth a look into
apparently silents anticheat (well on F|A servers anyway) wont let u join a team if your game client isnt pure or something

Rainbow

doesnt really matter, people are going to play on OZ anyway, its the last server aus players can get decent ping on

but if silent has a robust(ish) anticheat and forces pure client then please enable it, im legit getting a semi thinking about watching delusional regs frothing from the mouth when they cant "ehherhrehrrrrr x is hacking anyway"

god im hard just writing this

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Silent hasn't had an update since 2015 but they might have some peeps working on it but from their forum posts very unsure on it even though as ferny said has a good anti cheat
The creator appears to still be active on his forum, perhaps we should ask if anything else has been done.

Old Yella

There are other servers we ping low to, the appeal of this one is that it's fairly close to classic ET, not some silly mod with doublejump or poison-gas or a ton of useless sounds that just add to the objective-sound-lag ET has even now with modern setups.

You can't tailor to every map, map scripts interact with the mod (as the mod does with the engine), and often use hackery to get what the map author wanted, as opposed to actually co-operating with the mod. Instead of supplying the server (and possibly, client) code to get what they wanted and tying that map to only working with mods that adopt it, they've opted for something that would work on 2.x VM instead. xmas sniper is a good example of this - it opens up a security flaw that I'm not going to mention here.

Trigger Happy

The pure client thing we used to have in our code too, but we got rid of it because people complained. Too many instances where it would fail to load properly or something and you needed to restart ET from memory.

We could do more anticheat type stuff in our code, but given there are only a handful of players it's mostly the honour system now. At least if we do ban, it tends to be permanent...people haven't been too vocal if they have got around it.

Cheers
Trigger

.pengu

Would be great to have silent mod on OZ instead of etpub or whatever it is currently running. Jaymod would be a step back imho. Would love to see etpro, but I remember talking to fern about etpro and there were admin / server side reasons for why not. Anyway imagine how much more the squishy regs would complain when they get pwnt even more on etpro. Any chance we will see silent?

Reactions: Pug

phillgates2

Administrator
Staff member
Pengu at this stage might not as from some of the posts on their forums they have some bugs still mainly xpsave with a server reboot

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
Etpro can't do xpsave past campaign, so if its voting nothing is saved, but starting everyone at level 4 is an option I think the same applies to silent mod, so that's an option