• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Krudd v Joolya

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
So with Joolya calling a leadership spill last night, anyone brave enough to voice their predictions?

Will we be heading back to the voting booth sooner rather than later?

Discuss....

nelots

You dont go out on a limb and call a leadership spill unless you have the numbers baldy kent.
Kevin Dudd fails but he sure loves to derail everything when he is not in the spotlight where he can flick his hair(fyi baldy kent - hair is the furry thing that grows on peoples scalp).

Joke :D

I'm hoping, and betting, on Julia.

KRudd has the people's support, but the members of the ALP know him for the selfish, controlling, meglomaniac he is. Julia is the right man for the job, and "poor" Kevin's just having a tantrum because he can't get his way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trigger Happy

Both KRudd and JGill are pretty useless...But then I don't really want Abbott in either.
Bit of a Catch 22 on the leadership front lately.

Cheers

i0nwr1t3r

Julia Gillard already has the numbers & will send Kev back into obscurity & all the labour supporters will vote for anything at the next election to punish the party for deposing who the people wanted.

Meanwhile Tony Abbot will ride the wave of public discontent into office & demand the installation of Boatphone mark 2.0 & sit there vigorously monitoring it while Joe Hockey will be proven to have been a Used car Salesman dressed up as a Real Estate agent all along.

Julie Bishop will bust out the thousand yard stare that will do any sniper proud & Libs will declare with conviction & authority that the NBN is science fiction & that Australia should find a better way to spend all that money , ie. the Tony Abbot retirement fund! xD

Marge

Both KRudd and JGill are pretty useless...But then I don't really want Abbott in either.
Bit of a Catch 22 on the leadership front lately.

Cheers
I agree but i do belive that Rudd was an still would be a better Prime Minister than J.G an the way she kicked rudd out of P.M was disgusting an apolling..... vote 1 for rudd!!

-OZ-Marge.

Trigger Happy

Julia Gillard already has the numbers & will send Kev back into obscurity & all the labour supporters will vote for anything at the next election to punish the party for deposing who the people wanted.

Meanwhile Tony Abbot will ride the wave of public discontent into office & demand the installation of Boatphone mark 2.0 & sit there vigorously monitoring it while Joe Hockey will be proven to have been a Used car Salesman dressed up as a Real Estate agent all along.

Julie Bishop will bust out the thousand yard stare that will do any sniper proud & Libs will declare with conviction & authority that the NBN is science fiction & that Australia should find a better way to spend all that money , ie. the Tony Abbot retirement fund! xD
Bahaha gold!

Cheers

Gillard is the right person to be sitting in the PM chair, and the only reason Rudd wants to challenge is because he's got a sore rectal cavity after he was thrown out.

The good Gillard and Co. have done for this country is irrefutable. While yes it was a bit of a "backstab" when Gillard took over as PM, it was in the best interest of the party, as Rudd was soft on putting forward his policies, indecicive about the carbon tax, and in general a very difficult person to work with (to Rudd's benefit, his stimulus package response to the GFC did save australia from reccession, without doubt). But the media and the Oppositions take on this back-stabbing, as well as Gillard's own poor people skills, has made her unpopular to the average voter - and with that, I don't think Labor can win the next election with her in the hotseat if the media and Abbott continue the current beat up, but with Rudd's voter popularity, I think he can lead the party to victory in 2013.

With any luck, Rudd won't change any of the party's current policies IF he gets in.

Trigger Happy

Julia has been pretty crappy as a PM. She backflipped on things that actually got her into goverment and has made some ridiculous policies for no conceivable reason. Let's take a look at some of her most silly policies shall we?

Australia Firewall - she wants it. The government controlling access to the internet is not a good thing.
The Gambling/Pokies policy - "Hey guys I'm all for it.....oh wait, nah I'm PM now I don't think I'll bother" - Personally I don't care either way about the policy but the fact she backflipped doesn't sit well with me.
Same Sex Marriage - again backflipped on support and instead went with a conscious vote.
Carbon Tax - Absolutely no need for Australia to even consider something like this. It will drive the cost of things up purely because it will give companies an excuse to do so.

I used to think it would be good for labour to get in, but seeing what has unfolded makes me wonder what other crazy turns we will take.

Cheers

Julia has been pretty crappy as a PM. She backflipped on things that actually got her into goverment and has made some ridiculous policies for no conceivable reason. Let's take a look at some of her most silly policies shall we?

Australia Firewall - she wants it. The government controlling access to the internet is not a good thing.
The Gambling/Pokies policy - "Hey guys I'm all for it.....oh wait, nah I'm PM now I don't think I'll bother" - Personally I don't care either way about the policy but the fact she backflipped doesn't sit well with me.
Same Sex Marriage - again backflipped on support and instead went with a conscious vote.
Carbon Tax - Absolutely no need for Australia to even consider something like this. It will drive the cost of things up purely because it will give companies an excuse to do so.
Alright...

Gambling/Pokies Policiy - She was PM before Wilkie came to her with the idea of the pokies reform. Wilkie's pokie reform was a very extreme idea - yes, it was good, it made sense, but to roll out something so drastic, so quickly (2016) for something that hadn't been tested or proven? To lead Wilkie on like that, and to then say no, was a bit of a bitch move, but her watered down draft bill that the Govt. released a few days after she said no to Wilkie is alot more economically feesable and I believe is currently being tested in Victoria. (Correct if I'm wrong.) The 158 page draft bill can be found here

Same Sex Marriage - Gillard allowed for a concious vote because she new her party was divided on the issue. She's taking what her cabinet and what her backbenchers are saying into account - and isn't going gung-ho 'I'm PM what I say goes!" like Rudd had been. Heres an artical published 22/2/12 on the issue

Carbon Tax - The Carbon tax is a BEAUTIFUL thing. They're taking a small % of the profits that the mining and manufacturing giants are making every year, and injecting those funds directly into green-technology industry, with an estimated 40,000 jobs in that area to be created by 2020. The Treasury's modelling of the tax has shown that the cost of living with go up by a maximum of $9.90 a week, and there have been laws put in place to prevent companies from jacking up prices over a certain limit (2% I think?) simply because they can, using the carbon tax as an excuse. This $9.90 a week will be subsidised by the government @ $11.40 a week in tax cuts to families under $120,000, and singles under $50,000 - so in all must stuggling families will be better off than they were before the tax. You can see the latest treasury model here

Another great policiy in recent days is the new health care reforms. This is another landmark acheivement for the Labor government as its reformed a system from 15 years ago into something that is far more suited to todays economic climate - why give people who can afford eastern suburbs mansions and the latest mercedes benz E-class medicare rebates if they can afford to pay? the money the government is saving is going into funding many desperately needed healthcare centres, etc.

There are many things Labor has done that I do not agree with - I'm only this pro-government because of a) the good it has done for the country, and b) the alternatives are horrific.

Whats your stance on the NBN, Triggzy?

Bogan

Ah JOKE MATE IF YOU THINK WE ALL WILL BE BETTER OFF BY WITH A CARBON TAX , MWAHAHAHAHAHAAH IN YA DREAMS MATE EVERYTHING WILL GO UP , WATCH YA ELECTRICKERY BILL , MY GOD DO YOU THINK THE TAX WONT BE PASSED ON BY THE BIG FATCATS?THE GOVERNMENT WILL CARBON TAX YOU THEN GIVE YOU MORE BACK? MWAAHAHAHAHA DREAMING.

Trigger Happy

Alright...

Gambling/Pokies Policiy - She was PM before Wilkie came to her with the idea of the pokies reform. Wilkie's pokie reform was a very extreme idea - yes, it was good, it made sense, but to roll out something so drastic, so quickly (2016) for something that hadn't been tested or proven? To lead Wilkie on like that, and to then say no, was a bit of a bitch move, but her watered down draft bill that the Govt. released a few days after she said no to Wilkie is alot more economically feesable and I believe is currently being tested in Victoria. (Correct if I'm wrong.) The 158 page draft bill can be found here
My point was the fact that she backflipped, as I said in my post the issue itself didn't bother me all that much. It was her integrity that fell through here.
Same Sex Marriage - Gillard allowed for a concious vote because she new her party was divided on the issue. She's taking what her cabinet and what her backbenchers are saying into account - and isn't going gung-ho 'I'm PM what I say goes!" like Rudd had been. Heres an artical published 22/2/12 on the issue
Again my issue with this is that the party is backflipping on what it stood for before. Correct me if I am wrong, but the initial stance on same sex marriage in the labour party was them against it. So now when the issue comes up again, the issue is given a conscious vote. If you're going to be that wishy-washy on it, take it to the public and have a referendum.
Carbon Tax - The Carbon tax is a BEAUTIFUL thing. They're taking a small % of the profits that the mining and manufacturing giants are making every year, and injecting those funds directly into green-technology industry, with an estimated 40,000 jobs in that area to be created by 2020. The Treasury's modelling of the tax has shown that the cost of living with go up by a maximum of $9.90 a week, and there have been laws put in place to prevent companies from jacking up prices over a certain limit (2% I think?) simply because they can, using the carbon tax as an excuse. This $9.90 a week will be subsidised by the government @ $11.40 a week in tax cuts to families under $120,000, and singles under $50,000 - so in all must stuggling families will be better off than they were before the tax. You can see the latest treasury model here
I'll be happy if it does actually happen that way, truly I will be. However, I remain skeptical that this will happen the way they have planned. Take for example petrol right now. The government subsidies QLD petrol and therefore we should have the cheapest petrol, but somehow the companies still charge more...actually scrap that idea, look from day to day how the prices change. You tell me that given no excuses needed for them to hike those prices that the carbon tax won't allow them to say oh no we uh need to put this up more? We will see. Again for that 2% for other companies, if it happens then great, if not then I guess I get to say I told you so.

Excluding the carbon tax model itself, the idea that Australia needs to do this and that it will actually make any difference is silly. Have a look at what countries send out the most carbon emissions and then come and tell me that it is essential for Australia to bother. One could argue that it takes one to spark change, but again I am skeptical that this will happen and even if the world went green tomorrow, I'm pretty sure most of the damage is done.
Another great policiy in recent days is the new health care reforms. This is another landmark acheivement for the Labor government as its reformed a system from 15 years ago into something that is far more suited to todays economic climate - why give people who can afford eastern suburbs mansions and the latest mercedes benz E-class medicare rebates if they can afford to pay? the money the government is saving is going into funding many desperately needed healthcare centres, etc.
Honestly, I haven't followed the health care reforms although if I recall correctly, the reform was already underway under Rudd.
There are many things Labor has done that I do not agree with - I'm only this pro-government because of a) the good it has done for the country, and b) the alternatives are horrific.
And that is the beauty of politics :) Each to their own view. I'm not saying that everything is bad, I just personally don't trust Julia at all and considering we were in surplus the last time the Libs were in, it's starting to seem like labour probably wasn't the best choice. Since we can't see what the alternative is, I guess that point is moot, but sometimes you just have to wonder!
Whats your stance on the NBN, Triggzy?
Again not something that I have followed closely, but I do agree with the idea in general. If they can roll out fiber to everyone (or you know almost everyone) then that is definitely a good investment. Personally I see the internet as an infrastructure and personally I think it is always good to invest in infrastructure. What do you think of NBN?

Cheers

Fair points Trigger - Agree to disagree. I am being rather idealistic about the whole situation, but promoting potential is better than discarding it.

Hoenstly, I don't really have much to say on the NBN either - just that its a great idea, and can work if its given the time it needs to be implemented. Abbott vows to rip up the NBN - nuff sed.

Also, GG Joolya xo

nelots

So much derping, theres a big difference between backflipping and not having the numbers to pass the bills let along support from your own party.

The measures Wilkie had in mind for the pokie reform was way too drastic for any government whether they were majority or minority to undertake in such short a time frame.

Same-sex marriage, Gillard has always said that she did not believe in it but put it to a conscience vote due to popular demand from electorates.

Health reform, yes the general reform was from Rudd but he wasn't able to get an agreement from all States so it was pretty much all talk no action.
Few months after Gillard ousted Rudd, the pipeworks for Health reform was laid and Roxon basked in the limelight.

Carbon Tax, whether you believe in it or not its up to your own judgement but the general idea is more beneficial to the country than the alternative plant 20million trees.

The problem with Australian industry is that they dont innovate to improve production, major reforms such as the Carbon Tax will help it along. Steel works and other manufacturers are sitting on 60yr + old machinery, its no wonder why theyre incapable of competing with international suppliers.

Also all this crap about other countries not having a "Carbon tax" scheme in their economy is getting old. Do some research, theres plenty of places with Carbon Tax type schemes in place and theyre doing fine.

Even the major emitters of carbon emissions have placed trials or plans to implement a carbon tax type bill to their economy within the next 5yrs.

So should Australia roll out the carbon tax, YES its time after over 10yrs of mass debating on the issue.

keith

The rational, calm and measured political discussion here (with the exception of Blusky <3) is unAustralian.

Who are you all?