• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Led Zeppelin is not Heavy Metal!!!!

micky

Led Zeppelin is not heavy metal.

If you want to argue this here is your chance but against me youll just loose this.

they are way not heavy metal

Sunncaeks

In the '70s: yes.

Now: No.

/thread.

Lolz.

Poor Michael, he leaves when he finally gets him a reply. lols.

micky

How much Led Zeppelin have you actually listend to.

because wen you listen to all of it (which I have) you actually understand where im coming from.

and besides led zeppelin sounds nothing like heavy metal of its times

micky

lol ok ill be your heartbreaker because thats the way i rock'n'roll (incase you cant count or membs thats three songs in there) :D

You'll of then of course heard the staggering amount of Acoustic tracks in that case then.

Led Zeppelin 3 is heavily acoustic based especially round folk and blues.
There fourth album has two and a half Acoustic tracks.
Led Zeppelin one is Heavily influenced by blues and even page and the band will tell you this.
Led Zeppelin 2 is heavy yes for sure in the first side of the vinyl but eases of in the second but even so the drums are rock orientated not in a metal beat or pattern (god rest your soul bonham).
Houses of the holy is by far and the least likely to be metal. If you call that metal then then youd be classing some reggae as metal then for sure.
Physical Graffiti is an interesting album i call it brave experimentation and it works but im sorry the only thing close to metal is kashmir and well i still wouldnt call it metal.
Presence does have Achilles last stand and is good song but its border line metal its more of a fast paced heavy rock the Rythum Guitar id call metal prehaps so so far thats partiall one song. the rest is still not metal by any strech.
I have to confess i dont actually have In Through The Out Door YET its just that i havnt found it in shops yet.
Then Coda is astoudingly similar to modern rock (well atleast getting there) so could never sound anything like metal

the only songs that sound close to metal are Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Immigrant Song, Black Dog, Kashmir, Presence
Barring presence all the others are classics that everyone no matter ho musically challenged they are knows and they neva have
heard the rest of the songs espec the acoustic ones and the blues (influenced) of most of zep 1 and tea for one and since ive been loving you.
this is where the misleading into heavy metal comes into it cause they assume the rest of there songs are the same heavyness. THEY ARE SO NOT.
I thought the same and gotta big shock when i found they werent.
Just because a fraction of your music (like a really tiny fraction) sounds like it could be heavy metal does not make the genre of the band heavy metal.

Therefore i conclude (dunno why i feel like im writing an essay) that the band is blues influenced rock and/or acoustic folk and no where near metalic as other metal music and bands of their era and ours.

p.s. go make your self a tea for one before you start reading this and sit down and have a ramble on cause im giving no Quater in this (man i love putting in the song names) ;)

Inglourious Basterd

I agree with most of what you said... except for the parts where you say they are not heavy metal (you are getting close though) :)

Heavy metal would not exist without Led Zeppelin, and if it did, it would suck.
Led Zeppelin were more than just a band -- they were the perfect combination
of the most intense elements: passion, mystery and expertise.

It was the Image they Created as well as the Sound of Loud, Fast Guitar that Paved
the way for Metal & Heavy Metal. The Guitar Solo of Jimmy Page & Drums from John
Henry Bonham in Whole Lotta Love from Led Zep II just Started the True Sound &
Definition of Metal Music. Jimmy Page was in the Yardbirds a 1960's Rock Band
along with Eric "Slowhand" Clapton & Jeff Beck & If you ever Hear Their Song I
Ain't got You, You would Hear the Riff to Whole Lotta Love Played by Eric Clapton
gave Jimmy Page many New Ideas & Sounds, Chords in His Awesome Guitar Play. Led
Zep was Supposed to be called the New Yardbirds but according to some Sources
Keith Moon of the Who said the Band would go Off like a Led Balloon & Sink. But
Mr.Moon was Proven Very Wrong so the Name Led Zeppelin was Used & the Rest is
Rock History. Yes I would say Led Zep was the 1st Heavy Metal Band but they
didn't use the Power Chords like they do today. As it wasn't around back in 1969
as Acid Rock was around with some Metal Blended in.

Dude, I do know where you're coming from and there are also
hundreds of other forums debating this very same topic and
I cbf writing an essay so I could just copy n paste hundreds of other
pro ( Lep Zepp are Heavy metal )opinions I agree with untill the cows
come home lol ( I know im lazy ) :roll:

Unless you would like to agree to disagree and leave it at that
coz this could go on forever and I have better things to do like.. play
quitar, play ET, play pool, play the misses, play poker, play a drinking game, play the fool etc, etc.... :D

micky

LOL.

They were the combination of those elements. They were also the greatest combo of musicians of their time.
Page was the best guitarist of their time.
Plant was the best vocalist of their genre (watever it is) of their time.
Bonham was an amazing drummer and by far the best of their time
And John-paul Jones was an amazing bassist and instrumentalist of there time.
They were the best of the best and they never argued over their music.
Thats why they were so Brilliant.

And lets just say they certainly helped create the heavy metal sound but it was other artists that took the led zeppelin sound and transformed it.

I reckon led zeppelin should just have a seperate genre just for them.

And i think we more meeting in the middle of this argument

LED ZEPPELIN FOR LIFE

Antagonist

then why does Inglorious bastard keep sending me all these tells saying micky doesnt know what hes talking about and that his ears are small and oddly misshapen :eek: Dont take that mickey :p :p

Inglourious Basterd

Antagonist said:
then why does Inglorious bastard keep sending me all these tells saying micky doesnt know what hes talking about and that his ears are small and oddly misshapen :eek: Dont take that mickey :p :p
lmao! I'm never ever gonna ever trust you again you little sneaky slimy tell tale weasel :eek:

Lestat

Led Zeppelin is Hard Rock.I Said it once and say it again."heavy metal" as it is known today was not even "thought of" back then.So Quote your wiki's (misinformation) how bout you ask the band themselves as to what they classed themselves as?.

Inglourious Basterd

Lestat said:
Led Zeppelin is Hard Rock.I Said it once and say it again."heavy metal" as it is known today was not even "thought of" back then.So Quote your wiki's (misinformation) how bout you ask the band themselves as to what they classed themselves as?.
I totally disagree and always will......

Led Zeppelin are the 'Original Heavy Metal' band.

Basically, when they started back in 1969 {and released two albums *before* Black Sabbath could even release one}, they were much heavier than other bands of the time, and so deserved to be in that genre.

But over the years Heavy Metal has evolved into something *much* harder and heavier, and Led Zeppelin have been pushed back by younger listeners into the genre of 'Hard Rock' / 'Blues-Rock'.

Its a bit like that age old debate of what came first? the Chicken or the Egg.

You can say "nah, they aint heavy metal" till you're blue in the face, i'tll make no difference to the fact at all.

Have you seen this Led Zeppelin DVD?

http://www.stryder.de/jpg4/Heavy_Metal_Kids.jpg

Heavy Metal Kids
Earls Court 24 May 1975 complete
Earls Court 25 May 1975 Fragments
Label: Empress Valley # EVSDVD005-007, 3 DVD
Best Release, Outstanding Video Quality and Linear PCM Sound !
For the first Time complete Moby Dick (24th)
Sadly the 25th is missing a few songs included on the "Latter Visions"
An unaltered tape from the 25th (wich has not the EVSD-Logo) is circulating in the Trading Community - THX to Slumpy_UK
DVD 1 (24th): Intro/Rock and Roll/Sick Again/Over The Hills And Far Away/In My Time Of Dying/The Song Remains The Same/The Rain Song/Kashmir/No Quarter/Tangerine/Going To California/That's The Way/Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp
DVD 2 (24th): Trampled Underfoot/Moby Dick/Dazed And Confused/Stairway To Heaven/Whole Lotta Love/Black Dog
DVD 3 (25th): Intro/Rock And Roll/Sick Again/Over The Hills And Far Away/In My Time Of Dying/Song Remains The Same/The Rain Song/Kashmir

Or this one?

http://www.stryder.de/jpg4/1975-05-25-Unstoppable_Conquistador_DVD.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Unstoppable Metal Machine
Earls Court, London, May 25th 1975
Label: Toastad Condor Label
1 DVD (double layer), menu & Song separation, Complete Show
Setlist: Alan Freeman Introduction / Rock And Roll / Sick Again / Over The Hills And Far Away / In My Time Of Dying / The Song Remains The Same / The Rain Song / Kashmir / No Quarter / Tangerine / Going To California / That's The Way / Bron-Y-Aur Stomp / Trampled Underfoot / Moby Dick / Dazed And Confused / Stairway To Heaven / Whole Lotta Love / Black Dog / Heartbreaker / Communication Breakdown

Lestat

Led are NOT HEAVY METAL.can you get it through your ever so thick skull? My uncles that predate you and have followed zep will even say the same,They are a HARD ROCK band.and i dont care what wiki or some superficial BS internet source you wish to "quote" LED ZEPPELIN have been and alway's will be the pioneers of wait ... Get this .. "HARD ROCK" .. Guitarists are often asked to play "Stairway to heaven" hardly heavy?????? (depends on the ear i guess?) and my god if Zep is Heavy metal?? then what is def leopard? speed metal?

Inglourious Basterd

Led Zeppelin are HEAVY METAL. can you get it through your ever so thick skull? My uncle that predates your uncles and have followed zep will even say the same,They are a HEAVY METAL band.and i dont care what you, or anyone else says. LED ZEPPELIN have been and alway's will be the pioneers of wait ... Get this .. "HEAVY METAL" .. Guitarists (like me) are often asked to play "Whole Lotta Love"...HEAVY METAL you ignorant piece of sh.it. FOAD.

Sunncaeks

'Heavy Metal' like Priest, Sabbath and Maiden have always been called heavy metal and 'heavier' metal styles are known by subgenres and are not called 'heavy metal'

Yeah well my uncles are cooler than your uncles as one would have been Norman Kirk if he didn't die, and my current uncle played with Ray Columbus and the Invaders, has a gold record and all that shit, and he told me they were Classic/Hard Rock.

And with that;

/thread.

micky

Led Zeppelin Arent heavy metal. They did inspire it though your right there, doesn't make them heavy metal.
How a band is defined into a genre is done by popular opinion. Fair enough.
IN that case What you think of the music makes it that genre for you. sucks that you judging the genre on so little of there songs.

Also itunes calls Led Zeppelin ROCK but then again this is itunes.

Also the Band Members themselves never considerd themselves heavy metalists. Its awfully insulting to call there music heavy metal if they thought it was
something else