• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Max fps and maxpackets

fishtank

Hi all

Im wondering if anyone here can help me finetune this area of my config.

My ping from over here in NZ hovers around 100 - 110. My comp runs ET between 70 and 90 fps as i have not changed anything in the config. Ive just heard snippets from a few of you while playing that i might be able to optimise these settings and get a slight reduction in lag? Most of you guys have pings half of what i have. Any info here would be much appreciated.

Cheers
[NZ]=Virilio=

SkankyMoe

Heya, We we have plenty of NZ players on the server, most of them maintain an average ping between 70 and 100 pending their ISP.

As for Max FPS & Packets, You should get FPS lagg the CVAR restrictions are as follows, I would suggest you try the following.

FPS = 76 / 90 or 125

Packets Min 30 / Max 100

Snaps = 20

Also ask on server who's from NZ, perhaps PM them and chat to them about what settings they are using or if they can share tips and info.

Cheers :cool:

fishtank

thanks bro!

will try that out. ive always just played with a stock config so its new for me to tool around with it. quite interested to see what happens. is there anyway to reduce the shake that happens when you get hit? or recoil from weapons?

Antagonist

short of removing blood splatter and blood flash (those gay things that happen when you get shot) there is not much u can do for that.. just google etconfigs there is millions around

fishtank

lol @phatbass

it was just a question

lol

and yeah ive removed blood splatter and such. thanks those of you that take enquiries seriously

Antagonist

2 ez
then basically all u can do is stabilize your game.. make sure your maxpackets is lower or equal to your monitor refresh rate.. anything more then 76 is really a waste, snaps to 20, rate to 25000.

things like drawgun and stuff are good to turn off as well.. i have drawgun off for just my weapon bank 2 and 3 so i can smg easier but still see the needle or nade if its out..

then you have little scripts u can add to help you improve.
---Sprint + Fire---
set attackon "+attack; +sprint"
set attackoff "-attack; -sprint"
bind MOUSE1 "+vstr attackon attackoff"

this will let you sprint and fire (duh) at the same time, saves you from holding down shift all the time.. an ensures your making it as hard for your opponent to hit you as possible

fishtank

awesome thanks antagonist!

so this:

set attackon "+attack; +sprint"
set attackoff "-attack; -sprint"
bind MOUSE1 "+vstr attackon attackoff"

i can just run through the ingame console? and will make me sprint while firing? thats cool. never was that good at grabbing shift while in a fire fight. gonna have a play with this stuff when i get some time. pretty swamped with work at the mo, but hope to get back on -oz- server in a few days.

Joke :D

//Shoot Script
set shooton "+sprint; +attack; seta sensitivity 2.0; set vstr shootoff"
set shootoff "-sprint; -attack; seta sensitivity 3.5; set vstr shooton"
bind MOUSE1 "+vstr shooton shootoff

^^ i have that in my cfg, but it does take a while to get used to.

@ulti for your drawgun on/off, do you say "Bind 3 "weaponback 3; cg_drawgun 0" ?

blusky

bind 1 "weaponbank 1;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 2 "weaponbank 2;cg_drawgun 0"
bind 3 "weaponbank 3;cg_drawgun 0"
bind 4 "weaponbank 4;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 5 "weaponbank 5;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 6 "weaponbank 6;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 7 "weaponbank 7;cg_drawgun 1"

^^^ what most people would do.

I prefer drawgun on.

nelots

Joke =D said:
@ulti for your drawgun on/off, do you say "Bind 3 "weaponback 3; cg_drawgun 0" ?
Its:
Bind 3 "weaponbank 3; cg_drawgun 0; m_pitch 0.0151; maxpackets 69"
for pure WIN!

Antagonist

-OZ-blusky said:
bind 1 "weaponbank 1;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 2 "weaponbank 2;cg_drawgun 0"
bind 3 "weaponbank 3;cg_drawgun 0"
bind 4 "weaponbank 4;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 5 "weaponbank 5;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 6 "weaponbank 6;cg_drawgun 1"
bind 7 "weaponbank 7;cg_drawgun 1"

^^^ what most people would do.

I prefer drawgun on.
@joke - Exactly like this bro :p

and here is another one of my leet script
---Awesome straife---
forward_restore "echo"
turn_forward_on "+forward"
turn_forward_off "-forward"
forward_on "vstr turn_forward_on; set forward_restore +forward"
forward_off "vstr turn_forward_off; set forward_restore echo"

back_restore "echo"
turn_back_on "+back"
turn_back_off "-back"
back_on "vstr turn_back_on; set back_restore +back"
back_off "vstr turn_back_off; set back_restore echo"

right_restore "echo"
turn_right_on "+moveright"
turn_right_off "-moveright"
right_on "vstr turn_right_on; set right_restore +moveright"
right_off "vstr turn_right_off; set right_restore echo"

left_restore "echo"
turn_left_on "+moveleft"
turn_left_off "-moveleft"
left_on "vstr turn_left_on; set left_restore +moveleft"
left_off "vstr turn_left_off; set left_restore echo"

bind +vstr forward_on forward_off
bind +vstr back_on back_off
bind +vstr left_on left_off
bind +vstr right_on right_off

not sure if it actually works but from what ive been told...... this is very kool

Death_Reincarnated

Here are few other things from me...

-cg_wolfparticles 0 (removes explosions and such)
-cg_coronas 0 (removes glowing around lights)
-cg_noAmmoAutoSwitch 1 (if you are out of ammo you switch weapons automatically)
-cg_marktime 0 (removes mark time of bullet holes and such)
-r_drawSun 0 (who ever bothers looking at the sun in an FPS game?)
-r_fastsky 1 (like with the sun...who bothers looking at the clouds)
-cg_autoReload 1 (automatically reloads your gun)

Death_Reincarnated

Antagonist said:
autoswitch and autoreload is bad.. dont add this to any config ever.
And why is that...because you said so? I can say dont listen to 'antagonist' cos he is <insert some reason>. At least if you are going to disagree have the courtesy of explaining it.
I only see positive things with autoswitch and autoreload...the main one being that it saves you time in not needing to press buttons to switch between your guns or reload magazine.
I can also say that your script for autorun+shoot is bad because there are situations where you do not want to speed-strafe while shooting and it will decrease accuracy considerably, OR if you need to sprint to a location you will end up with an empty magazine...but it saves you holding down one key extra. I see both positive and negative impacts of your script but at least I can supply reasons to it...not just saying 'dont add it because I said so'.

No wonder Frog (or who ever said that) owns you at mid/longer range smg fights...makes it hard for you to hit the target with your jolts of speed while strafing (assuming you shoot bursts of bullets and no hold down the fire button).

I didn't add the 'mouseaccel 0' to that list in my previous post because there are people who play with windows mouse acceleration but also others who dont, so it is personal preference and if fishtank is interested then there is a thread on this.

keith

Death_Reincarnated said:
Antagonist said:
autoswitch and autoreload is bad.. dont add this to any config ever.
And why is that...because you said so? I can say dont listen to 'antagonist' cos he is <insert some reason>. At least if you are going to disagree have the courtesy of explaining it.
I only see positive things with autoswitch and autoreload...the main one being that it saves you time in not needing to press buttons to switch between your guns or reload magazine.
It's common knowledge, to be honest.

Autoreload is disadvantageous as it leaves you exposed in a fire-fight whilst reloading. It's standard practice to switch to pistol on the depletion of a magazine, something which autoreload makes difficult, or at least discourages.

Messenjah

Keith beat me to the obvious.
But then I found this little gem
OR if you need to sprint to a location you will end up with an empty magazine...but it saves you holding down one key extra.
Ah you serious death? :\

nelots

Messenjah said:
Keith beat me to the obvious.
But then I found this little gem
OR if you need to sprint to a location you will end up with an empty magazine...but it saves you holding down one key extra.
Ah you serious death? :\

I was in the process of posting then you two bastards beat me to it :(
Anyway I guess death doesn't know that you can bind two keys to a command and just press shift to sprint.