• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Needing a new laptop

Joke :D

My Inspiron 1525 is starting to die, and after my brother and sister wrestling and then falling on top of it, and snapping the screen off, so it is only held on by the wires that connect to the screen (yes it still works), i'm convincing my rents to buy a new laptop.

I don't want to go Dell again, so if anyone knowledgable knows some good brands or specific laptops and could help, that would be great.

My budget is about $1200

phatbass

looked at that asus when a m8 bought his samsung, i have a hp dv6 joke they are pretty solid and i'm normally an asus fanboi

p.s train the 1 on the right is a rip off alienware anyway rofl

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
phatbass said:
looked at that asus when a m8 bought his samsung, i have a hp dv6 joke they are pretty solid and i'm normally an asus fanboi

p.s train the 1 on the right is a rip off alienware anyway rofl
Those alienware lappy's are so big, I could barely lift it. For every day use, especially if your moving it around, (normally I don't care about weight), but I swear a gram heavier and it could have dislocated my arm just by carrying it.

olliesparks1111

tbh for laptops id say ASUS is more affordable compared to alienware

and for desktop computers dont buy prebuilt :D make it yourself. thats what im doing

The Admiral

HP dv6 are nice. As is the N61JQ that nelots linked you to. You might like the HP Envy 14, which is less powerful, but heaps nicer.

Dell XPS 15 is good price/performance in your budget range. Be sure to buy online and use a 10% discount code from somewhere.

Check in physical stores for prices though. Sandy Bridge comes out like, Friday or something? And that should cause a plummet in price of existing Arrandale models.

phatbass

RULE 1 IN LAPTOPS DO NOT BUY A DELL simple as that seriously dell are for servers and useless crap not gaming, but anyway hp have some nice and powerful laptops so does asus but what it comes down to in the end is funcionality of hotkeys and so on so look around and get what feels right to you

i0nwr1t3r

The Admiral said:
nelots said:
Asus post sale support > HP
U DO DA MAFFS!
HP apparently has the worst post sale support of almost all the laptop manufacturers.
I can actually contradict that statement , called with a Compaq (HP) Laptop to for repair & they had a laptop repair shop I could put it into within 2 days ,
took about 1 week to get it back.
Was very fast , maybe I was lucky?

nelots

i0nwr1t3r said:
I can actually contradict that statement , called with a Compaq (HP) Laptop to for repair & they had a laptop repair shop I could put it into within 2 days ,
took about 1 week to get it back.
Was very fast , maybe I was lucky?
Well, 6 months after I purchased one of my Asus notebooks, a few of the buttons were stuck and the touchpad stopped working.
Called support, they asked me if I could drop it at one of their service centres, I replied no and they arranged for a courier to pick up the next day, repaired and returned within 4 days at their cost.

Another time I was in Asia, laptop chucked the fritz, called global support and had a replacement within 1 week, both cases were on basic consumer 2 year warranty that is standard with every purchase.

Asus post sale support > HP