• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

New comp specs

Frogma

If you are going to water cool you should definately check out the SID8875G-series. You can overclock that bad boy to the rice and still have megahertz to cook an egg in 20 seconds. Make sure you re-rout your GFX card through your mainframe or you risk putting your whole system on trial.

If you have $500 canadian dollars to spare you should purchase a johnson rod to sift through the electricity input and filter out all the "dirty" electricty. It's a bit of a luxury, but if you use really advanced industry standard tools like Windows Media Player you are going to need it - i made that mistake once myself.

Finally, make sure you never ever run a GTX470 and a SLI in the same machine. It turns out one was made on the east side and one was made on the west side, so only put them next to each other if you want your internet to get capped with a 9mm shot of megawatts.

superMINGE

Frogma said:
If you are going to water cool you should definately check out the SID8875G-series. You can overclock that bad boy to the rice and still have megahertz to cook an egg in 20 seconds. Make sure you re-rout your GFX card through your mainframe or you risk putting your whole system on trial.

If you have $500 canadian dollars to spare you should purchase a johnson rod to sift through the electricity input and filter out all the "dirty" electricty. It's a bit of a luxury, but if you use really advanced industry standard tools like Windows Media Player you are going to need it - i made that mistake once myself.

Finally, make sure you never ever run a GTX470 and a SLI in the same machine. It turns out one was made on the east side and one was made on the west side, so only put them next to each other if you want your internet to get capped with a 9mm shot of megawatts.

I lol'd :lol: :lol:

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frogma said:

Ah frog, welcome back!

Its comments like this that make me troll these forums. :lol:

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not up to the usual standard though froggie - you gotta work on the posts a bit more - nothing flaming or defamatory there!!

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (draws breath) bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LOVE IT

nelots

This thread is hideously off-topic....... so ready the locks!!!

P.S - I was driving this morning and R.I.P frog :(

Meanwhile in today's finance news BUY MONKEY STOCKS!!

Bogan

IF that is a cane toad, i bet ya a lot of New south welshmen love that pic of a crushed cane toad on the road,pity they cant crush them on a rugby ground! Cheers Bogan

Sisibouri

if your after a serious game machine check the one out attached :-) will set you back nearly 5k (as quoted from scorptec) but if shop around will get that price down
two cards in sli are great but are only of use when the game supports sli (et does not) most new games should
radion, nvidea matter of preference both make great cards, much on par now performance wise
amd, intel only use intel for office computers that take 5 mins to open emails and crash constantly, hang and just in general crap (lol personnel opinion)

the case in the attached build is ugly but extremely good case for cooling (although expensive)

oh and by the way, hi all!! :lol:

Attachments

Sisibouri

-OZ-Joke =D said:
^^I could buy a decent computer just for the price of that gfx card..
that is 2 in crossfire, $685each doesn't give you much to spend lol

i have no idea what ya budget is so this was just cause was bored and thought i would do a bit of digging for my own interest as well (my pc gettin bit outdated its 18month old now)

alternative with hdd's go with a ssd for op system, games,media/editing software etc and have a 1tb caviar black for storage

superMINGE

-OZ-Joke =D said:
^^I could buy a decent computer just for the price of that gfx card..
But you'd never be truly satisfied... :p

Updated list!

Antec 1200 case
Corsair 1000HX 1000W psu
Rampage III Extreme
Intel i7 930
Asus HD5870 1GB DDR5 850/4800 (two of these bad boys)
6GB Corsair Dominator triple channel DDR3 7-8-7-20 RAM
VelociRaptor 300GB HDD
1TB SATA3 additional
Cooler Master v8 CPU cooler
Samsung BluRay player
Samsung XL2370 LED Monitor

Sisibouri

-OZ-superMINGE said:
[quote="-OZ-Joke =D":26boiy9b]^^I could buy a decent computer just for the price of that gfx card..
But you'd never be truly satisfied... :p

Updated list!

Antec 1200 case
Corsair 1000HX 1000W psu
Rampage III Extreme
Intel i7 930 (i would never go intel again, bench tests show this as being quite a fast cpu though, so it should still be ok)
Asus HD5870 1GB DDR5 850/4800 (two of these bad boys)
6GB Corsair Dominator triple channel DDR3 7-8-7-20 RAM (1600mhz and above otherwise ddr2 outperforms)
VelociRaptor 300GB HDD
1TB SATA3 additional (go the caviar black)
Cooler Master v8 CPU cooler
Samsung BluRay player
Samsung XL2370 LED Monitor (you do realize this is not a "led" merely a led back lit lcd instead of flouro? either way a good monitor though)[/quote:26boiy9b]

you would be looking at around 4k for this system, so hope that mattress is lumpy :-) would definitely be a pisser of a system

superMINGE

What's everyones thoughts on a basic water cooling system like the Corsair H50 series? Is it better than air cooling or is the only upside the quietness of it?

I don't want to spend big bucks on water cooling yet, but still want to get the i7 930 OCed to at least 4.2ghz. Will air cooling be enough? if not, will a simple, ready to use water cooling setup like the H50 be sufficient? Or will it need a hardcode water cooling set up to get those speeds...

Cheers,

Minge

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
-OZ-superMINGE said:
What's everyones thoughts on a basic water cooling system like the Corsair H50 series? Is it better than air cooling or is the only upside the quietness of it?
Water cooling is massively more efficient at cooling your CPU than air when done right. The major upside is you can overclock out the whazoo and not worry about frying your cpu.

As for specific models, don't know.

nelots

With Water Cooling go hard or go home, the H50 with your desired OC will hold the temps at around 95-110 degrees on full load and about 75-80 degrees on idle.
The problem with the H50 is the the pump and miniature radiators so source a better system or add-on new pump + radiator or better yet find a cooling tower.
Also just like thermal paste, the right coolant water will have a 5 degree temp difference.

Baker Street

ET Moderator
Planning on buying the following:

Case: Obsidian 800d
Mobo: Asus Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel i7 930
GPU: Geforce GTX470
PSU: 1000w Antec Quattro
RAM: 6gb DDR3 Triple Channel Corsair 7-8-7-20
HDD: 1TB WD SATA-III 64mb 7200rpm
Drive: Samsung BluRay/DVD-RW+
Monitor: Samsung XL2370
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V8

What do ya reckon? Only one I'm not too sure on is the CPU Cooler. It is really only a placeholder until I suss out watercooling.
Just idly saw this post from 2010 and thought how times change. I just updated my old clunker (now off to recycle heaven) with this -

Case: Pryon Tempered Glass Gaming 12 function LED
Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
GPU: Nvidia GTX1080 8GB
PSU: Corsair 750W HXi 80+ Platinum
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB
HDD: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM006 BARRACUDA
SSD: 500GB Samsung MZ-76E500BW
Cooling: 5 system fans
Network adapters: Realtek PCIe ethernet, Bluetooth, Intel Dual band Wireless

And probably for around the same price.

(...and it was sooo worth reviving this thread just to read frogma's gem :D)

Last edited: