• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

New Wolfenstein

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Its been a longing process for the game and its almost out heres a trailer if you haven't see in it yet

[youtube:2u7s3lfq]Ey8g56I7yM8[/youtube:2u7s3lfq]

What's this? A new Wolfenstein game? Yeah, apparently I didn't get the memo. Activision brought the game, simply titled Wolfenstein, along to their press event in NYC last night and showed off the latest build.

I was a bit disappointed to find out this was not a hands-on preview. An Activision rep played through the first couple levels of the game for a group of us, showing off some of the new abilities and weapons.

The story is a bit convoluted. It takes place in a fictional German city called Isenstadt. Even the rep on hand had some trouble explaining it to me, but it involves ancient amulets and crystals. But I know you don't care about that stuff. You just want to shoot Nazis, right?

One of the biggest included abilities is the "Veil" feature, which enables you to enter into this "otherworld." When using it, the entire environment turns a darkish blue and grants you new, special powers. The ability opens up new hidden passageways, bullet time, and even highlights weak points found on the stronger enemies. It's not unlike the feral ability found in Far Cry Instincts. Basically, it makes the game way easier than it should.

Also, NPC's play a big part of this version. They're there mainly to add more storytelling elements, like something found in Half-Life. The demo was mainly focused on combat, so I was unable to find out how similar this was.

Graphically the game looks pretty good. Although, after seeing the war zone atmosphere found in Killzone 2, this doesn't come close. There was a surprising amount of destructible environments; mostly the cover (such as tables and wooden structures) so it seems you may have difficulty hiding.

I didn't see too many new weapons, but I did see one called the Particle Cannon, which zaps enemies to ashes immediately. You can bring down groups of Nazis in the blink of an eye.

We were shown one mid-boss sequence where this super Nazi soldier wearing steel armor that shoots laser beams chases you. Using the "veil" power revealed his two weak points and he was brought down rather easily.

I honestly had no idea this game was being made two days ago. I must have missed the E3 announcement last year.

The game has no official release yet, but I would look out for it this year for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

kataku.com

Messenjah

I'm looking forward to this.

It's not being built for 360 then ported to PC, which was the first thing I was afraid of.
Spawns are same as ET/RTCW apparently - prepare to be camped oz peeps! :p

http://www.wolfenstein-zone.com are going to have a Q and A with sokal (from id software) soon =]

Also take note, all the 'trailers' are single player footage. No Multiplayer footage has been released yet

superMINGE

go to gametrailers.com for more trailers. Game looks epic but the graphics look to be a huge let down, after seeing games like CoD4, crysis, farcry and the coming modern infantrry 2, this games looks to pale in comparison.
Hopefully the multiplayer is good though, and oz can get in there early and dominate :p

Messenjah

This is just my opinion - in first person shooters I don't look for best graphics possible they slow most computers down.
The graphics look at least on par with CoD4

superMINGE

I guess everyone has a different way of looking at it :shock: lol
I like great graphics when it comes to playing the AI and doing game scenarios, but then decrease graphics and res when playing online to help out lag a bit.

JoKeR

if u search the new wolfenstein on google it comes with like a 10 minute demo where some dude plays for a while. It seems alot slower than et alothough im sure with mods and stuff the multiplayer will be made better. Realistically this is the game that will keep the wolfenstein franchise alive, im not being pessimistic but be prepared for et to die soon oz. Just make sure your there with a new server in the new wolfenstein!

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
I reckon its on the verge of looking a bit like fear with its physics. Idk teh demos look fast paced but yeah when I see the guy playing it it looks a little slow g_speed here we come.

Joke :D

i looks kinda like medal of honour with zombies.
dus Wolfenstien and good graphics go together? the designers may have gone with graphics instead of gameplay this time round. or so im told

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Anyone sure about game play. Will it be like cod4 with like most kills or will it still contain objectives with classes which I personally like, gives a greater diversity tot eh game rather then just skillz with killz.

Messenjah

There will be classes - medic, engineer and forgot the other one =\
And you can sprint + shoot.
And yeah its still complete the objective style maps (pretty sure I read that too)

Death_Reincarnated

The gamespeed and story of RtCW is what got me hooked to the single player mode. When ET came out and had the similar speed, feel and gameplay this is what further hooked me into playing it. Slower gamespeed killed ET:QW (you cant deny it!!!) plus it didnt have that same gameplay feel that ET did.

I am hoping the gamespeed will be as fast as it was in RtCW and RtCW:ET, plus the team work. I wonder how this 'vail' will work in multiplayer though.

kabal

Death_Reincarnated said:
The gamespeed and story of RtCW is what got me hooked to the single player mode. When ET came out and had the similar speed, feel and gameplay this is what further hooked me into playing it. Slower gamespeed killed ET:QW (you cant deny it!!!) plus it didnt have that same gameplay feel that ET did.

I am hoping the gamespeed will be as fast as it was in RtCW and RtCW:ET, plus the team work. I wonder how this 'vail' will work in multiplayer though.
QW fell over and failed hard !! glad i didn't buy it and just "borrowed my mates key" and the 1gb+ updates ... sheez i wonder if i go back n play now if there is a 10gb update waiting for me !?!

The Admiral

It'll be pretty similar to RTCW and ET multiplayer. Objectives etc. There are rumours somewhere that there'll be paranormal monster things on rampage in some maps, and that there will be a death match-like mode (probably the same as LMS).

Gameplay wise, they aren't looking at making any massive changes from ET or RTCW1. A new class here or there, but they aren't killing off engy and turning it into 'you go a class for a gun' or anything.

QW failed because ET fans wanted something like ET, not like BF2142. That said, vehicles are always fun.

Game was originally going to be released Q3 08. It fell way behind schedule, which is unusual considering there have been so many demos out for so long.

More info: http://evilrtcw2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46
Screenies: http://evilrtcw2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9578