• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

pc finally fixed

Bandido

ET Moderator
Prob not going to phrase this correctly but anyway. Where I purchased my pc from they had not raided my ssd's together(they told me they couldn't do it), I had windows(2 operating systems) installed on each ssd and my default directory was not set to my 1tb hhd so the ssd just filled up and slowed the pc down. They wouldn't give me the product key for windows so the new shop could reinstall windows saying it was their shop one and I'd have to bring my pc into them(is that even legal), but the new techs where able to take all my info, including windows, off the ssd, raid them and reinstall it. Now two years later I have my pc running pretty well, it does freeze a bit but I'm relatively happy so far.

They wouldn't give me the product key for windows so the new shop could reinstall windows saying it was their shop one and I'd have to bring my pc into them(is that even legal)?
It sure sounds dodgy. Did you buy the pc from them? Did you receive an itemised list of what you paid for? Was a copy of Windows included?

I would think the answer to all those questions is no. If you ever pay for a copy of Windows make sure you get a COA (the little sticker that makes your copy legal, and defines the license terms of your use of Windows. For example, how many machines it may be installed on) stuck to the box or laptop, somewhere. Then you will have your key, right there in front of you.

Alternatively, use Belarc Adviser to find your installed Operating System key, and the keys for all installed softwares. Not a bad idea to keep this info handy elsewhere off the computer, in case the hard drive dies and needs a reinstall.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Oh btw, congrats on getting your pc running again

Bandido

ET Moderator
Well its back in the shop. Guy said it rates at 5.9 and should be about 7.2 what ever that means,so he's going to run some sort of scan that runs all day and night to sus everything out. He may just disconnect the ssd's or the raid could be failing. Yes i0n firmware all up to date. I'm getting to the end of my tether on this, if there's not a marked improvement this time, its the scrap heap.
BTW Jowl using SSD's and a HHD, operating system on SSD.

Pepsi

Did they Clone your HDD? If so did they run a repair install after they cloned the HDD?? This would reset the drives database to make sure that the new cloned HDD would work properly.

Just that you mentioned this :

Bandido said :
Now two years later I have my pc running pretty well, it does freeze a bit but I'm relatively happy so far.
Seems like it could do the trick? All you need to do is ask the guys at the shop to run a repair to see if the performance improves.

Peps.

Bandido

ET Moderator
Not sure Pepsi, but one thing it always does is when watching you tube the picture will freeze but the audio keeps playing even tho it has loaded up way past this point.

Pepsi

Hmm sounds like a graphics driver issue? What kind of graphics card ( GPU ) do you have? Although I did just fix a PC that had Active X turned off and Java also turned off. Once these were enabled everything worked. But this problem was due to a Windows Update. lol

Bandido

ET Moderator
ATI HD4890 vid card, Phenom 955 CPU

The rig was actually built by another shop, first the ssd's played up and they repaired them after sending them around the world twice. Then they died again and they replaced them but couldn't raid them, so it was all being done under warranty but now I've got it elsewhere so its costing, getting fed up with it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

nelots

Not sure Pepsi, but one thing it always does is when watching you tube the picture will freeze but the audio keeps playing even tho it has loaded up way past this point.
Hmm have you considered you may be going blind?
Just super saiyan

Sincerely Over 9000

Pepsi

Maybe an idea to check out the AMD site for driver problems or solutions.

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.36.3.6&contentType=KB+Article&ostype=&keywords=&items=20

Here it may tell you your problem with freezing? Also this card says that the PSU must be no lower than 500 w. I hope that they built this system with at least a 750 w PSU?

If your not sure about what amount of watts you use you can use this tool.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Just enter all your PC parts and then calculate. It will give you a PSU score. :)

Bandido

ET Moderator
Corsair 950w power supply mate

I wont do anything till I get it back from the shop and see how it goes.

STFU wmp I'm blind in one eye

Last edited by a moderator:

i0nwr1t3r

Get the video card from Abs computer & swap it out to test it , if problem repeats , it won't be gpu (graphics card) , you may need to roll back your drivers to install his gpu into your machine , hit me up in TS if you need any help.

Bandido

ET Moderator
Apparently the ssd's shouldn't have been raided, now they cant turn on the AHCI (advanced host controller interface). So just gunna piss them off an get a new one which should be in today.

G-Train

fk ahci, im forever fixing that shit at work. If you get a BSOD at Windows splash screen, i guarentee its that little bitch ahci. Dont forget to TRIM them if they are compatible.