• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

speed test results ADSL2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joke :D

Yo, i just need something to test against for this.

I get bad lag on the server, all of which i tihnk is hardware related, but this test has got me thinking ots more connection related.

im on telstra ADSL2, and i tihnk these are really poor results for what im on (btw, wireless with 100MB/s rate)

currently running a scan on my computer, so hopefully something'll pop up that can be squashed and it'll help.

is this normal? any suggestions on how to fix (that do not require switching isp)

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
That is perfectly fine it seems you have a adsl2 plan of 1500kbps/128kbps

That is perfectly fine to play ET when you equate that you get max theoretical download speeds of 187.5 kb/s DOWN STREAM and 15kb/s UP STREAM

Et requires as little as MAX 3KB/s UP and 12KB/s DOWN. That is just about the max I have ever noticed ET reach. On average ET uses 7kb/s down and 2kb/s UP :)

If it is PB pherhaps there is a large amount of packet loss as well, so to prevent this can you try this command in console /cl_packetdup 1

Kind Regards, BR

Joke :D

ok, shall do.

Also, i went into the cmd console thingy, and did "ping 202.60.82.196" and it said 4 packets up, 4 packets down, no packet loss. Does this echo what actually happens in ET?

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Joke =D said:
ok, shall do.

Also, i went into the cmd console thingy, and did "ping 202.60.82.196" and it said 4 packets up, 4 packets down, no packet loss. Does this echo what actually happens in ET?
Not quite... Pinging isn't quite the same of how ET communicates with the server, although it takes the same path a ping test would so its pretty accurate in that case.

With some recent insight and research into PB the dev team has been doing we have found that PB accesses ET locally on your comp and then the ET application sends out whatever is needed. IT is now thoerised with some of the tests we have been conducting that due to either packet loss.. or corrupt data flow between the applications or another firewall program blocking access to it that it may be causing the ET application to lag, that would also explain why when ur getting "pbh lag" the pb services are using a lot more mem usage with data problems or internal errors even.

I am not entirely sure yet but this is just being confirmed further the more tests we conduct.

Please try /cl_packetdup anyway into ET and let me know how it goes.

Cheers, BR

i0nwr1t3r

Joke,I'm on ADSL 2+ on telstra telephony through netspace as ISP but it is a premium package.
Everything is LAN from modem/router (not ISP issue,bought my own).

i0n

nelots

Joke =D said:
Yo, i just need something to test against for this.

I get bad lag on the server, all of which i tihnk is hardware related, but this test has got me thinking ots more connection related.

im on telstra ADSL2, and i tihnk these are really poor results for what im on (btw, wireless with 100MB/s rate)

currently running a scan on my computer, so hopefully something'll pop up that can be squashed and it'll help.

is this normal? any suggestions on how to fix (that do not require switching isp)
Your ping is fine so its more likely your wireless is crap. Did you set QOS?
Plus with these speednet test sites you'll need to try it a couple of times at different times of the day to get a proper reading.
Your crap rate maybe due to congestion(even at 10.40am on a sunday morning).

G

It's just Telstra , they suck with gaming ping's!
my ingame ping is roughly 100.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Kit I think your ping is mainly due to you location.. Being in NZ. The ping on average from NZ to AUS seems to be 80-120 for a good solid connection.

Cheers, BR

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Oh, ever so sorry, I don't know why I assumed both of you were in NZ... Truly.. Anyway, try lowering your packets cl_maxpackets 30, you will see a lower ping, but I have a feeling that its just routing to the server from WA still. :(

Cheers, BR

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Frogma... I can't tell if that is serious or not... but if it is... its like your on the slowest ADSL plan or something. 6kb/s UP stream... possibilty of big lag esspeically if your running any other apps that are using up net resource upstream.

Lestat

hahah your netz all SUCK.

apart from Phat (when he had cable and death's work my net is the BEST around)

olliesparks1111

when the nbn comes... im pretty sure everyone will be in good ping... though im sure some will be forced to stick with Adsl2 probably because their folks are cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.