• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Swapping CPU's

afkr22

Okay, here's my scenario. I have an Alienware M11x with a dual core processor that I use a lot for video games and such. My grandmother has an Antec Two Hundred with an i5 processor that she rarely ever uses, but uses it for things like e-mail when she does. Ignoring all ethical aspects of this, is it possible to swap the processors while everyone's gone, so that the i5 is being put to good use?

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
With the core 2 Duo's mobile and desktop series shared the same socket so thsi would have been possible, however the I series are a different socket type to teh Core 2 Duo so even if it was possible and have your laptop generate enough power to the CPU to allow it the Socket is different so it won't fit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards, BR

helSo.

unfortuantly not posible due to different sockets core 2 duo uses a LGA 775 socket where as an i5 uses a LGA 1156 socket

here is an article about the 2 processors

The Intel Core i5 series is based on two architectures:

1. Westmere (Core i5 6xx – Clarkdale – 32 nm – Dual Core)
2. Nehalem (Core i5 7xx – Lynnfield – 45 nm – Quad core)

Intel Core 2 Duo

Codenamed: Conroe, Allendale, Wolfdale – Core 2
Fabrication: 65 nm / 45 nm
Instruction set: X86, X86-64, MMX, SSE 4.1
Socket: LGA 775
Bus: 1333 MHz FSB
RAM: DDR2
Chipset Support: 965, P3x, G3x, P45, X48

Intel Core i5

Codenamed: Lynnfield, Clarkdale
Fabrication: 45 nm, 32 nm
Instruction set: X86, X86-64, MMX, SSE 4.2
Socket: LGA 1156
Bus: Direct Media Interface
RAM: DDR3
Chipset Support: P55, H55, H57, Q57

LGA 1156, Direct Media Interface, Smart Cache

Like the Intel Core i3 processors, The Core i5 are also native dual cores; they have both processors on the same die which leads to better processing speeds. The quadcore Core i5 processors are native Quad cores – 4 processors on the same die – much faster than two dual cores stitched together. While the Intel Core 2 Duo processors work on the LGA 775 socket, the new Core i3 and Core i5 processors use the LGA 1156 socket and support motherboards based on the following chipsets - P55, H55, H57, Q57.

All the Core i5 processors sport the DMI (Direct Media Interface) which is much faster than the FSB used in Core 2 Duo processors but is not as fast as Quick Path Interconnect in the Core i7. They also have a on die memory controller which helps in much faster memory access than the Core 2 Duo processors. They also support Smart Cache which allows cache memory sharing between the two cores reducing memory latencies.

sorce is http://www.pathikshah.com/blog/intel-co ... ifference/

regards

phill

The Admiral

You do realise that they're like, stuck into the motherboard inside your laptop don't you? And they'd be impossible to safely remove and install, even if they were compatible don't you?

Also, your C2D processor is a low-voltage processor, so going with an i5 presumably standard voltage processor, would mean it was being undervolted, and you'd probably have a net performance loss in the end.

How's uni going? I can't wait to start tutes and pracs, I'm so sick of doing nothing.

afkr22

The Admiral said:
You do realise that they're like, stuck into the motherboard inside your laptop don't you? And they'd be impossible to safely remove and install, even if they were compatible don't you?

Also, your C2D processor is a low-voltage processor, so going with an i5 presumably standard voltage processor, would mean it was being undervolted, and you'd probably have a net performance loss in the end.

How's uni going? I can't wait to start tutes and pracs, I'm so sick of doing nothing.
Yeah, I guess my computer runs well enough with the dual core any way. I can run all of my games with top graphics enabled. If that isn't enough, I've just permanently overclocked it, so it should be good for a while.

My first gaming lecture was amazing! It was pretty much a disguised Tetris lecture, taught by an indie female Yahtzee. My interior design class is just drawing lines and squares at the moment. We had to draw a sauna, I had a Creeper looking through the window of my sauna. The other two lectures are incredibly boring ones about how computers are going to change the world and basic databasing. I can't imagine going to many of those boring lectures. Oh, and our interior design tutor had parachute pants.

tl;dr: All my classes are perfectly normal.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out of interest Clank, what are you studying? A gaming lecture sounds like something that wouldn't normally be in a comp sci / eng sorta degree.

nelots

Everything will eventually fit with a hammer!

You bunch of amateur techies with the "Oh no, that can't be done" attitude.......... pfffftttttttttttttttt /fail
The voltage problem can be worked around by attaching some pubes to your cpu thats connected to a lemon for more JUICE!

afkr22

noobItUp said:
Out of interest Clank, what are you studying? A gaming lecture sounds like something that wouldn't normally be in a comp sci / eng sorta degree.
I'm doing a double degree in Corporate Systems Management/Games and Interactive Entertainment. I always say it in that order because Corporate Systems Management sounds extremely impressive, even though it's pretty easy. Also, I can still say I have a career in video games, which makes everyone jelly.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting choice there Clank.

Got to say that Corporate Systems Management doesn't mean a lot to me and I have been in IT for a while. Lets not let my ignorance get in the way of things tho :banana:

In any case, if you have a combo of Corporate systems and games, sounds like you want to work on an MMO. Anyone got Blizzard's number? Also it sounds like you have a metric f*ckton more idea on what direction you want your career to go than I did when I was at uni :D

The Admiral

Corporate Systems = Software Information Systems hey? Just setting up database systems for businesses kinda. I picked it as one of my majors too.

Sounds sweet. I'm doing crap programming, boring maths, and semi-ok intro to databases subject. It's mostly a repeat of IPT.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow - they are still teaching databases?

That knowledge is MUCH less relevant than when I did my degree back in the day.

Databases are always going to be around, but these days they are mostly a convenient method to persist data.

The Admiral

It's more for creating a software information system/corporate system using databases for a business. It's like, a big IT area now.