• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Who uses linux? + Cake's awesome CPU booster for ET

the whole cake

Hello fellow cakers
I have computer that run linux for my gaming delight. Who uses linux on their computer too? And what troubles/hacks have you come up with to increase your pleasure in game?
I have script which awaits ET to run and then boosts it to super non-nice CPU level. It also turns off compiz. It also uses the awesome ALSA hack which Matt Murdoch nicely gave to me.

U run it and get prompted for super-user password (gksu). And and then it will kill compiz and launch ET. About 2 minutes later (delay set on purpose) you will hear a beep and the CPU priority will be bumped up to maximum. You will see an instant jump in FPS.

I present for you teh code now. It is in 3 separate scripts because it makes use of AT to delay execution. U replace the string in your shortcuts with this instead of the normal ET. It will copy all parameters given to it to the regular ET. I has it set up to my game browser's settings for Wolf ET. Please place these all in the same folder and use etlaunch.sh as the file to run for ET.

Attachments

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hai Cake - wot distro you running?

I must say that noob is considering linux-ification of the noob PC at some point in the future. My reason: being p!ssed @ micro$oft for Vista. I bought an OEM of Vista with my new pewter about 12 months ago. This puts me out of the free upgrade to windows 7 which ppl who bought a month or 2 later get. This makes noob angry.

I have downloaded vmware workstation and have been looking at ubuntu 8.10. I really think that my next OS will be a freebee. Cant wait to look at what google put out in chrome OS.

the whole cake

noobItUp said:
Hai Cake - wot distro you running?

I must say that noob is considering linux-ification of the noob PC at some point in the future. My reason: being p!ssed @ micro$oft for Vista. I bought an OEM of Vista with my new pewter about 12 months ago. This puts me out of the free upgrade to windows 7 which ppl who bought a month or 2 later get. This makes noob angry.

I have downloaded vmware workstation and have been looking at ubuntu 8.10. I really think that my next OS will be a freebee. Cant wait to look at what google put out in chrome OS.
:) Welcome to the world of computers. Cake runs Ubuntu 9.04 at the moment on his desktop (what I play ET on). And I also run Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 on my Dell Mini 9.
To be honest I actually run a lot of systems. My UNIX shell in the states is FreeBSD - which I use all the time. And my other UNIX shell that I do all my server programming on is Debian (shellium). The beautiful thing is that they all run the same software despite being totally different systems.

Gotta love the nix world :) It really seems once you jump the Microsoft ship, computers are fun again. I am at your disposal for any help or advice. Just shine your torch into the sky and I will come running flapping my arms.