• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

win7 SP1 How To Upgrade To

i0nwr1t3r

Hi All ,
For those of you doing a new install or using windows update for the first time on win7.
The best way to stream line all the updates you have to download via windows update & save on unnecessary consumption of bandwidth I recommend doing the following steps.

The first time you run windows update don't let it choose which up dates to download , set it to manual update as depicted in the screenshots below.

Untick all the updates & manually select only this one update.

Update for Windows based Systems (KB976902)
This updates the driver stack for win7 so you will then be able to install Service Pack 1 via Windows Update.

RESTART your system & then run Windows Update again!
Scan for updates AGAIN!

There will be a new entry , click the untick all box at the top of the updates list & manually select to only install the following update.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

It takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour to install (Including Downloading) on average so don't panic if it seems to be taking a long time.

As always when installing a Service Pack do not have any programs running while doing this , not especially not an anti-virus!
It will scan the disc while the Service Pack is trying to install & don't install a service pack if you've had your machine running for a long time with a lot of programs running (too much memory used up).

After install the Service Pack restart your computer & go to windows update & RESCAN for updates , most of the updates will disappear after rescanning.

With Ultimate editions don't bother hiding the language pack updates until after the service pack is installed as they will only re-appear after you install the service pack upon returning to windows update!

Enjoy. :cool:

Attachments

matilda

DerpLyfe
Akh-Horus said:
I have disc's with sp1 integrated ready to roll hehehehehehehe
ion's post prompted me to create a slipstreamed Win7 install DVD last night and it took about two hours!! :<

i0nwr1t3r

matilda said:
Akh-Horus said:
I have disc's with sp1 integrated ready to roll hehehehehehehe
ion's post prompted me to create a slipstreamed Win7 install DVD last night and it took about two hours!! :<
Was that to create the ISO or to install?
Did you slipsteam any custom drivers (raid-wireless etc) into the the disc?

Create a bootable USB too , it's a lot quicker than installing off an optical drive I'm told.