• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

[Retail] Windows 8 won't be as expensive as you think...

CowsWithGuns

Administrator
Staff member
We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.When you use Windows.com to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant makes upgrading simple by walking you through the upgrade process step-by-step from purchase to download and then of course installation.

Taken from:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
wait wait wait, is this AUS or US? If its the latter we'll end up paying ludicrous amounts like with win7 -_-

i0nwr1t3r

I foresee a worldwide shortage of win XP licenses from resellers such as eBay etc seeking to cash in on a cheap upgrade to win8.

flynard

Is windows 8 good? Or is it another vista X( currently im running vista and im so happy to see how low this price is!

CowsWithGuns

Administrator
Staff member
If you have never experienced windows 7 you really need to. I still run vista on my laptop, w7 on my desktop. No comparison.

I have heard that windows 8 isn't going to be gamer friendly, but, not 100% sure about it as yet.

cccdfern

Administrator
Staff member
windows 8 is based off of the tablet/phone (I?)OS, so for a computer which has no 'touch screen' it's really not all that special

CowsWithGuns

Administrator
Staff member
windows 8 is based off of the tablet/phone (I?)OS, so for a computer which has no 'touch screen' it's really not all that special
Not really, they are designing it similar to the tablet phones OS because its super easy to use for the technologically intolerant, regardless of touch screen.

I did hear that you can set it back to look like windows rather than a tablet OS. Come to think of it they might just be skinning windows to look like a tablet OS for techno incompetents. :p

Trigger Happy

And they also got rid of the ability to go back to the default OS screen :O
Someone better fix that before I ever look at going to win 8, no real benefits over win 7 other than some security updates (unless you are into that UI), outside of that I don't think there are any benefits for people to move on past win 7.

Cheers

Glorix

i got a email from eb games saying mojand and 2 others that windows 8 will be bad for gaming so yea...