• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Homophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

iconoclasst

Joke I question the voracity of your "50 homosexuals in Newtown" statement. I think this comes under the category of hyperbole.

The statement that Homosexuals are Gay - worn by anyone would not offend me. I'm am starting to suspect that a lot of this neigh saying is simply a pride reaction to the past use of this word and your inability to accept the offence it causes.

I am heartened by the fact so many have looked at this link and only a few have expressed such combative opinions.

I wonder how many more people we might attract if this community was more inclusive. I wonder how many current players are actually Gay but aren't comfortable being open as some dominant homophobes seem to hold antiquated views on equality and reasonable treatment of their fellow man, and seem determined to spew these views to all and sundry.

I am not interested in changing anyones view. I accept that you are entitled to hold whatever opinion your friends tell you to have. (directed at Admiral obviously) Or if you want to form your own opinion then I would respect that too.

I am simply asking that players show me the appropriate respect by not using the term GAY in a derogatory fashion whilst I am on the OZ Server.

Trigger Happy

Icon, believe what you will about what you think my personality is, an online opinion doesn't phase me much at all.
I think this thread shows more about your personality than it does anyone else. If you don't think that my points are legitimate then you obviously just don't know how to deal with another point of view do you? The point of devils advocate is to try and demonstrate another point of view in a clearer way by using a similar situation that is clearly outrageous and showing how that situation remains true in the initial argument.
Anyway I guess this topic has gone sideways enough, you won't address any points from anyone here so there is no point reasoning with someone if they won't meet halfway. Perhaps if I just got on the "lol this thread is gay" bandwagon instead of actually trying to explain why many people use the word, I wouldn't have such a personality crisis.

Cheers

iconoclasst

Your need to explain the actions of others is noted and acknowledged. Thank you Princess Diana.

Perhaps you could look up the definition of Iconoclast.

nelots

Icono - your failure to grasp the context when the word 'ga.y' is used is bordering ignorance.
Get over yourself with this idea of ga.y bashing everytime the word is being used.

I mean will you be offended if somebody said "I'm having a gaytime" ? as in eating the nut coated icecream?
Whose the real bully here, everyone else whose using the word in a different context or you assuming everyone is a homophobe for using the word 'ga.y.'
U DO DA MAFFS!

iconoclasst

But I regularly have a Golden Gay Time. I don't understand your argument.

Also Nelots, if there is nothing wrong with it, why do you distort the spelling of the word. Are you trying to distance yourself from the actual word.

Please don't feel that you must be rude in order to get my attention.

amacide

ET Moderator
Well, there's that old saying about opinions and how everybody has them...... The world needs less opinions and more compassion................................................

Trigger Happy

Yes I am familiar with the meaning of iconoclast, something along the lines of a radical / non-conformist etc.
Your point is?

Cheers

iconoclasst

amacide said:
Well, there's that old saying about opinions and how everybody has them...... The world needs less opinions and more compassion................................................
Yes. Of Course you are right Amacide.

I hope I am not appearing to lack compassion for fellow community members. That is NOT my intention.

I have been contacted by a number of people (4 so far) expressing their surprise that I would even let people know that I am a gay man as they do not feel comfortable doing so. This saddens and annoys me.

I do not want to isolate myself from other members of the community - I simply ask that comments offensive to me and others be avoided (in game)

TRIG - an iconoclast is a dispeller of depply held beliefs or one who enjoys playing the role of Devil's Advocate. I thought you would like the term is all I was thinking.

Trigger Happy

There are also those on these forums that wouldn't admit they are a Christian either due to the same prejudices that occur. It offends me when people use the Lord's name in vain and other things along those lines. Is it something that will change though? Am I able to force habits that some may have had since their childhood? Not likely.
A lot of people here will have some sort of offense to something another person does or says, yet they won't get their knickers in a twist because they realise that the intent of these things are not aimed at anyone. I bring another point in the server such as swearing. Swearing is permitted on the server (in tolerable amounts) where if someone dies and swears, they are not punished. When they use swear words to abuse someone, then that person is punished.
If someone uses "gay" in a way that is not aimed at you or homosexuals in general, it will not be punished. If someone uses "gay" or any other word in a way that is abusive towards you or homosexuals, then those will be punished.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.