• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Just use pb

Synonym

Thekid said:
Antagonist said:
P.S BR can u tell those tf2 nubs to stay at there side of the paddock... cheers
F1 to that.
I think you will find that both the complaints section and the general hall are available to all members. I simply moved the topic to somewhere where it complies with our forum policies. You know, the ones we as leaders enforce. I honestly have no idea how PB works and what effects it has on server operations. That would be why I refrained from commenting on the issue.

If you have a problem with the clan being multi-divisional maybe you should look for a purely ET clan.

Trigger Happy

lKITl said:
Well said Trigger, but what is being done about training, it's how many years later?

An idea is maybe give someone like Joker the position to inform OZ to anyone he thinks is haxing, No actuly power to remove said hacker but the title of SHS (Supreme Hax Spotter) or someone that does know how to spot one.
It's ok having the likes of Ovvy,Horus, I0n to take action if needed,but 90% they is playin (and lately seem to be wrong).
Personaly it takes me some time to get to a verdict and many other as you stated it is a fine art.

So why is the high school PE teacher in charge of the maths department so to say!
Not many people have the ban stick in the first place so it isn't a huge issue if there are some OZ players that can't spot hackers, not everyone in the clan is here for moderating the server. Also, everyone has the chance to tell us who is hacking, we are a simple PM away. Besides, half the server probably don't want to sit around and watch people play, they want to play. OZ have that special privilege of getting to stop playing when people tell us to spec someone :p It isn't something most people want to do, especially if they are having a good game. If a good player like Joker wishes to keep an extra eye out for people that are hacking and want to take demos, we are all for it, but most of the time it is too much effort for most people to be bothered with.

Cheers

Death_Reincarnated

Trigger Happy said:
I'll admit that we at OZ need a bit more training when it comes to Hacker spotting, it takes a bit of an art to figure out who the good players are versus the hackers. We rely a lot on the regulars to help us. If you see someone hacking, let us know and if you are feeling really generous, tell that OZ member why you think and what in particular is giving it away so they can learn. Together the community is easily able to keep out the few hackers that we get these days in the game and we only really seem to get troubles when people troll OZ or use random alias' that the real problems arise.
I'm still waiting to get a reply on the video I sent in regarding a certain person suspected of haxing. My opinion stands as he is and I have the proof however like Triggs said it takes some art in figuring it out...especially if more than a simple wall-hack.

Anyways I'm willing to help out asess possible hackers and give my 2c. Playing this game for over 4yrs I've seen my fair share of haxors...although I hardly bother pestering admins about it.

Antagonist

Synonym said:
Thekid said:
Antagonist said:
P.S BR can u tell those tf2 nubs to stay at there side of the paddock... cheers
F1 to that.
I think you will find that both the complaints section and the general hall are available to all members. I simply moved the topic to somewhere where it complies with our forum policies. You know, the ones we as leaders enforce. I honestly have no idea how PB works and what effects it has on server operations. That would be why I refrained from commenting on the issue.

If you have a problem with the clan being multi-divisional maybe you should look for a purely ET clan.
i LOLD from now on your shall be hence forth known as "Blackhawk"

Overmars

ET Moderator
Yes, I have occasionally been wrong, as have others. It happens. The last time I was "wrong" the person was actually pretending to be haxing, and at least two other people saw it and commented that it was hax, and another PM'ed me about it as well. The reason I'm usually in spec in the first place checking someone out is because a couple of regs playing at the time have said that they are sus.

Generally, if there are people on server I can ask about it (Blusky, Joker, etc) they'll either say "That's fred, he's fine", or "Seems sus to me too", or "Yeah, they just got a new mouse" or whatever. And then I demo, and either review the demo and then come back and ban, or ban then review (quite often, they aren't there when you get back if you do it the other way around). I'm not an expert on hax (be quiet Pen) so I do submit to the rest of OZ when it's an issue. If it's a case of an oldskool botter, snapping continuously across the map and then behind 160 degree turn to HS, no, I don't demo, or submit it.

In terms of the banning, yes, there are things that we can do - but given that we're pretty much all adults here, there's plenty you can do too. Like, I don't know, maybe sticking with an alias for more than a day? If you are you, and everyone on the server knows that you are you, and we know that you are you, you won't get banned accidentally.

That also does wonders for the ET community, and you aren't now playing with a bunch of random names, they are people you know, and love, hate, love to hate, or hate to love.

woodhzbg

Some interesting reading here. It seems as if Pb isnt a catch all, i only suggested that as one more scientific method but if there are many ways around it i guess it might only catch the stupid. The lag factor i noticed went away when i upgraded my pc, went from single core to quad overclocked with 4x the ram and it is now much smoother. I know this is the opposite to what you said death_reincarnated but it made a huge difference.

It almost seems like an impossibilty to catch the real cheats. But, i like an old saying that goes " Its far better to have 10 criminals walk free than 1 innocent person go to jail"
So to that end, how about this for a suggestion, it might sound a bit out there but may work. Why not have a hack spotter run a wallhack themselves. Someone like ion or matilda who very rarely do anything to antagonise people, they just get on with it. That way you dont need to do shownormals later, you can see the twitches on the fly?

The only other small issue is, without sounding like a paranoid schizoid, its all good to have a rapport based system where player A can vouch for player B, but there is no accountability in that. An example is how many christian ministers are in jail for various things right now. "oh, he wouldnt do that" they said etc

Death_Reincarnated

Catching players who wall hack is a breeze and many know what to look for and how, the issue is the individuals who appear from time to time and hack in more complex ways; OZ IMO is not capable of noticing such haxoring techniques and therefore the expertese falls short in that regard.

As for the comment regarding lag factor going away - it is not the internet lag but hardware lag; setting 'affinity' to one CPU via task manager was one semi-successful way to resolve PB/ET issue even back as far as Internode ET gaming days. The moment PB was turned off many people saw this issue dissapear. It was not constant but it appeared in intermitent times and it was addressed to PB but never resolved. I also have read about this issue on several other forums in that time.

Not sure what the go is now or even perhaps it may have been caused by server setup in combination with PB....dunno but it did cause problems for a long time.