• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

internet dl laws

superMINGE

What are the laws on pirating/copying/downloading content here in oz? I heard before i came over that they were trying to make it possible for iSPs to ban your account etc if suspected? Or is it still sweet to rip files from piratebay :D

nelots

Downloading copyright content is fine as long as you log into chat-roulette daily to show the kiddies your block and tackle.
I hear they give you diplomatic immunity if you also spin around to drop a brownie.

Trigger Happy

It is probably illegal to download copyrighted material from such places but even so, they don't tend to target downloaders all too often. Generally they target those who upload the content in the first place. It gives them a stronger case against someone who is actively doing something wrong and being an enabler for those to download rather than attacking some poor uni student over a movie and a few songs.
Either way it's wrong so don't do it! (use encryption if you do ;))

Cheers

nelots

^Not really, all they need is to match the IP's and voila....... instant case against you.
Thing is most ISP's won't forward the information without legal subpoenas etc but eventually our nanny states will prevail and cock block all you pirates.
Just wait for Conroy to start on his next retarded project to see a real life version of willy bum bum!

Trigger Happy

nelots said:
^Not really, all they need is to match the IP's and voila....... instant case against you.
Thing is most ISP's won't forward the information without legal subpoenas etc but eventually our nanny states will prevail and cock block all you pirates.
Just wait for Conroy to start on his next retarded project to see a real life version of willy bum bum!
If you use encryption on your connection, all they can do is say that you accessed X site. If that site has some legitimate files on there too such as Ubuntu iso files etc, then who is to say that you weren't downloading that instead of a movie? If they can't see the data that is being passed around then there is no case, only speculation that you might have downloaded it.

Cheers

G-Train

I once got an email from Metallicas management threatening legal action as i downloaded some of their stuff from Napster.

Nothing ever happened.

Still <3 Metallica.

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
G-Train said:
I once got an email from Metallicas management threatening legal action as i downloaded some of their stuff from Napster.
Ahh napster. As a way of picking up viruses it was almost as good as a night on the town with cheekz and ulti.

Death_Reincarnated

When i was on diaulup I downloaded a new game for nintendo DS...first time I ever bothered using t**ent with dialup...and I instantly got an email of copyright infringion from my ISP....ON DIALUP!!! I was like WTF you serious...I took me 4hrs to download 30MB. They must have been tracking this upload..I was seriously laughing rather than being scared that I will get fined lol.

nelots

-OZ-noobItUp said:
Ahh napster. As a way of picking up viruses it was almost as good as a night on the town with cheekz and ulti.
Aye!! don't forget the un-lubed rubber chicken, roll of duct tape and some paper clips! and of course mustn't forget G's mum :)