• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Logitech G5 Mouse loses settings in game.

iconoclasst

I have a G5 mouse which I am quite dependant on. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... x=93&ty=77

Approximately a week ago I reinstalled XP and formatted my hard-drive. I reinstalled all software and there seems to be no issue with this other than the mouse settings just stop every now and then. I use the Pos and Neg sensitivity buttons to activate weapons so I set them to "keystroke" and enter the appropriate number for the weapon I want to select. This has always worked in the past and the settings have held.

Logitech forums are full of issues like this. I have tried a number of versions of setpoint including 6.15, then 4, then 4.2, now it is 4.72.

Can someone PLEASE tell me they have seen this before and then offer me a simple solution......? :roll:

A lot of logitech hardware owners are not happy with their products especially considering they cost top dollar. Do other people find logitech products inferior?

JoKeR

I find them very good personally. It may be to do with your g5 and not the setpoint. How long have you had your g5?

Fraggle

Given its almost 2 years old it may be on its way out or somehow in the reinstall (which is possible) the drivers have become corrupted.

Have you tried uninstall reinstal?
Have you searched for updated drivers?

It may just be time to start thinking about buying a new 1!

As to fnding Logitec inferior:
Its a good brand name (as in a house hold name) But I am not overly impressed with their products.
I had a webcam and after about maybe not quite 2 years I turned green on it... it still worked but the colour frelled up on it!
I use a logitec usb headset it cost like $70ish Ive used it for about 3/4 years now so...
To be honest I think it really depends on what logitec product you get.
I think their microphone/headsets are good ( but i think this is the area they speclize in) but im not keen (as in im not impressed) on the rest of their products!!

Thanx
Fraggle

i0nwr1t3r

You should speak to G-Train or Rainbow if you get the opportunity as they recommended this mouse for me also.
I don't use the set-point software as it starts griefing win7 but if it's only for ET then you can manually bind them into your cfg & the settings will stay regardless.

The current version of setpoint drivers btw is

# Title: SetPoint 6.20
# Software Version: 6.20.64
# Post Date: 11/17/2010
# Platform: Windows XP
# File Size: Approximately 25 Mb

I find their forums to be filled with complaints more than resolutions for problems like these.
Are you using XP 32 or 64 bit btw?

Cheers

i0n

iconoclasst

XP 32, Thanks ION. Don't know if I could bring myself to engage with G-Train - the guy freaks me out!

I guess I till try the 6.20 Setpoint first. Then investigate the binding option (of which I have little understanding however am still capable of learning new things) If all else fails I will smash it with a brick and buy something new.

I like buying new things but the next purchase was supposed to be mic so I can listen in on Jokers SEXY voice.

nelots

Roll back to the previous version setpoint, the version you ran prior to formatting or the version that came with your mouse since the new one is still a bit buggy.
When it comes to firmware updates, follow the simple rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

iconoclasst

The first try was the orignal setpoint version. That failed so I researched and found 4 was recommended but failed so I tried 4.2 and that failed.

I have now tried 6.2 a it ran for 5 minutes then did the same.

Can someone point me to the "Idiots guide" to binding mouse keys within a file? Do you modify etconfig or autoexec?

iconoclasst

That's a bit of a prick-tease my friend. If I remove setpoint I can't make the mouse keys do as I want. Do you have a simple solution for that? What's this binding I've heard about? How do I make that happen?

Great to see your still about Horus. I very much admire your comments in relation to moving on. You are very important to the entire ET Community.

nelots

Turn off setpoint and bind buttons/keys via in-game key options.
Otherwise learn to write up your own config.
I'm guessing your in game binds are conflicting with your setpoint settings causing your G5 to suffer temporary amnesia.

iconoclasst

When I tried that, ET would only recognise mouse 1 - 5. The other 4 buttons elicited no reaction to the in-game settings.

I can edit a etconfig or autoexec. I just don't know how to identify all of the buttons and attach a function.

Akh-Horus

Super Moderator
Staff member
iconoclasst said:
That's a bit of a prick-tease my friend. If I remove setpoint I can't make the mouse keys do as I want. Do you have a simple solution for that? What's this binding I've heard about? How do I make that happen?

Great to see your still about Horus. I very much admire your comments in relation to moving on. You are very important to the entire ET Community.
Thank you for that lovely comment mate - thank you....

I only bind the two side buttons and the right and left mouse buttons and leave it at that - too much to work with otherwise.

iconoclasst

OOOps - I knew this joke would come back to bite me on the arse.

I was just kidding G. I love your work. Been playin with you for years. You're fine.

So any advice re: the G5.

iconoclasst

No I think the lights stay on but I will check this - it just reverts to sensitivity buttons adjusting sensitivity. I read somewhere that this is a game detection issue so unticked game detection and rebooted. It was fine for about 10 minutes then did the same thing again.

Even after i exit the game, the sensitivity buttons are modifying the cursor sensitivity. If I open setpoint, check the settings and hit apply, this has no impact at all.

A reboot is the only thing to do.

This has been going on for a while now. I may need to consider a new one. I don't think I'll go Logitech again.

i0nwr1t3r

Try using the DPI buttons under the mouse wheel ( plus & minus ) or you've done that already?

Or is DPI having a heart attack ingame? just unplug the G5 wait 10 seconds & reconnect it , that usually helps though I don't know why a reset would be needed.

Cheers

i0n

iconoclasst

OK G-Train - I just payed for about 5 minutes and the error ocurred again. The lights on the mouse remain ON when the error occurs. If I use the + or - button, the light moves accordingly.

ION - You know it never occurred to me to pull it out and then plug it back in. I'm gonna try that now, have another play and see what happens.

I kinda hope THAT doesn't fix it as I will feel quite the fool. :roll: