• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

Modem and Router

Nico.

Hey guys,

i have a speedstream 4200 modem (supplied by my ISP Optus)
and a Belkin Wirekess G router.

I was looking through the belkins settings through this http://192.168.2.1/index.html

I then click Internet WAN and seen this..

Select your connection type:

Dynamic
A Dynamic type of connection is the most common. If you use a cable modem, then most likely you will have a dynamic connection. If you have a cable modem or you are not sure of your connection type, use this.

Static
A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes.

PPPoE
If you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type.

PPTP
[European Countries Only]. This type of connection is most common in European countries. If your ISP has specifically told you that you use PPTP and has supplied you with the proper PPTP information, then use this option.

Telstra BigPond
[Australia Only] Users of Telstra BigPond Cable or DSL will use this option to configure the connection.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

My current setting is Dynamic. But I then seen PPPoE
which says:

If you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type.

My answer is yes i do..

The Speedstream does have account and password on it.

I then click PPPoE on the Belkin..

It reboots but has no internet connection.. ?

This is really no issue to me but would my internet run better if it was on PPPoE instead of Dynamic ?

Cheers nico :)

(FKQ)Thompson

Whats the exact model of the wireless router?? are u sure its not a modem/router combo.

Oh and just re-read you post......

PPPoE and dynamic are really two different things.

PPPoE is a protocol for data communication its also used to authenticate your username and password to the ISP

Dynamic is the type of IP address your ISP supplies. In most cases it is dynamic unless you are a business or on TPG.

phatbass

nicco you need anyhelp with that router hit me up used to have 1 till i upgraded to wireless n still with belkin too :D n ftw!

i0nwr1t3r

Nico ,
Any IP that starts with 192.168. is an internal IP address & is only visible to the person who is behind the router , your link is not visible to anyone outside of your internal network afaik