• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

PC Does Not Want To Run

micky

So i (well dad) has a Pc Box that is broken in need of assistance.
When i say broken i mean not even bios will start (know this cause no bios beep when turned on),
No graphics out put, only power box fan runs.
Its pretty much just not working at all. Have taken a look inside and everything seems all right.
Not sure bout the power going into the motherboard. 2x12 socket but in two connections two wires are going in and one doesn't have any wires at all.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/hi ... ds/d915gag

Thats the motherboard.

Any suggestions ?

P.s. Help

Antagonist

either your power supply or motherboard usually if nothing is happening and if your power supply is turning on.. it only leaves 1 thing :p

i0nwr1t3r

The Intel® Desktop Board D915GAG supports a single Intel processor in an LGA775 socket.
DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

Do you have spare parts to swap out & run individual tests?

ie power supply , video card , memory?

If you have multiple memory sticks unplug all but one & swap them out each time you have tested if the machine boots (when it's off at the wall of course).
Swap out the video card if you have a spare.
I think that mother board has a 20 pin power supply connenector to the motherboard + a 4 pin connector for the Intel cpu.

If you work out which component is faulty you could ebay it but it is a redundant model , do not spend more than the bare minimum to keep it running!

Fraggle

Diagnosing hardware problems over the internet is nigh on impossible!

If its running on anything lower than SATA then yeah replace
If it has SATA then yeah try and fix it.
(unless you have a spare motherboard to catagorically test each part to find the fault,
your wasting your time! Because it wont even boot up theres no point in trying to do that without a spare motherboard to test)

KIT said its either the motherboard or the chip set or both, as the fans are running it has power so its not the power supply.
My advice though is strip the guts start again.
Besides its alot cheaper to strip the guts and replace
Than by a whole new system from either a retail store such as retrevision or a computor store!

1 peice of advice before you start, make sure you are EARTHED before you touch anything inside the sytem, or your wasting your time and money as you will short the system out before you get it working!!!!
Personally I have seen KIT fix 2 systems where 2 differant people forgot to earth themselves before they started and it fried their system!!
Your dont want that!
Good luck!!
Fraggle
Earthing out is easy touch something made of metal before you touch anything inside the tower, eg metal table etc.... and avoid anything that contains static electricity before commencing!! eg: try not to work on carpet or pat your cat or play with balloons etc....

micky

Well we don't exactly have the time to individually test each component.
although we could.

and Fraggle, Dad has a whole another 20 at least Pc's sitting in the garage that he got from the uni (free).
We do know a thing or two bout earthing, best option is to anti static on wrist attached to case and have Pc plugged in to wall but switch off
This way the static build up from your clothes as you work actually has a ground to go to, not the chips.

-OZ-Hicksy said:
any lights on the board?
Yes one, the one that says power is getting to the motherboard.

Also no video card just inbuilt

Thanks for the help guys.

nelots

Amateurs, take a hint from G's book, "Electronic fix its for dummies".

"Always work naked to prevent any static build up and to be sure to stick your wiener in the power socket for insurance."

i0nwr1t3r

micky said:
Well we don't exactly have the time to individually test each component.
although we could.

-OZ-Hicksy said:
any lights on the board?
Yes one, the one that says power is getting to the motherboard.

Also no video card just inbuilt
Sounds like dead onboard video , check d-sub (monitor) connector but if on video is fried installing a graphic card won't help you unless your BIOS was set to PCI /PCI-E as the 1st display
device then dropping a card into it will still work , if it was set to onboard video as 1st display device (usually default) you can't access the BIOS to change it (ie swap out the motherboard).

Don't go & purchase a PCI graphic card if you don't have one , cheaper to replace the motherboard as those graphic cards are not the standard & tend to cost more than any performance they grant would warrant!

(FKQ)Thompson

-OZ-i0nwr1t3r said:
Sounds like dead onboard video , check d-sub (monitor) connector but if on video is fried installing a graphic card won't help you unless your BIOS was set to PCI /PCI-E as the 1st display
device then dropping a card into it will still work , if it was set to onboard video as 1st display device (usually default) you can't access the BIOS to change it (ie swap out the motherboard).

Don't go & purchase a PCI graphic card if you don't have one , cheaper to replace the motherboard as those graphic cards are not the standard & tend to cost more than any performance they grant would warrant!
I would still expect the POST to run even if there is no graphics card to give some kind of beep code.

i0nwr1t3r

Just had a random thought , have you swapped put the battery?
Got given a skt 478 that wouldn't post ,BIOS beepbut the fans spun up & the power light on the mother board still worked & when I swapped out the battery , it posted!
If it's been unplugged or in storage for a while battery will have gone flat keeping the system settings while your unplugged.

G-Train

If no beeps, its a power supply.

Thomo knows the score.

Grab one from one of those uni machines and chuck it in.

And Cheekz, I only ever did that once.......

BTW, ive worked on hundreds of boxes(maybe thousands) and never worn one of those gay antistatic straps, had no incidents thus far, except for said weiner in socket.... :lol:

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yerm, listen to the beeps for they are wise and will tell you where the frell is located.

Only issue in my experience is getting on the interwebz with a toasted bit of kit to google the posting beeps, but since you are posting here you seem to have that covered.

micky

G-Train said:
BTW, ive worked on hundreds of boxes(maybe thousands) and never worn one of those gay antistatic straps, had no incidents thus far, except for said weiner in socket....
yeah i know what you mean. Just dropped some ram onto the carpet.
Still Works, will check the bios battery, although i thinks thats the Pc we just stole ram from.

amacide

ET Moderator
G-Train said:
BTW, ive worked on hundreds of boxes(maybe thousands) and never worn one of those gay antistatic straps, had no incidents thus far
So true..... more likely these days to snap CPU when loading in socket :-)