• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

A bit of Philophsy

Abolisher

Administrator
The Ship of Theseus is a grand, old, wooden battle ship. After sailing out to war, she returns damaged. Various small parts of the ship are replaced. This happens after all her ventures, and eventually large beams and other major structural features are replaced. Ultimately, over a period of many years, every part of the Ship of Theseus has been replaced.

Is the Ship of Theseus the same ship after all of this?

it was in my exam what you guys think!

noobItUp

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude, this is just a fancy version of the "My father's axe" thing.

If you replace the handle / axe head many times is it still the same axe?

noob says yes.

BTW: wot kind of strange-ass exam was this in?

micky

-OZ-noobItUp said:
BTW: wot kind of strange-ass exam was this in?
Philosophy DUH, just realised that you made a hash of that in the title Abolisher.

And
Well it depends. Are the pieces being replaced of the same structural strength.
If yes then it is still the same ship as the design is still there, but its had "maintenance"
If no then it is not the same ship as before as the boat is not the same as the design therefore it is a different boat.

Abolisher

Administrator
it was to be preserved in a muesuem so the replacements and repiars out be attempted to be identical to the once before NOT ugrades or anything

nelots

If it looks like a ship, smells like a ship and sails like a ship then yes it is a ship.
That being said if the repairs were made with identical materials with identical repair methods then yes the ship is the same.
Only way it can be different is when that dawg pimps yo ship with 90" rims, 3023094092340230 LCD screens and etc.

Trigger Happy

Death_Reincarnated said:
The ship can either be the same or not if we see it but if we dont see it then it can be both.
You just said the same thing twice essentially. According to that cat theory, the ship WILL either be one or the other when you see it but if we don't then it could be either.
However, that whole theory does not fit into this at all. This particular problem is nothing about us seeing it or not, aka the observation to find out what state it is in. The decision of whether it is the same or not comes down to your interpretation of what the same ship consists of. If you think the raw materials from the original ship makes up a ship, then it obviously isn't the same ship. If you think that the design makes a ship, then it may be the same ship. If you don't care what makes up a ship and only replied to this thread to show how your irrelevant theory doesn't belong in this thread, then you are clearly just awesome.

Cheers

Frogma

LOL at everyones philosophical apporach to this.

Its like Tucker's 'prisoner's dilemma' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma

If the ship is in the bermuda triangle he can either sink the other prisoners battleship and steal all the vintage cheddar for himself or he can anchor in the harbour and romance the governors wife while the other prisoner watches.

P.S: Trigger you are charged with a clear violation of frogma's law.

Sunncaeks

I see it as a re-visioned version of Hardy's paradox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy%27s_paradox

Basically, the ship can be the same, as well as being a new ship, and this ship can interact together in a way (like, say... sailing), without getting itself shipwrecked. Yet this is only if the interaction is not observed.

Trigger Happy

Its like the Monty Hall Problem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

If the ship Theseus is behind one of three doors and we pick door 1, Monty opens up door 3 and asks us if we want to switch to door 2. We are faced with the question of 'Will it increase our chances of finding Theseus if I change my answer to door 2'. Ultimately, if we wish to find Theseus we must solve this paradox to find the door in which Theseus lies behind.

Cheers

slo**

If the sum of its parts are equal to the sum of the parts of the original model, then it is the same ship.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
-OZ-Abolisher said:
The Ship of Theseus is a grand, old, wooden battle ship. After sailing out to war, she returns damaged. Various small parts of the ship are replaced. This happens after all her ventures, and eventually large beams and other major structural features are replaced. Ultimately, over a period of many years, every part of the Ship of Theseus has been replaced.

If you get a computer and call it BR's SMAWESOME COMPUTER 1, and you replace every single thing in it, and eventually even the case so it doesn't even look the same, due to "parts of the ship" being replaced, it may not even move or work the same as it did before, due to the changes and therefore it is not the same ship. And then you even upgrade the software on it from operating system -> farm animal search toolbars, then it is certainly not the same, you would get new results for a start with the farm animal search toolbar, as new entries would have been entered.

There we go, my god Philosophy sounds like an awesome subject! Hey is this one of those subjects as long as you can justify your answer there is no wrong or right answer!?

Sunncaeks

-OZ-Black Racoon said:
There we go, my god Philosophy sounds like an awesome subject! Hey is this one of those subjects as long as you can justify your answer there is no wrong or right answer!?

Welcome to the brilliance of Philosophy.

Messenjah

LOL at everyone's philosophical approach to this.

Its like 'Fraggle Redhead' theory. http://etozclan.com/forum/memberlist.ph ... file&u=165

If a person dyes their hair does that make them a ranga, or does their natural colour decide what term is used to describe their hair. Or if a ranga dyes their hair another colour do they adopt this new hair colour or are they still a ranga?

Abolisher

Administrator
-OZ-Black Racoon said:
[quote="-OZ-Abolisher":17fmmiw5]The Ship of Theseus is a grand, old, wooden battle ship. After sailing out to war, she returns damaged. Various small parts of the ship are replaced. This happens after all her ventures, and eventually large beams and other major structural features are replaced. Ultimately, over a period of many years, every part of the Ship of Theseus has been replaced.

If you get a computer and call it BR's SMAWESOME COMPUTER 1, and you replace every single thing in it, and eventually even the case so it doesn't even look the same, due to "parts of the ship" being replaced, it may not even move or work the same as it did before, due to the changes and therefore it is not the same ship. And then you even upgrade the software on it from operating system -> farm animal search toolbars, then it is certainly not the same, you would get new results for a start with the farm animal search toolbar, as new entries would have been entered.

There we go, my god Philosophy sounds like an awesome subject! Hey is this one of those subjects as long as you can justify your answer there is no wrong or right answer!?[/quote:17fmmiw5]

yeah it is its not about know what other dick heads say its if u can prove you point with sold logic u can get an A+ dependent on how strong your argument is next semester we get to o religion :D

Death_Reincarnated

-OZ-Trigger Happy said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory[/url]

Dont get me to explain it to you...took me the entire semester to comprehand this and understand the mathematics behind it (just the basics)...but it really comes down from Schrodingers equation and the theory based on the cat experiment (see below). You can relate this to the ship without even giving an explanation. :D