• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

ATB: More fun or less fun?

Whats your attitude on ATB?

• It works. I dont see any problem with ATB.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

the whole cake

We are all here to have fun. As of late I am seeing a zillion posts and complaints about ATB. I figured it time for a poll:
Do you want to give the moderators more time to work on ATB? Or do you want it gone completely with no ' couple more tweaks'?

Bare in mind that ATB is a tool to aid in making the server more fun to play on. Its obvious a number of passionate players are throwing a wobbly, including the whole cake. I want to see some decent stats on this. :flamer: :rnade:

Antagonist

mr admins sir.. well. trigger... we both know why u chucked this in.. but u cant stop stacking.. no matter how hard you try, the con's far out weight the pro's and as the cake said....ATB simply can't be configured to take into account human randomness.

blusky

It wasn't really a huge problem before, usually a !balance every few maps evened out the teams. I find ATB soooo frustrating and simply annoying - really what's the point of playing if for 20 minutes you are helping your team and then you get swapped? It's dumb.

It's not just high K/D players complaining either. Why? Because it doesn't work properly.

Trigger Happy

I'm all for getting rid of ATB.
As I said, if people are happy to be putteam'd or shuffled at admin discretion then ATB in my eyes can disappear. Balance is broken last I saw, but it may have been fixed with the new values and in which case I will make it a sticky command how I did the other ones.
So forall those who voted to get rid of ATB, well I still think you have to see the changes as Amacide did work hard to try and work out something. However, if it is really bad then there will be no hesitation to turn it off and just use admins to balance games :)

Cheers

what if late at night and there are no admins? then who will balance the teams??

if there is always a admin on (somehow) then i say get rid of ATB

cya on da field :rnade: :flamer:

<Pr0d1gY>

Joke :D

<Pr0d1gY> said:
what if late at night and there are no admins? then who will balance the teams??
!setlevel [bot]JohnKimble 8.

exec adminbot.cfg:

"say !shuffle; wait 2500; exec adminbot"

something like this that would work would be ... interesting.

the whole cake

Thats an idea!!!
Only shuffle the bots!!!!!!!
Bots dont give a crap if you swap the teams over. Personally I think thats a great idea.
Using bots as the pawns to balance up the teams. Let the machines do all the suffering.

blusky

The game was fine without ATB and was fixed with the odd !balance or !shuffle every now and then(minimal complaints), stop adding and tweaking things that are simply hindering everyones fun (Spawn invul + atb).

Right now it feels like the dev team are making gameplay worse.

CHRONIC

Voted middle one.. if it works it would be good.
Otherwise axis will almost always be stacked like it used to be

morbit

unless it was only to run at start of maps then it will never work, even admins are not suppose to shuffle mid map (last i checked) and if that's not the case then it should be a rule as it just destroys the round ,unless a vote is passed and majority agree on a shuffle then this would be ok.

im voting to get rid of it as it can not work properly as it assumes to much and we all know what assume does...it makes an ASS outa U and ME

xp save is forever so using xp doesnt help ...using xp gained since joining doesnt work as some ppl sit in spawn and just hand out ammo/health etc useless to team but gain xp fast using player rating doesnt work as player ratings are borked in general and arent a good indication as to which team is likely to win!!

Sunncaeks

Cake is aweomse 3rd person or not. heheh. He teachches me lots fo thigns that I d not undestand. :D

amacide

ET Moderator
CHRONIC said:
Otherwise axis will almost always be stacked like it used to be
Indeed... Maybe some players (generally those who play Axis) didn't realise how badly stacked teams used to be....
I've spent a lot of time watching ATB, and generally it does well. There have been some long 50/50 battles recently.
Sometimes it looks like it stacks a team one way... It only does that when one team is way under. So over the whole map it evens out :)

morbit said:
...using xp gained since joining doesnt work as some ppl sit in spawn and just hand out ammo/health etc useless to team but gain xp fast using player rating doesnt work as player ratings are borked in general and arent a good indication as to which team is likely to win!!
There are very few players that just sit in spawn handing out ammo/health.... Poor example to use 1 in 28 players as an argument.

Your point about PlayerRating is quite true... I have 0.490 or something PRW... Many skilled players have less PRW than I.... yet are much better.
Take Flekz for example - 0.420 PRW yet four times as many kills to deaths as myself...

As I've said previously, it is no mystery why that is... Skilled players are often on the losing team (which decides PRW value). Why??
In 1200 hours on OZ server I can only conclude it is due to skilled players stacking team (eg. Axis) and spending most the map at enemy spawn.

..then someone who actually cares about objective comes along and wins ;-)

Anyway, getting back to the point. There were some fixes to ATB recently. Hopefully they make ATB less annoying.
The major annoyance I currently see is ATB moving players while they are alive and fighting... Might be nice to fix that one day soon :)

Cheers.

Death_Reincarnated

G-Train said:
Take Flekz for example - 0.420 PRW yet four times as many kills to deaths as myself...
Thats cause he keeps stealin my kills :p
...and mine. :p x2

I only have been moved by ATB 4-5 times. Generally I check list and move myself over if the other side has less players or if I see that the game feels stacked. I prefer to get the underdogs to victory rather get my kills stolen :p. Its better for the better players as well; they can go against good opposition rather than get easy kills all the time. It gives them a chance to pracitse their strats and gives others a chance to make them lose their killing spree.