• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

GTX 460

Mockingjay01

I recently bought a Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb to replace the old 9500gt,
but ever since i got it, i've noticed that the increase in performance isn't as much as i thought it would be.
Infact, in some cases there is no increase at all.
just wondering if anyone else has this card and is having the same problems.
Also a solution (if there is one) would be nice
cheers

Oh and here's my setup.

ASUS m2n-x motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.5ghz (OC'd too 2.91ghz)
650 watt PSU
Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb
2gig ram

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Well.. if your getting great difficulty in games with the new card, it could possibly be your PSU struggling to supply the Power, considering you've OC your CPU already it seems, most likely have multiple fans connected up with your 5 volt rails. Did you connect all the required power connection to your card internally?

Also what Operating system are you running, and have you intsalled the latest drivers for your card?

Best Regards, BR

Mockingjay01

my PSU is more than capable of running this gpu and everything is connected properly.

i'm using windows 7 ultimate 32bit
and yes, i have installed latest drivers, tried the beta drivers and even used the old out of date drivers.
still no increase

i0nwr1t3r

Could you please post the make & model of your PSU & the model number of you Graphics card?

Did you read graphic card reviews before making your purchase?

Mockingjay01

the model number of the gpu is: GV-N460OC-1GI/
as for the PSU, i've had it for a while now and cant remember anything about it apart from the fact that its 650 watt.

and yes, I read many reviews and all of them said that this was a great card, not the best, but i got it for a good price so it was worth it.

olliesparks1111

i have the same problem with my gtx its probably because ur cpu is bottlenecking
its not good enough for the gtx 460.

atleast thats what im told... either that or its the psu

Mockingjay01

yeah, that's what i thought at first, but then i saw people with worse cpu's than mine running 460's and better on their rig.
and even if it was bottlenecked, it wouldn't be as bad as it is.
it's almost as if only half the card is working :/

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
Joke :D said:
need moar RAM! atleast 4GB for a 1GB card and a dual core
Actually good points raised as well as the bottle necking. 2GB of a ram isn't enough for newer games. I'd recommend another 2GB . Also check Task manager When your running your game, check the Ram/CPU Usage during it if either is near or completely maxed out you will run into problems not matter even if you had sli GTX 580 :).

Cheers, BR

Mockingjay01

funny story...
one of my ram sticks is stuck onto the mobo.
i kinda sorta maybe accidentally broke one of the clips and yeah its stuck there..
can you get 3gig ram sticks?

Joke :D

MaddKent said:
funny story...
i kinda sorta maybe accidentally broke one of the clips and yeah its stuck there..
probs, be prepared to pay alot though

Mockingjay01

MaddKent said:
[quote="Joke :D":3d31uutd]need moar RAM! atleast 4GB for a 1GB card and a dual core
funny story...
probs, be prepared to pay alot though[/quote:3d31uutd]
and that's the answer i was afraid of.

Black Racoon

Head Poncho
Staff member
MaddKent said:
MaddKent said:
[quote="Joke :D":3phcabsc]need moar RAM! atleast 4GB for a 1GB card and a dual core
funny story...
and that's the answer i was afraid of.[/quote:3phcabsc]

Wait if the clip broken that shouldn't stop you from taking out the stick.. Take a photo for us, I'm unsure of the situation your descirbing that could be prevnting you from removing it from the slot.

Best Regards, BR

Mockingjay01

Black Racoon said:
MaddKent said:
[quote="Joke :D":g8qb57b7]
MaddKent said:
[quote="Joke :D":g8qb57b7]need moar RAM! atleast 4GB for a 1GB card and a dual core
funny story...
and that's the answer i was afraid of.[/quote:g8qb57b7]

Wait if the clip broken that shouldn't stop you from taking out the stick.. Take a photo for us, I'm unsure of the situation your descirbing that could be prevnting you from removing it from the slot.

Best Regards, BR[/quote:g8qb57b7]
iPhone is repaired next week i'll take a photo then
it's not the actual clip that is broken, but the lever which releases the stick from the motherboard snapped off.
i could try force it out, but im not sure how much damage that would do to the ram stick/motherboard.

G-Train

Lol, its a 32bit OS so only capable of addressing 3gb total. Just get another 1gb stick and see how it goes.

Either that or install win7 64bit and add extra ram.

Cheers

G

nelots

G-Train said:
Lol, its a 32bit OS so only capable of addressing 3gb total. Just get another 1gb stick and see how it goes.
Either that or install win7 64bit and add extra ram.
Cheers
G
Pffftttttt, I have 4gb ram on a 32bit OS!
U MAD? :banana: