• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

how does KD work?

Hicksy

i thought it was as simple as u kill more than than u die and it goes up but i can get like 30 odd kills and 12 deaths and it goes down lol

so what does actually determine a positive kd outcome from a map?

(FKQ)Thompson

I believe the KD is determined for total time played on the server. So if you have played under the same ET key for a period of time the fewer deaths may push the radio a little down. (I think) =)

Trigger Happy

This has been answered somewhere before.
From the doc's though:
When not set to 0 etpub will track a player's ability to win against good teams using an ELO type statistic similar to chess. Each win will increase a player's rating based on how hard the opposing team was. Skilled teams defeating less skilled teams will result in very few points whereas an relatively low- rated team defeating a good team will result in more points. Player rating also takes into account the number of players on each team (less points when a very large defeats a small one) and which side tends to win more often on the current map (e.g. Allies tend to win tc_base).
Cheers

Trigger Happy

My bad. It is the same thing though, they use the same system but base the variables on the weapons and types of kills:

When not set to 0 etpub will track a player's killing ability using an ELO type statistic similar to chess. Each kill will increase a player's kill rating based on how hard the kill was. Killing unskilled players will result in very few points whereas an unskilled player killing a skilled player will result in more points. Kill rating also takes into account the weapon used (less for arty, more for knife).
Cheers

Hicksy

i dunno bro coz i do it with a sten sometimes lol and same thing its just strange when it actually does go up and when it goes down.

Messenjah

Kill rating also takes into account the weapon used (less for arty, more for knife).
Thats why the KD system on OZ is pretty pointless. The KD system assumes weapon damages are close to default

Trigger Happy

-OZ-Hicksy said:
i dunno bro coz i do it with a sten sometimes lol and same thing its just strange when it actually does go up and when it goes down.
Well if you kill lots of noobs then it won't go up much, if you kill lots of pros then it will go up heaps. Kill lots of pros with a knife and it will go up insanely, kill lots with arty and it won't go up much. Die to lots of noobs and it will go down lots, die to lots of kniving noobs and you will go down further. Die to lots of pros with arty and it won't go down much.
It is a simple system on how it works, as others have pointed out it isn't fantastic but the logic behind it is easy to understand. Again, the damage values skew it too since it is easier now to get kills with "harder" weapons and hence why some KD are high. Also killing lots of bots will get the KD up, knife 10 in a row in the back and you go up staggeringly.

Cheers