• Changes to Server go to this thread http://overzealousgamers.com/threads/etpub-changelog.6665/

HSC Thoughts

stiNGer

Anyone currently doing the HSC exam feel free to post your thoughts on completed exams and upcoming ones. also post your schedule if you like.

for me;

English paper 1: 21st October
English paper 2: 23rd October
General Maths: 26th October
Biology : 29th October
Economics: 5th November
IT (VET): 13th November (last day and it sux balls, most of my frends finish and celebrate on the 5th)

My thoughts for paper one were, the creative writing was abit restrictive with the comment about "celebrating" underneath teh stimulus, had to twist my prepared one quite abit at the end. Only being able to use ONE related text for the AOS essay almost screwed me entirely.

I finished with 2 seconds to go.

HaPpY

doing HSC in 1 year OMG
subjects atm:
Mathematics (2 unit)
Standard english
Biology
Earth & Enviro scrience
Senior science (had to drop ancient so i picked this up, f.ck u ancient teacher, f.cking cant teach)
Engineering studies

i hav 2 see my careers advisor 4 more info, hopefully i can do a lower maths now and do a bridging course later on, but im only being hopeful

stiNGer

HaPpY said:
doing HSC in 1 year OMG
subjects atm:
Mathematics (2 unit)
Standard english
Biology
Earth & Enviro scrience
Senior science (had to drop ancient so i picked this up, f.ck u ancient teacher, f.cking cant teach)
Engineering studies

i hav 2 see my careers advisor 4 more info, hopefully i can do a lower maths now and do a bridging course later on, but im only being hopeful
the gap between 2 unit advanced maths and 2 unit general maths is a large one.

IMO they should have an intermediate subject because comparing general maths to advanced is like comparing rocket science to senior science. there really is no comparison, i dropped out also cos my advanced maths teacher was a c.nt.

Advanced english is a bitch and due to the large volume of students scales like a piece of camel poop. It is double the work of all other subjects, has 2 exams instead of one and will bore the crap out of you as well as making absoloutly no sense and stressing you out to no end because there is no material and the people that teach it speak in gibberish.

Hope that cleared things up for you :D

PS. if any one wants my notes for a subject msg me before i have a mass deletion.

keith

Advanced maths is pretty easy. Fucking Extension is hard though. Oh and I'm doing:
3 Unit Mathematics Extension 1.
Advanced English.
Physics.
Multimedia.
Business Studies.
Computing Apps.

The Multimedia major project is really irritating me abd busting my balls.

Stinger, what UAI are you looking to achieve?

keith

HaPpY said:
-OZ-keith said:
Stinger, what UAI are you looking to achieve?
i heard its now ATAR or somtin
its not UAI?
and a perfect 100 isnt possible?
Corrected. I just remembered that now.
Yes, the highest possible percentile is 99.95 I think.

HaPpY

lol wats with the double fail quote haha
but yea it stupid now
i guess scaling might b changed as well
*fingers crossed*

stiNGer

scaling has been adjusted slightly but it wont affect you as the ATAR cut offs have been adjusted accordingly.

im hoping for anything with a 9 infront.

keith

Fixed the fail quoting.

And, do you have any study tips/guides? How do you prepare for exams and stuff?

stiNGer

-OZ-keith said:
Fixed the fail quoting.

And, do you have any study tips/guides? How do you prepare for exams and stuff?
form good habits now, cos i was like, yer i will work when the time comes, it doesn't matter now. But now i find it almost impossible to study at home because im just not used to it.

Keep past assessments as the material u used can be reused as the teachers that marked them will not be marking the final exams.

I have study guides that i am willing to sell at the end of these exams, they include:

HSC Biology EXCEL
HSC Biology Revise in a month CORE
Top Notes: Advanced English Module A (comparative study of texts and context), Frankenstein and Blade Runner
Top Notes: Advanced English Module B (critical study of texts), Gwen Harwood
Top Notes: Advanced English Module C (conflicting perspectives) , Julius Caesar

Two of the core sites that help students the most are:
www.boredofstudies.org/
www.hsc.csu.edu.au

as for specific subject help;
English: your gonna hate it, just keep doing practice essays and towards the end practice papers.
Maths: depending on what level just do past papers and excersises from worksheets you will no doubt be given, its one of those subjects that is easy if you do it continuously throughout but hard if you leave it.
Biology: MASSIVE workload, it is IMPERATIVE that you do work throughout the year as the content is F.UCKING MASSIVE, and IMPOSSIBLE to cover in less than a month, probs more depending on your option topic.
Economics: This topic is surprisingly conceptual and will require you to learn concepts rather than theory most of the time, of course there is theory but this is easily kept on top of with a textbook. it is teh concepts you need to study.
IT (VET): Easiest subject out there, dont do any work for it, its a waste of time, studied half an hour b4 trial and only lost marks for incorrect structure.

I can probs add more, but cant think at the moment, by all means continue to ask questions.

PS. can this be stickied for the HSC period?

stiNGer

Did the second and last english paper today, the module one.

Pretty sure ill get alright marks in sections 1 and 2 and screwed section 3 tho.... hopefully overall i get 70s

Thnx for the sticky, i will add more sites and resources as i come across them in my cleanup :D